The Jeep was hit

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
I've been hesitant to post this, since it isn't back from the body shop yet, but since I have the estimate and the work is being performed, I decided it would be time to share.

Headed home from work about a week and a half ago, I was hit by a '94 Chevy 1/2-ton on the passenger rear wheel. I was in the turning lane headed east on a major 4-lane with a combined centre turn-lane and he exited a driveway to the south, headed north, hit me, and then fled the scene. I called 911, somebody else had already called 911, presumably with the plate (which I didn't get) and he was apprehended a few hours later by the local PD. He wasn't charged with what I would expect given the incident, however. I was informed by the officer that he wished to pursue it outside of insurance, which I flatly refused, given the damage and the fact that he left the scene.

Body shop quote is just shy of $9,000.00. It was indicated, plainly, that it would be more than that once they got into it.

The wheel alone is $2,000 to replace, and they are doing the suspension, axle, hub....etc. All OEM parts from Chrysler, plus new trim, door protector, wheel liner, bumper cover...etc.

The body shop is the same one that did the work on my M5, so I am 100% confident in their ability to perfectly match the paint, not use body fill.....etc. They will bake it and it will match OEM hardness as well. I expect it will be around $10K once all is said and done.

Rear quarter panel is pushed-in at the bottom, but the most damage is to the wheel, hub and suspension, which has developed significant camber and caster, with the wheel leaning inward and toeing in substantially, as evident in the pictures.

And the other side in comparison:

Very sorry that you have to deal with this. It sounds like you have a top notch repair shop.

I am shocked that the other driver was not charged with leaving the scene of an accident and that the police even suggested the idea of handling this without involving insurance. There has to be more to their reasons, as in: something is going on that appears to be a cover up of some type.

Just Googled this:
"An auto accident can leave anyone feeling disoriented, shaken up, and scared. ... Under the Criminal Code of Canada, “Fail to Stop at the Scene of an Accident” is a federal offence. “Fail to Remain at the scene of an accident” is an offence under the Highway Traffic Act of Ontario."

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Very sorry that you have to deal with this. It sounds like you have a top notch repair shop.

I am shocked that the other driver was not charged with leaving the scene of an accident, and that the police even suggested the idea of handling this without involving insurance. There has to be more to their reasons, as in something out of line is happening.

There is, but I'm not at liberty to divulge that information on here, so I'll have to leave it at that. You've already picked-up on the abject perversion of the situation as it applies legally, I'm sure you can figure out what happened
wink.gif

Dam, that sucks. [censored] are everywhere. Glad you are getting it fixed right way
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
This happened in Ontario? my guess would be that the perp is a cop or related to cop, or related to someone of significant influence to the police department.

Glad it will all be fine for you, but something's going on here that stinks. Don't tell me here or feel need to share - NOMB.

Aw man that sucks... Now the title will have an accident registered against it so it would be worth less if you went to sell it. I hate this about accidents.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Aw man that sucks... Now the title will have an accident registered against it so it would be worth less if you went to sell it. I hate this about accidents.
frown.gif

Yes, I was thinking about trading it in on the Trackhawk, but now it will be worth less, which makes that far less viable
frown.gif

I hate having a vehicle with an accident in its history, but given the ticket $ on this hit, I may end up just having to keep it. Not that that's unpleasant, it's a beautiful vehicle, I just hate the mental side of a vehicle having been impacted, it's a psychological thing.

Ouch, he nailed you pretty good, good call going through insurance. What's the "reported to police" sticker?

Bummer that the suspension got it. If not for that you would be in an OK place.

When our van was hit, twice in the same place, each job was $6k which included new body panels (liftgate), but no structural damage.

Good luck with getting it all back to normal!

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Ouch, he nailed you pretty good, good call going through insurance. What's the "reported to police" sticker?

Standard fare here, any collision gets reported to the Collision Reporting Centre, which puts a sticker on the impact spot so that police know it has been reported.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Bummer that the suspension got it. If not for that you would be in an OK place.

When our van was hit, twice in the same place, each job was $6k which included new body panels (liftgate), but no structural damage.

Good luck with getting it all back to normal!

Thanks!

At least the body shop is amazing, I have complete confidence in their work.

For some crimes, the death penalty is far too lenient; this is an excellent example...
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
not use body fill

If they said that, they're lying bigly. Body filler is simply how modern vehicles are fixed. Every major repair will involve filler; OEM parts come with dents on them, new quarter panels get filler over the welds, et cetera. There's nothing wrong with it.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
not use body fill

If they said that, they're lying bigly. Body filler is simply how modern vehicles are fixed. Every major repair will involve filler; OEM parts come with dents on them, new quarter panels get filler over the welds, et cetera. There's nothing wrong with it.

I watched the guy do the repair on my M5, had pulled the panel out with tiny spot welds until it was perfectly flat, then did a zinc coating, then painted it. He's not lying, he's just amazing at the work he does.

He told me flat-out that he hates using filler and will only use it when absolutely necessary.

I have experience with his quality of work, and it is 2nd to none. He was able to perfectly match my LeMans blue as well, including texture and everything. It was as good as new, no matter what angle you looked at it from, which is difficult for an OEM BMW colour that shifts from purple to navy depending on the angle of approach.

Glad you weren't on a motorcycle. At first I thought you had a ton of neg camber on that wheel but then saw the shot of the other rear wheel and realised the other driver put that camber in for you.
eek.gif
Probably have to replace all the rear drive and suspension components I'd think. Hope it gets resolved asap and in your favor to the max.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Glad you weren't on a motorcycle. At first I thought you had a ton of neg camber on that wheel but then saw the shot of the other rear wheel and realised the other driver put that camber in for you.
eek.gif
Probably have to replace all the rear drive and suspension components I'd think. Hope it gets resolved asap and in your favor to the max.

That's exactly what they are doing, hence the price.

Vehicle damage is tacked on to your title that affects value at sale time??? Must be a Canadian thing.

EDIT: Does insurance compensate you for diminished value? Is your vehicle history thing a government mandated thing, different than the haphazard CarFax system in the U.S.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Vehicle damage is tacked on to your title that affect value at sale time??? Must be a Canadian thing.

Shows up in the vehicle history and has a negative impact on resale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back