Exercise before a physical?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I go for my annual physical Monday afternoon. They said I need to fast for 12 hours, drink plenty of water and take your meds. but they not say anything about doing any exercise. I usually walk 3 miles a day now that I have Type 2. Plus I need to clean up the yard full of leaves.
will that walk mess up the blood work? I got mixed resulted when I did some searching.

Last edited:
Call your nurse helpline and ask. With the diabetes I wouldn't take answers over the internet.

I think it's bad enough getting bloodwork at 8 am. It's cruel they're making you go all day, too.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Call your nurse helpline and ask. With the diabetes I wouldn't take answers over the internet.

I think it's bad enough getting bloodwork at 8 am. It's cruel they're making you go all day, too.

I know, I will miss breakfast and lunch!
I did call Friday but now call back.

Fast for 12 hours before an afternoon physical so no breakfast or lunch? Is that for a blood draw? When I get my annual physical they schedule a blood draw early a week before so I don't go half a day without eating and the dr. can go over the results with me that day. No help for you tomorrow but may want to suggest it next time?

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Fast for 12 hours before an afternoon physical so no breakfast or lunch? Is that for a blood draw? When I get my annual physical they schedule a blood draw early a week before so I don't go half a day without eating and the dr. can go over the results with me that day. No help for you tomorrow but may want to suggest it next time?

Yes, a blood draw. They have never scheduled a blood draw before the physical. I will bring that up tomorrow.
This will be fun, I'm a bit anxious.

The all important A1C is an average over a month or two. Blood sugar is current blood sugar level. But physical activity will get your blood pressure up and pulse increased.

Don't eat carbs the day before will help your blood sugar. Stick with protein and fat - eggs, butter, chicken, steak, hamburger, tuna, pork etc. Avoid all wheat products and lower your carb intake long term and your Type 2 will go away. Read books by Gary Taubes.

Originally Posted By: Donald
The all important A1C is an average over a month or two. Blood sugar is current blood sugar level. But physical activity will get your blood pressure up and pulse increased.

The A1C will be interesting. I dropped it to 6 from 13.8.
My daily blood readings are in the 80's depending when I take it now.
2 hours after eating Thanksgiving Dinner my blood sugar was 105! and I ate a lot.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Don't eat carbs the day before will help your blood sugar. Stick with protein and fat - eggs, butter, chicken, steak, hamburger, tuna, pork etc. Avoid all wheat products and lower your carb intake long term and your Type 2 will go away. Read books by Gary Taubes.

Yep, I eat very little carb now. The Diabetes Association calls for 65-75 grams of carb a meal. Insane.
My doc is impressed with my progress. I do eat a high protein low carb diet.Lots of nuts and veggies.
oh and fiber. I dont really care about calories.

Last edited:

Sounds like trying to game the blood test. Why not eat what you normally do to get a true picture of your health?

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
Originally Posted By: Donald

The A1C will be interesting. I dropped it to 6 from 13.8.
My daily blood readings are in the 80's depending when I take it now.
2 hours after eating Thanksgiving Dinner my blood sugar was 105! and I ate a lot.

Those are great numbers. Maybe you'll get released. My blood sugar is about 125 but my doctor is not concerned about it.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

Sounds like trying to game the blood test. Why not eat what you normally do to get a true picture of your health?

You don't game the A1C test it tells them what your average, high and low Blood Sugar was for 90 days. As well as your current Blood Sugar . If you're trying to play that game a smart Doctor has your number and knows you are jerking his chain.

Last edited:
Your A1c and blood sugars now are in the normal range. Whatever you are doing seems to be working. One thing about being nervous before physical is that could make blood pressure elevated in doctor's office. It happens to me a lot.

Do what you do normally for exercise. Walking should be no issue at all. Maybe instead of 3 miles just do 1-2...do the rest that evening. It might actually lower your BP....walks often do that for me.

If it were me I wouldn't do the leaves the morning before the test as you could swing your blood sugar wildly while working hard/fasting.

If you work / exercise and fast, your numbers will be screwed up, when you work you use up sugars and carbs
and it gives a false picture of where you are at.

If you go over 12 hours by the time the blood sample it taken, that changes numbers too!

Happened to me!!

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Do what you do normally for exercise. Walking should be no issue at all. Maybe instead of 3 miles just do 1-2...do the rest that evening. It might actually lower your BP....walks often do that for me.

If it were me I wouldn't do the leaves the morning before the test as you could swing your blood sugar wildly while working hard/fasting.

I did the leaves today. I have been eating my new normal diet today. I am taking a power bar with me to the visit so I can eat it right after the tests.

None of us should have any problems going the entire day without eating. All it takes is a little willpower and stay busy.

I walk three miles (per 55 minutes) prior to my physical. Changes nothing on my blood pressure, which they take right after weighing me first.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
None of us should have any problems going the entire day without eating. All it takes is a little willpower and stay busy.

I walk three miles (per 55 minutes) prior to my physical. Changes nothing on my blood pressure, which they take right after weighing me first.

How old are you ?

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Not sure that going an entire day w/o eating is a smart move for someone with type 2 diabetes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back