Autonomous school bus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha.
Not so sure id trust that...although some will say, one less creepy bus driver. Also, what happens when children start to bully someone, who steps in?

Yes the future will solve literally every problem and no concept will have any downsides.

Every so often there is a news story about a bus mis hap and the driver's heroism in saving the kids. I'll go with the hard working, often a single mother , human.

Adult should be on board driving or not; carload of school age children with no adult custodian?

Will a red flashing light and a robot voice deter the evil doers

I believe in RI there are two on board; one for driving, the other gets off an assures the safety of the kids getting off the bus.

Last edited:
Most school buses have a crew of 2 adults: driver and chaperone. The latter will handle discipline and help in emergencies.

Those new buses look too small to really even call them buses.

Never. We live on a rural property with miles of grid roads before we hit pavement. The roads can turn to sh!t in a hurry in heavy rain, they can be full of snow drifts, if they are freshly graded or graveled they can be treacherous. You need an experienced person to analyze the roads and know when to go or when to pull the pin.

While you could have people monitoring cameras at a remote location, it's not fool proof. The cameras could be covered up. And what's gonna stop a beating? A 9-11 call is going to be too late. Those buses might work at Father Flanagan's Boys Town.

I wouldn't be concerned about the safety of a self driving school bus at all. Self driving cars have proved to be a lot less likely to be in an accident than normal drivers.

I would however be concerned that my child wasn't being supervised. Bullying could go on, or a medical emergency that requires someone to call for help. Or if there's an accident there's no one to help the kids.

Originally Posted By: mk378
Most school buses have a crew of 2 adults: driver and chaperone. The latter will handle discipline and help in emergencies.

Those new buses look too small to really even call them buses.

When did that start? When I was in school there was only Ms Crabtree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back