Buying a house! Hard to find a non hoa area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Coprolite
HOAs arose due to lack of zoning and codes down here. Most of the area is ETJ Houston, which basically means the wild west. The HOAs step in and do what municipalities do elsewhere. Buying a house in the Houston area takes a lot of due diligence. Our current property raxes are >3.6% with no signs of abatement.

I think many of the complainers would be the first to put a boat in the driveway while cursing the Joneses because they have 5 cars parked on the lawn 24/7

Pure projection.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Originally Posted By: thunderfog
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
No HOA in my neighborhood. If people don't like something about your house, they call the police code enforcement officer.

That doesn't always do the trick. An example of an HOA rule can be no flags allowed besides the American flag. If your neighbor down the street hangs a swastika flag, police can't do anything about that. Meanwhile, no one will ever buy your place with that kind of neighbor. HOA offers gray-area protections like that.

It's even simpler than that for my HOA. Ours has rules about the color of the roof shingle you use, since a neighborhood can start looking really low grade when every house has a different color and style of roof (unless we're talking $500K+ high end homes).

Or an even simpler example - on trash day you must bring your polycart back "inside" (out of sight) once it is dark out. If it weren't for this rule and the enforcement of it, I swear some people would leave their polycart on the street all year long.

Are you THAT terrified of your own shadow?

HOA's are the lowest form of Government. If you think its hard to attract good, honorable politicians then try filling an HOA board. One sociopath in your HOA can destroy any chance of harmony. Been there, done that, never going back.

Around here the HOA's were created out of necessity because local units of Governments (mostly Townships) did not want the duty of enforcement of codes and road maintenance and repair. They still collect the same property taxes but managed to shed some of the responsibilities.

Last edited:
Boats in driveway are hideous. That is why HOAs exist.

Maybe see if in HOA you can build a side area for boat. I live against(not in) an executive neighborhood with likely rule against that permanently but over winter likely for plowing too they allow a side area for some massive boats and sailboats.

My neighbor not in HOA had hicks vile at first but then brought in equipment to make nice areas to store lobster boat, lobster traps, Jeep and a trailer very neatly. My street of 6 homes has home values from $250k all the way to $1 million and $3 million.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
My brother has a $900K house and if you check (not change) the oil in your driveway you'll get a letter from HOA warning you.

If your driveway is exposed where you work I see why. No need to get that as neighbors first impression selling your million dollar Home.

My brother has a $900K house and if you check (not change) the oil in your driveway you'll get a letter from HOA warning you.

$900k houses have roomy garages, so I can see why an HOA in that kind of neighborhood would have that rule
27.gif

Our HOA mainly exists to pay for mowing and maintenance of common areas and signage at the entrances to the subdivision, along with a couple of detention pond basins. We have rules pertaining to fencing types and trash cans being put away. The reality is, a HOA can come in handy if a neighbor is a slob, but I've found that peer pressure works on most people...the prettier my lawn and landscaping is, the prettier it becomes at the homes on either side of me, and it filters out both directions over a year or two period of time.

We have a 72 hour rule about boats and RVs and everyone seems to respect that.

I'm building in a subdivision with TWO HOAs...one for the main subdivision and a 2nd for mowing/landscaping and snow removal to my front door in the "empty nester" homes...worth every nickel to never have to mow again.

Originally Posted By: madRiver

If your driveway is exposed where you work I see why. No need to get that as neighbors first impression selling your million dollar Home.

I find it disappointing that parts of our society have degenerated into such elitist trash that they would actually pass on a home because they saw a neighbor checking their oil.

Must be what the electronic oil level monitors are about. Making sure a person never has to endure the terror of seeing another person check their oil ever again.

I was asked to be the president of our small 51 lot sub-division when it became dormant so I know how they are supposed to operate. I most certainly agree that there are good ones, bad ones and ones that would make the devil blush. I could go into all the difficulties, and horrors I faced but don't have the time.

If all places are like ours was, when a house is sold in an HOA managed neighborhood, a copy of the covenants is provided at closing. A document is also required to be signed by the buyer agreeing to abide by these covenants as a condition for the purchase to go through. Bottom line is if you don't like, or agree, with the HOA, or the covenants, then buy elsewhere. Unless something was done illegally by the HOA, you have no defense for not following the covenants.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Sierra048

If all places are like ours was, when a house is sold in an HOA managed neighborhood, a copy of the covenants is provided at closing. A document is also required to be signed by the buyer agreeing to abide by these covenants as a condition for the purchase to go through. Bottom line is if you don't like, or agree, with the HOA, or the covenants, then buy elsewhere. Unless something was done illegally by the HOA, you have no defense for not following the covenants.

