Proper Generator Shut Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a generator that's only used during power outages and is stored the rest of the time what is the proper way to shut them down?

Turn the key to OFF and kill it or turn the fuel cock off and let it starve and die?

Thanks in advance!

Fuel tank is 5g capacity and filled with Chevron 91 w/ Stabil 360 additive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MadAmos
Fuel off let it run till it starts to die then full choke to empty the carb.

This is the procedure I follow, except I gradually engage the choke to keep it running as smoothly as possible as the carb empties.

I do the same thing. It's served me well for the last 16 years with my Subaru Generator. Never a carb problem. Choke increased carefully at the last minute to keep it running. It eventually goes lean and dies, so no risk of washing cylinder walls on shutdown.

I have a 5KW Powermate with a Subaru engine. In between runs I use Sta-Bil and shut the engine down by turning off the fuel valve. The gen is 10 years old and it starts on the second or third pull after every 3-4 month run.

This is how I do things.

If it has a metal tank, I store it completely full with non-ethanol fuel and Stabil to prevent the tank from rusting. Turn the petcock, and run the engine until it dies.

If it has a plastic tank, I store it empty, and let the engine run until it dies.

About every 3 months, I'll pull my generator out of storage, and run it for about 45 minutes with a portable 1500 watt heater plugged into it to exercise it. It always starts on the first pull. I change the oil every two years in these conditions, UNLESS I have to actually use it, in which case I change the oil every 50 hours (no oil filter).

Originally Posted By: Padawan

This is the procedure I follow, except I gradually engage the choke to keep it running as smoothly as possible as the carb empties.

Yes, same here.
Once it stumbles for sure, go ahead and hit the "off switch" so the automatic voltage regulator doesn't try to keep up as RPM falls off.

AND drain the tank of gas...

I run our back-up generator a couple times a year. (Fall, Spring) I always turn off the fuel and let it run to a stop this way. Never had to take the carb apart yet and I'm using E-10 with no fuel additive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lubener

AND drain the tank of gas...

I like to turn the valve off and keep the tank full.

With my Yamaha EF2000is inverter generator I just turn off the fuel valve, run the carb dry and leave it for the winter. Going on my 5th year and so far, no issues with starting in the spring. One year I forgot to drain the carb and the float stuck in the closed position. Had to tap the float bowl a couple times to get it to drop.

Whatever technique you choose, remove the load before you shut it down. Otherwise, it may damage the generator or anything plugged in.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Whatever technique you choose, remove the load before you shut it down. Otherwise, it may damage the generator or anything plugged in.

+1. A must.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: javacontour

+1. A must.

Not just for the generator but for anything hooked up to it as well. I always remove the load from the generator before shutting down.

One would think that there would be a system in place to mitigate damage to generator and devices that could possibly occur if it runs out of fuel?

FWIW unless you're fogging the engine I don't think it's a good idea to run it out of fuel. Stabilized gas in the carb has worked for me. Start it a couple times a year and if it's not used up all the gas in the tank in a year or so, drain it and fill it up w/new gas.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
FWIW unless you're fogging the engine I don't think it's a good idea to run it out of fuel. Stabilized gas in the carb has worked for me. Start it a couple times a year and if it's not used up all the gas in the tank in a year or so, drain it and fill it up w/new gas.

+1
I never drain the tank or run the carb dry in any of my OPE. I start and run everything once a month.
I keep all fuel treated with Stabil 360 Marine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back