Network help - solved but odd

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a bunch of devices on my network. 15ish

This am my network lost internet and peeking into router(tp link c9) found it had no wan connection. Struggled with reboots and no dice. Finally a laptop to cable modem (arris) worked.

Anyway I finally thought what changed and remember attaching via network cable a $40 Blue ray with smart functions to watch amazon video last nite. I unplugged it and it worked !? Plugged back and lost wan.

I found blue ray player locked up State.

Can one item on network really do this?

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I am assuming the BR didn't have the same IP as the gateway? That certainly would garbage up a lot of tables.

I guess that is possible and would make sense. The only way it can get an ip is from router however was in a self connect mode that may have bugs. It uses the play station UI for the apps on Blu Ray.

The only thing ever plugged into the cable modem should be the router. If the modem has 4 ethernet plugs you only ever use one of them when you have an external router.

If it's an Arris DG860 I think they tend to dump your router off DHCP from time to time. I have one from cable co and I ended up setting my Cisco wireless router to static IP w/ the Arris's IP and gateway info etc typed into the static IP settings in the Cisco. Not the ISP's gateway and info mind you, but the Arris's. No more loss of internet. The symptom was always the loss of internet but the wireless network remained connected and explorable. I leave the Arris on DHCP but have a client IP reservation for the Cisco router in the Arris's DHCP options. That put an end to internet dropping off the wireless network.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I am assuming the BR didn't have the same IP as the gateway? That certainly would garbage up a lot of tables.

I guess that is possible and would make sense. The only way it can get an ip is from router however was in a self connect mode that may have bugs. It uses the play station UI for the apps on Blu Ray.

Unless of course it had a static IP that was the same as the gateway from the onset, which would definitely cause what you experienced.

I would assume the UI has a settings menu that would allow you to see and modify the network settings? If so, start there.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
If it's an Arris DG860 I think they tend to dump your router off DHCP from time to time. I have one from cable co and I ended up setting my Cisco wireless router to static IP w/ the Arris's IP and gateway info etc typed into the static IP settings in the Cisco. No more loss of internet. The symptom was always the loss of internet but the wireless network remained connected and explorable. I leave the Arris on DHCP but have a client IP reservation for the Cisco router in the Arris's DHCP options. That put an end to internet dropping off the wireless network.

Am I to assume from your description that you don't have the Arris in bridge mode? IE, your router isn't getting an external IP, but rather one on in the private range?

Yes. I don't think the DG860 has a bridge mode option anywhere that I remember. The IP of the Arris that I set my Cisco to is in fact in the private range.

Yes. I don't think the DG860 has a bridge mode option anywhere that I remember. The IP of the Arris that I set my Cisco to is in fact in the private range.

Dirty double-NAT, ewww, LOL
wink.gif

Try this:

http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/showthread.php?115003-Set-up-Arris-DG860-to-bridge-mode

What is wrong with double NAT'ing ?

You are encapsulating the packets twice, which can cause screwy issues with MTU, which then in turn can cause speed issues, pages not loading....etc. It's generally just a bad idea.

The video of linked on that page shows turning off WAN dhcp. I don't think that's a good idea. What if ISP swaps DNS servers?

So do i need to connect my laptop up to the arris like it says on that page or can I just leave router connected? why must the coax be disconnected?

The video of linked on that page shows turning off WAN dhcp. I don't think that's a good idea. What if ISP swaps DNS servers?

I'd just follow the instructions regarding putting it into Bridge mode, that's it. In bridge mode, your router will get the external IP and you can use OpenDNS, Google DNS, Norton DNS or your ISP's DNS as assigned via DHCP at that juncture.

So do i need to connect my laptop up to the arris like it says on that page or can I just leave router connected? why must the coax be disconnected?

I believe the instructions are just so that configuration information isn't downloaded from the ISP before making the change. This may not actually be a requirement. And no, you don't have to follow it exactly, the idea is to get into the cable modem and turn it into a bridge.

With the modem in bridge mode, your router will pull DHCP all the way through from the cable system, getting a public IP and the company's DNS servers.

But the router needs to be set back to DHCP first, correct? (have it on static to the arris now...)

Thanks for the tip. will likely wait until tomorrow though, since Walking Dead is on tonight and I watch via SlingTV stream over this setup to my TV (via Chromecast) and don't want to futz it up and miss the Dead tonight, better to get my Dead fix first then I have the entire week to debug if need be.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: mk378
With the modem in bridge mode, your router will pull DHCP all the way through from the cable system, getting a public IP and the company's DNS servers.

Exactly. And at that point you can choose to override the ISP's DNS servers or continue to use them.

But the router needs to be set back to DHCP first, correct?

Thanks for the tip. will likely wait until tomorrow though, since Walking Dead is on tonight and I watch via SlingTV stream over this setup to my TV (via Chromecast) and don't want to futz it up and miss the Dead tonight, better to get my Dead fix first then I have the entire week to debug if need be.
smile.gif

Correct, your router will need to be set to use DHCP on the WAN interface.

Yes, set the WAN port on the router to be a DHCP client. When it connects through to the cable, you should see a public IP on the router's status.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back