Toughman OCI competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it would be awesome to see a BITOG OCI competition. Lets see your Penzoil platinum and Fram ultras run with a 30k OCI. Lets see Dollar general motor oil with a Chinese filter run a 15k oci.

It would be interesting to have a Toughmanesque competition in regards to OCI.

You would have to drive alot which I no longer do, and have enough disposible income to repair or replace you vehicle if the limit were pushed too far, which I do not have. So sadly i can not take part in the BITOG Toughman, but is anyone else interested?

The cost there for me would be too great.

I'll stick with my conservative OCI.

In 2011 I did get an Audi 80 from a fellow soldier for free though. It had an OLD Fram can installed. He owned the car for 2 years and never changed the oil.

I didn't either. Just let it ride.

There was a situation where my parents did a Toughman OCI on their van either inadvertently or thru apathy.

I changed the Oil on my parents 02 2.4l Caravan sometime back in 2005, I used Mobil one 5w30 and a mobil one filter. I periodically ask my father if he changed the oil periodically about a year after that and he told me he did.

Well come 2009 or so and 20k to 30k miles later I looked at the dipstick and the oil looked dirty, I asked him and he said it had been a while since it was changed.

So I Got the stuff and changed it for them and lo an behold there was a fairly rusty mobil one oil filter on there which I know was the one I had put on.

I wish I still had that filter to cut open. It would have been interesting to do a UOA on it as well.

Last edited:
About 20 or so years ago, I ran a Motorcraft FL-1A on a Ford 400M 2-bbl V8 for 30,000 miles with 3-10K OCI's (15W-40 farm tractor oil) and after cutting it open, I could see no damage... and other than some very small carbon bits, it looked just fine and I probably could have kept running it.

I know of several vehicles in the 1990's that were running Mobil 1 oil to 50,000 miles.

My brother had a big 1979 with a 305, Ford cougar that had 250K on it when he bought it. He used it as a college car and it had slow rear seal leaks and some other oil leaks and probably burned oil as well, It leaked and burned oil to the point where he was adding a qt every 500 miles or so, so it like changing oil by proxy. He did change filters every 10 k or so and use the cheapest 10w30 oil he could find. That car had about 400 k on it when he finally traded it in for something newer.

I'm on the extended OCI train for non-turbo engines. Not 30k, but I'll use a quality synthetic and no longer worry about running the OLM to 0%

I see it everyday, lube stickers don't mean much to some people - 5 years, 40 or 50,000km between oil changes. Seldom a problem, engines and oils can handle it no worries.

In order to truly be like a Toughman contest, prior to performing the oil change you would need to film your self Flailing a Flurry of Haymakers, bar room brawl style, until you're gassed out by 30 seconds in.

I won't run a cheap china filter. But I'll run a EG and RK oil. Already run those for 10k miles. What's another 5k miles?

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I won't run a cheap china filter. But I'll run a EG and RK oil. Already run those for 10k miles. What's another 5k miles?

True. Of course the spirit of the tough-man is pushing it to the razor sharp edge. Would you run 20k on that? Could you? Whats the limit?

In a true tough man competition its not over until someone ends up in the hospital or bleeding.... Ahh to be a teenager again.

Last edited:
Well the OCI Tough-man isn't is for everyone, including me. I just think it would be interesting to see just how far you can go.

Last edited:
I thought this was going to be a contest to see who could change their oil without the use of any tools (no oil filter wrench, no sockets etc.)

Now that would be a real tough man. Using garbage filters or oil is just dumb.

Last edited:
heard it trough the grapevine (my mechanic) but here is my
Toughwoman/(more like ToyotaWoman) variant:
80k miles
original factory toyota filter and oil
engine died and found it's place on a dealer's floor to educate consumers about maintenance

The mechanic was the Dad of the ToughWoman.....
You should have seen the look on his face while telling me his daughter story.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
heard it trough the grapevine (my mechanic) but here is my
Toughwoman/(more like ToyotaWoman) variant:
80k miles
original factory toyota filter and oil
engine died and found it's place on a dealer's floor to educate consumers about maintenance

The mechanic was the Dad of the ToughWoman.....
You should have seen the look on his face while telling me his daughter story.

See if she would have changed it at 70k before the motor died, she would have been the winner. That's a Tough(wo)man right there. No cares given, brand new car, no oil changes, almost got to 100k.

I wonder how long that filter was in bypass for....

Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool
Well the OCI Tough-man isn't is for everyone, including me. I just think it would be interesting to see just how far you can go.

It depends on the engine design, but like I said...... 50,000 miles on Mobil 1 and those vehicles ran for many, many, many additional miles and oil changes years after that.

Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool
Originally Posted By: dnewton3

True. Of course the spirit of the tough-man is pushing it to the razor sharp edge. Would you run 20k on that? Could you? Whats the limit?

In a true tough man competition its not over until someone ends up in the hospital or bleeding.... Ahh to be a teenager again.

You are correct.

I have interest, but must confess my situation (currently two kids in college) puts me in a position where any failure is unacceptable. Therefore a "tough man" by your definition rules me out because I cannot endure such expenses at this time in my life.

My son had (past tense) a good candidate car; 1998 ZX2 that he only paid $200 for. It ran fine until he went away this summer for a job, and the mice destroyed the wiring harnesses in various, hard-to-reach places, and we just decided to get him a "new" (used) CVLX to take to school his freshman year. That old ZX2 would have been fun to run to it's death. Actually, it ran pretty darn well for being a rusty, beaten old hag with 220k miles on it. Gave it to Good Will Industries.

And so I bow out of your challenge, not because I'm afraid, but because I'm unwilling to tolerate the risk with such tight finances at this time in my life. Catch me in 5 years, and I might be willing to take you up on it. I do love a good OCI challenge!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back