Rockauto - switching warehouses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WHY?!?

I add one oil filter, and all of a sudden the stuff is coming from A, B, C, and D instead of just warehouse A, or B?

Take the one filter out - everything is back to normal.

I swear, I used to like ordering from them, but this "warehouse roulette" (with all the extra shipping charges) kills me.

I've noticed getting a slightly more expensive part, by a dollar or two might yield much cheaper shipping charges. Plus I've read returns can be a pain.

I never used to think the shipping address matters, but every time I use them, I have them ship to my work address and because it's a business, they always knock off a little extra on the shipping so it ends up being cheaper than whatever they quoted.

Also if you look at the icons, if they have a truck symbol next to some parts, it means it's coming from the same warehouse that you already have in your car so sometimes picking a part that's a door or two more works out cheaper if they can all come from the same warehouse. What I've noticed is that all discounted clearance items seem to come from some specific warehouse so that if you get any regular priced items, it never comes from that clearance warehouse.

The only thing that bothers me about them is the extra warehouse charges. I often change my order slightly to avoid them.

I've noticed the warehouse thing a bit too...it's made me modify orders to avoid it. Sometimes..getting that extra part in a separate order is cheaper than if it gets combined with the original order.

I have had to file some warranty returns with them...and that has gotten a WHOLE lot easier. Last couple things I did'nt even have to ship back to them.

They're worth checking out. I doubt they ever lose money. Amazon/Ebay sellers might, shipping to me way off in the far corner of the country.
wink.gif

It's been mentioned before.
Altering the same order multiple times showed me that the warehouse assignments change as you sample about.
It's dishonest.
It can't be the result of multiple warehouses stocking the same thing because there aren't that many warehouses.
It stinks.

But somehow, the shipping from just one source is real fair.

This is one time I call it a game. I'll get all huffy some other time.

NOTE: I have 22 RockAuto magnets on my fridge (so ~40 orders total) and only 7 return addresses.

I probably need more excitement in my life (well, duh, I post on BITOG), but I actually enjoy dinking around with the parts choices, the RA shipping algorithm, and shipping warehouses.

Last edited:
I always do a mock order with RA and then put the items in to Amazon to see who has the total cheapest price.
Sometimes it's RockAuto, sometimes it's Amazon. I recently got some wheel cylinders from RockAuto that were under $3/each that were priced at $20 on Amazon.
However, a day or two later I got a pair of brake drums that were cheaper on Amazon. When shipping is included brake drums are usually cheaper on Amazon.
Closeouts, such as a wheel cylinder, can usually be sourced cheaper on Rock Auto.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

WHY?!?

I add one oil filter, and all of a sudden the stuff is coming from A, B, C, and D instead of just warehouse A, or B?

Take the one filter out - everything is back to normal.

I swear, I used to like ordering from them, but this "warehouse roulette" (with all the extra shipping charges) kills me.

That one's easy. The oil filter ships from a different warehouse, and the rest of the order tries to rebalance to put something in with the filter, and then try to get the rest down to a lower shipping price.

Yes, sometimes RA doesn't work out to the lowest because of shipping. Sometimes nothing can touch their prices, even with shipping. I comparison shop there, assuming I have time to receive the part (usually), and it's something not very heavy in case I have to return (sometimes).

I have had a big difference in shipping cost if I wait a day or two to order.
Seems like a new supply arrives at the warehouse and changes shipping location.

I still find their prices including shipping cheaper than the local Advance/AZ/Pep Boys

I bought a CV Drive Shaft for our Toyota Avalon with 2nd day air shipping from RA and it was still cheaper than NAPA with 5-7 day shipping which would have put it 3 times more than RA. Auto Zone and O'Reilys were similar and all 4 (NAPA, Auto Zone, O'Reilys and CarQuest) didn't have it in stock and had to be shipped in.

Originally Posted By: HangFire

That one's easy. The oil filter ships from a different warehouse, and the rest of the order tries to rebalance to put something in with the filter, and then try to get the rest down to a lower shipping price.

OK, that might explain it.

No way I am placing an order if all of a sudden one $1.19 wiper blade or $1.47 oil filter now costs an additional $7.99 to ship from "warehouse D"

Originally Posted By: khittner
.... but I actually enjoy dinking around with the parts choices, the RA shipping algorithm, and shipping warehouses.

I do not.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I do not.

I can totally understand that. While warehouse origin can be controlled manually, it is a bit of a pain, and on a complex order from lots of warehouses, can be quite time consuming.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I've noticed getting a slightly more expensive part, by a dollar or two might yield much cheaper shipping charges. Plus I've read returns can be a pain.

I just returned a Centric rotor which had a slight blemish and it could not have been easier or more efficient.

Last edited:
If you have something in your cart, Rock Auto has a little truck symbol next to items that will be coming from the same warehouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back