New STP Max life oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a heads up about a new filter at Autozone. The STP Max life oil filter is rated for 15k miles. It is $11.99 regular everyday price. It is $3 more than the Fram Ultra. If it is included in a oil/filter sale there at the right price then it would at least come out about equal with Wally world. Aka around $32-34 dollars. $24.97 for the 5 qt container of oil from Wally world and a $8.97 Fram Ultra.

Now, for those who loaded up on Fram TGs or Bosch distance filters at $3 or even $1.50 a piece and got say close out Havoline for $10 for a five qt container then I'd say nothing hardly beats that.

Last edited:
Interesting. Country of origin? I wonder if this is connected to the switch from Korea to China as supplier for the STP XL.

I'm well stocked on filters for our fleet currently; I'll wait for others to post cut versions of this STP Max Life oil filter, used & unused.

Last edited:
Made in China on the STP XL filter & box in my garage I picked up in July, same with all the others on the store shelves in July ( last month). No longer Korea.

I'm asking COO on STP Max Life oil filter as unknown yet.

Wonder if they'll start marketing a 15K miles STP motor oil to go with this filter?

Last edited:
How can they give a 15k mile life for the filter without knowing the engine, it's condition, the lube and the service schedule?

One of the more arbitrary numbers I've seen today.

Wow I didn't know that Nygotha. Interesting indeed. Hmmmm China... Yeah I wonder who's making them now. It was the same manufacturer of the Hyundai oil filters.

And yes Olas, you are very correct in your thoughts about the mileage, condition of the motor, and whether or not the oil could even handle 15k miles.

Originally Posted By: bbhero

......for those who loaded up on Fram TGs or Bosch distance filters at $3 or even $1.50 a piece and got say close out Havoline for $10 for a five qt container then I'd say nothing hardly beats that.

I'm in that camp!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Olas
How can they give a 15k mile life for the filter without knowing the engine, it's condition, the lube and the service schedule?

"Sludged" engines seem to be becoming more and more rare all the time, though.

The very worst oil life comes from frequent "short trips" in cold weather.

Early reports are that these filters will come from the Purolator branch of Mann & Hummel.

Quote:
Early reports are that these filters will come from the Purolator branch of Mann & Hummel.

The early reports are correct. Puro date code on the dome with louvered center tube and say 'full synthetic' on the box. My speculation, a Puro PSL Synthetic clone. Not many applications at this point, but some common ones. Saw 3614, 6607 but no 7317. The STP blue and STP XL have no 7317 application.

That said, regular price seems comparatively high. As noted, perhaps if part of an AZ oil/filter promo could be ok. But I rarely see one for my applications that beats separate oil purchase with rebate or not and separate oil filter.

And the STP blue are still the old fram filtration (fram/champ) filters, some ecore, with manufacture dates into late July. So no change on those in this area.

I looked at these today in AZ and they are definitely Purolators.....possibly PSL Synthetic clones or maybe BOSS clones. I'd stick with Fram Ultra or even the STP XL.

Whatever the current Puro PSL prefix synthetic filter is, I'd speculate that's what the Max is. Thought perhaps they had taken the place of the Bosch Premium, but they had just been moved to a lower than eye level shelf. The BP shelf space footprint seems to have shrunk though.

I recently saw internal pictures of the new STP Maximum Life filters here on BITOG but I have been unable to find them again. Can someone post the link if you can find the pictures. Thanks.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the gasket on this filter (STP Maximum Life ) is made of silicon or Rubber? According to the Autozone website it is made of rubber, but I have heard otherwise.... and it makes no sense to me that they use a rubber gasket for such a high quality oil filter....

Originally Posted By: johnnyz73
Does anyone know if the gasket on this filter (STP Maximum Life ) is made of silicon or Rubber?...

Afaik, never seen a silicone sealing gasket. P1 used to use an orange ptfe treated sealing gasket, but still made of nitrile/rubber. So STP ML silicone adbv and nitrile sealing gasket.

According to the Auto Zone website and some YouTube videos, some of the higher quality oil filters, including the STP Extended Life 10,000 mile filter use a silicon gasket... I'm by no means an expert on any of this, simply relaying what i've been reading.... Again, I just thought it was odd that they would use a rubber gasket ( which is apparently used on cheaper filters ) pn such a high quality and pricey oil filter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back