Smart home - Nexia vs SmartThings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have both Nexia and SmartThings in my new home in DE. Both to remotely monitor the home from NY. I think SmartThings is a better system since it connects to more devices, but the Trane thermostats are Nexia based so no choice. I doubt I could replace the Trane thermostats given the sophistication of the Trane heat pump system.

Anyone have views on SmartThings or Nexia and how they compare?

If you are going to be away from a home in the winter, and the thermostat has batteries, be sure to replace the batteries on a regularly. If a thermostat with batteries stops working because the batteries went dead, water pipes could freeze and break causing an extreme amount of damage. It would be worth it to use lithium batteries.

Last edited:
I am thinking the thermostat does not have a battery. If it stores the settings in flash memory no battery should be needed, except maybe to set the time.

Well pump is turned off when we are not there in the winter.

Looking to get a solenoid valve installed next to the pump tank that SmartThings can close if a leak is detected in the warm weather. Lawn irrigation runs in warm weather so pump must be left on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back