Simple as that. Don't like Fords, don't buy a Ford. Don't like rules to keep things tidy? Don't buy. Buying in an HOA is VOLUNTARY, the only valid complaint is if they don't enforce their rules or do it arbitrarily. Or maybe changing rules but this isn't about that. Again, the OP's problem isn't about HOAs.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

Simple as that. Don't like Fords, don't buy a Ford. Don't like rules to keep things tidy? Don't buy. Buying in an HOA is VOLUNTARY, the only valid complaint is if they don't enforce their rules or do it arbitrarily. Or maybe changing rules but this isn't about that. Again, the OP's problem isn't about HOAs.

It's the arbitrariness that can creep in. "Can't noticeably change the exterior" can turn into "must buy siding in a color/style not made for 25 years." "No work vehicles" turns into "No PT cruisers (because they're on truck chassis.)"

Then if you get some yahoo fighting the rules the HOA can raise your "tax" for their legal fees.

A few years ago i was exploring houses for sale in a subdivision when I was toying with (and still am) selling our maintenance intensive house and property and going back to subdivision life.

I went to an open house, 180k house in a suburb of Indy, well kept homes, all around 15 plus years old. I did not know it had an HOA until the realtor mentioned the nominal fee. It paid for a little private park, and plowing of the streets because people voted on paying to have a private contractor to plow because the town always plowed the city streets in that subdivision last. Ok, sounds great.

I asked to see the covenants and she handed me a list, one of the things prohibited were sheds. It clearly stated NO sheds. I noticed several houses including the one I was looking at had sheds.

I was perplexed and asked about it and she told me that the rule wasn't really enforced anymore, so long as the shed wasn't an eyesore.

Confusing. If that's how people felt, maybe the rule should be changed to allow sheds, maybe specify what shed size you can have and what type of repair it should be in, but instead enough people thought it was silly and ignored the unenforced rule.

I am not very smart so I get confused easily and I dont understand how people can justify following some rules and ignoring others. I need to clearly understand the rules and expectations. If its a hit and a miss I find it frustrating.

The problem with this in my mind is before you know it most or all of the rules are unenforced and the neighborhood begins a downward slide.

If I were to buy a house that had an HOA again, which is unlikely, I would want to know the rules and I want those rules enforced.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

I find it disappointing that parts of our society have degenerated into such elitist trash that they would actually pass on a home because they saw a neighbor checking their oil.

I seriously doubt just "checking their oil" is the real issue. Thats a most minor thing, but could it lead to a junk, dirty SUV sitting up on blocks for months on end, because someone is "fixing it"?

Thats what the HOA's are trying to avoid.

Must be what the electronic oil level monitors are about. Making sure a person never has to endure the terror of seeing another person check their oil ever again.

I think what bothers folks is a car up on ramps with a wheel(s) removed, hood up while some goes out and gets auto parts. Or a guy who decides to sell used yard equipment for a living and uses his driveway as storage for the ones waiting for repair. The best part for security leaves a flood light on the stuff all night. White trash!

When searching for my house 16.5 years ago, I specifically avoided any listings of HOA homes.

A couple guys at work pay HOA fees on their condo/townhomes...somewhere a little north of $200 a month. I don't know if there is a difference between those types of buildings vs actual houses.

Calculating that fee to the time in my home: $39,600!! Right on about 33% of my original mortgage principle! Even with the upgrades and repairs done, I'm glad I went this route.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Toy4x4

A couple guys at work pay HOA fees on their condo/townhomes...somewhere a little north of $200 a month.

That's high. Someone mentioned $80/quarter in this thread, ours will be under $50/month. We plan to use the amenities as much as possible and get some additional value out of it. For sure HOAs aren't for everyone.

I think what bothers folks is a car up on ramps with a wheel(s) removed, hood up while some goes out and gets auto parts. Or a guy who decides to sell used yard equipment for a living and uses his driveway as storage for the ones waiting for repair. The best part for security leaves a flood light on the stuff all night. White trash!

I would much rather have that than deal with a bunch of tin-plated busybodies.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665

I seriously doubt just "checking their oil" is the real issue. Thats a most minor thing, but could it lead to a junk, dirty SUV sitting up on blocks for months on end, because someone is "fixing it"?

Thats what the HOA's are trying to avoid.

I guess I have a different perspective than a lot of this country. I live in an area of mostly well-to-do retired free-spirits. Lots of guys here have Jeeps, muscle cars, boats, motorcycles etc, parked at their house that they like to wrench on on the weekends.

I've never seen an open hood as Soviet tanks crossing the Fulda Gap.

Then again, the 900k+ home prices in my area are probably keeping the riff raff out at this point.

I guess I have a different perspective than a lot of this country. I live in an area of mostly well-to-do retired free-spirits. Lots of guys here have Jeeps, muscle cars, boats, motorcycles etc, parked at their house that they like to wrench on on the weekends.

Yeah, well seeing the '17 Maserati in your sig puts you in a little different situation than me having a guy up the street storing 7 old low value cars in his front yard. As our house will be going on the market in a few months I wish they were gone but I'm thankful I'm not right beside him.

Nice car.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back