Chevron Supreme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Chevron Supreme still a good oil? Ive been a big fan of Chevron products, they always work quite well. I purchase this oil from Costco by the case.

Ive read many things.. i know it used to be the favorite back in the day around here but is the formulation still good? Is Mobil Super or Castrol GTX a better option? And are there differences in formulation from 5W-30 or 10W-30. Im trying to decide on switching to Delo 400 XLE Synblend 10W-30 but afraid of using a diesel oil in my Toyota.

It should really be quite good. It's obviously API SN, ILSAC GF-5 approved. It still has a good amount of molybdenum and boron. If this was available near me I would buy it in a heartbeat. Really the formulation of Chevron Havoline and Chevron Supreme are actually remarkably similar now. Run this and keep on rolling.

Any reason to use a 10W-30 over a 5W-30? The manual calls for 5-30 or 10-30 but I heard the 5-30 Supreme is actually a synblend and different formulation?

The 5w30 is definitely a synthetic blend. And I think the 10w30 may well be syn blend as well. But not a 100 percent sure of that part. The formulation of both is very likely very similar. 100-150 ppm of molybdenum and around 90-100 ppm of boron.

Chevron Supreme (CS) 5w-30 is a syn-blend, with a great add pack. CS 10w-30 does not contain a "synthetic" base stock. Though, Chevron's base stocks are tops.

I use the 5w-30 in the more tropical (yet cold) parts of southcentral Alaska. It works well down to -25 degs F temps we see here. Personally, I wouldn't use a blend in temps colder than that -- fully syn products only in colder temps. I run this oil for 4 to 5K miles with standard Purolator filters or the newer Fram Ultra filters. Use the Fram Ultra's mostly now -- ordered off of Amazon for a cost equal with that of the lesser quality Purolator cellulose paper filters. This CS is aptly applied to my 2006 1/2-ton Silverado with a 5.3L.

When I find Pennzoil Platinum (PP) for a decent price, I stock up and run it in my 2013 SUV requiring a DEXOS-1 oil. With PP oil, I run Fram Ultra or Bosch Distance Plus filters at 6500 to 7K OC's. I would extend PP beyond 6 to 7K miles...

Last edited:
Good stuff, I'm a fan
smile.gif

All you have do is go on Walmart.com and have it shipped to the store in 2 days. Free shipping with orders over $35.

It is very good oil. If you don't have any Chevron Supreme close to where you live, then just buy Chevron Havoline instead if you have that in your area.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I have 0 around me..... Thus... Why you need to send me some
smile.gif

Amazon has it.

Originally Posted By: SteveG4
Chevron Supreme (CS) 5w-30 is a syn-blend, with a great add pack. CS 10w-30 does not contain a "synthetic" base stock. Though, Chevron's base stocks are tops.

I use the 5w-30 in the more tropical (yet cold) parts of southcentral Alaska. It works well down to -25 degs F temps we see here. Personally, I wouldn't use a blend in temps colder than that -- fully syn products only in colder temps. I run this oil for 4 to 5K miles with standard Purolator filters or the newer Fram Ultra filters. Use the Fram Ultra's mostly now -- ordered off of Amazon for a cost equal with that of the lesser quality Purolator cellulose paper filters. This CS is aptly applied to my 2006 1/2-ton Silverado with a 5.3L.

When I find Pennzoil Platinum (PP) for a decent price, I stock up and run it in my 2013 SUV requiring a DEXOS-1 oil. With PP oil, I run Fram Ultra or Bosch Distance Plus filters at 6500 to 7K OC's. I would extend PP beyond 6 to 7K miles...

Hey fellow Alaskan, where are you finding Chevron Supreme is a blend? I've never seen anything other than it's a straight conventional oil

Regardless I've used it at -40F in 5w30 and it's worked for me in my Land Cruiser through a winter.

Originally Posted By: jayg

Hey fellow Alaskan, where are you finding Chevron Supreme is a blend? I've never seen anything other than it's a straight conventional oil

Regardless I've used it at -40F in 5w30 and it's worked for me in my Land Cruiser through a winter.

Hi Mate, I'm not from Alaska but check out this Chevron Supreme PDS [Here]

For the 5W20 and 5W30 it says
Quote:
This synthetic blend engine oil ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back