Canada...$50 for 5 qt Castrol Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was talking to a guy from Canada at Walmart as he grabbed 4 ...5qt jugs of Castrol Edge for $25 a piece and he said it's $50 a jug over there. Wow! Is everything more expensive there or mainly oil?

I would imagine some things are especially since they use liters instead of quarts. Us Americans buy gas by the gallon. Thinking out loud there. The taxes in Canada May also be higher; I may be wrong though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our jugs of Castrol Edge or M1 can be had for around $35 canadian taxes included during sales. Our quasi-automotive department store, Canadian Tire has these sales often enough to never have to worry about buying oil for full price. This is especially true once you discover bitog and hoarding oil becomes an increasingly acceptable behavior.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Our jugs of Castrol Edge or M1 can be had for around $35 canadian taxes included during sales. Our quasi-automotive department store, Canadian Tire has these sales often enough to never have to worry about buying oil for full price. This is especially true once you discover bitog and hoarding oil becomes an increasingly acceptable behavior.

This. Generally buy them at CT for $35, applies to both Castrol and Mobil 1. I bought all of the 0w-40 they had in stock the last time it was on sale.

The Canadian dollar is 79 cents to the U.S. dollar. So assuming goods are imported, they will be about 25% more expensive in Canada relative to the U.S. Plus, I'm sure taxes are higher, as are transportation costs (fuel, regulations, etc.).

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
The Canadian dollar is 79 cents to the U.S. dollar. So assuming goods are imported, they will be about 25% more expensive in Canada relative to the U.S. Plus, I'm sure taxes are higher, as are transportation costs (fuel, regulations, etc.).

Even when the dollar is at parity, we are still significantly more expensive than US goods, just is more encouraging to shop to the south at that point, as you save a ton without the exchange hit.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Was talking to a guy from Canada at Walmart as he grabbed 4 ...5qt jugs of Castrol Edge for $25 a piece and he said it's $50 a jug over there. Wow! Is everything more expensive there or mainly oil?

And this is why I buy Amsoil because it's cheaper than this and better IMO. It's shipped to my door and I'm not supporting Walmart which I hate.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/castrol-edge-spt-5w30-5-l/6000016942063

Last edited:
Walmart USA = Decent oil pricing with low mark ups.

Walmart CAN = The most expensive place to buy oil.

Even when you factor in the dollar difference...oil at Walmart in Canada is stupid expensive and not a very good selection.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
1 litre is larger by about 2 oz than 1 US Quart (0.946 litre).

Other way around

I was in Wal-Mart at the beginning of November and they had the $20 rebate coupons for Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic jugs, which were on sale the same day at Canadian Tire for $25. So $5 for 4.7 litres of oil. (Canadian Tire didn't have the coupons on the shelf).

MSRP for Pennzoil Platinum is 49.99 for the 4.73l jug (4.97 US quarts) and only $2 more for the 5l jug (5.28 US Quarts). Almost a third of a quart more for $US 1.56 is a pretty decent deal, wait for a sale, and away you go.

By the way I bought a Mobil1 10W-30 as top-up oil for $C 6.50 ($US 5.07) a litre at Wal-Mart that day. I don't understand people who can't find good deals on oil in Canada, I don't have much trouble.

Other way around

1 litre is equal to 1.05669 US Quarts.

Ergo, a 5L jug is 5.28 quarts, whilst a 5 quart jug is 4.73L

smile.gif

Other way around

?? How does 0.946 litre (= 1 US Quart) become larger than 1.00 litre?

Other way around

?? How does 0.946 litre (= 1 US Quart) become larger than 1.00 litre?

Your right...I was looking at the conversion wrong. Just a dumb American.
lol.gif

Other way around

You may be confusing US dry measure with US liquid measure. Oil is liquid measure. The Metric system and the old British Imperial system did not differentiate between dry and liquid measure, they are the same, but that's not the case with the US Measures.

For regular price, $50 a jug is actually lower than reality. Check Canadian Tire or Walmart Canada pages. It's usually a couple dollars more than that. But, specials are common. Those two retailers think a 100% markup on oil is acceptable, whereas no one else in the industry does it that way. It certainly doesn't happen in the States.

Originally Posted By: Garak
For regular price, $50 a jug is actually lower than reality. Check Canadian Tire or Walmart Canada pages. It's usually a couple dollars more than that. But, specials are common. Those two retailers think a 100% markup on oil is acceptable, whereas no one else in the industry does it that way. It certainly doesn't happen in the States.

They place oil on the shelf at MSRP. I'm not sure how that can be construed as evil or some nebulous conspiracy that differs from retailers in the US (because it doesn't). Then they have everyday discounts and sales. Same as anywhere.

4.4 and 4.7 l jugs are usually under $C 50 ($US 39) MSRP, but 5 l jugs can be $C 52 ($US 40.50) for top priced synthetics. If you don't insist on the elite brands you can find oil as inexpensive as anyone would want, synthetic and conventional.

Plus, the price is the price. Whining about it won't help. Try importing some oil and see how cheap it ends up being.

Maybe I could whine about how you can buy a front-load washer and dryer pair in the UK for 440 pounds ($C 740 $US 570). And they can whine about the price of computers to us. If there was truly a large price discrepancy then you (or someone) could make money importing oil; that's how commerce works. Yet no-one does? Wonder why?

Canadian Tire has 5 liter jugs of Castrol Edge Titanium (including 0w40 and 5w40) on sale this weekend for $C27. That's about $USD4.10 a quart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back