Holiday gift ideas? (that are basic or simple)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except for my immediate family, I need to buy a thoughtful/useful but non-specific gift for about 5-7 "groups".. usually aunts/uncles, in-laws, etc. For simplicity sake I just buy a bunch of the same thing so that nobody gets a better gift than anyone else.

In the past, I have done wine bottle sets, Harry and David pears, blankets, things like that. We aren't really a gift card family so that won't work.

For this year I was thinking a luxury hotel type towel set? Pretty sure most people take regular baths so I can see that as being useful, but I don't know if people are really picky about using certain types of towels.

Anyone got any other SERIOUS suggestions? I guess I 'm not really in touch with what's hot each year, but I don't like giving out tech gifts since not everyone in the family is savvy enough to enjoy something like a Roku.

The OXO can opener. The best $21.99 you'll ever spend in your life. This thing is so awesome, that after you open the can, you can't even tell the can has be opened! I use the cans to store small parts in because the lid fits back on the can like it was never taken off. Seriously, if you put the lid back on, you can't tell that the can has ever been opened! The functionality and the ergonomics of the can opener is simply superb.

I give the product a 10/10 and I very rarely rate a product that high.

OXO Can Opener

Go for consumables:
a) X pound(s) of coffee either beans or ground depending on the person. If they're on a budget (and who isn't?) buy 'em a bulk pack of the filters their coffee maker uses.

b) infused olive oil if they cook. I suggest fig or lemon for salad use. Sounds like a needless luxury but it's not.

c) gift certificates for a local message place or one that does facials. LOCAL BUSINESS FEEL GOOD POINTS

d) coupon book at a local car wash. LOCAL BUSINESS FEEL GOOD POINTS

e) have their knives sharpened. LOCAL BUSINESS FEEL GOOD POINTS

f) I like going to "foreign" food stores. There's a Polish neighborhood near me which has GREAT COOKIES this time of year only. Get 'em an assortment. You'll be spending money "to the east" (our friends in Europe) and less to the west (our friends in Asia). I have nothing against our friends in Asia. It's just that a lot seems to be going their way automatically lately. Vote with your pocketbook. And, you get LOCAL BUSINESS FEEL GOOD POINTS by patronizing the small shop.

g) Gift certificates for a local restaurant. LOCAL BUS..., you know.

h) oil?

i) any worn furniture which could use the attention of a LOCAL furniture refinisher? Now I'm reaching, but only a bit.

Would help if we knew their ages.

1) Memory Foam Pillow / won't go flat
2) Emergency LED Flashlight / kept next to bed
3) Self-Retracting Extension Cord / saves time
4) One day of hard labor / my Father always took advantage of that one
5) Free gutter cleaning

Our family all love the larger bath sheets (36" x 64"). We get compliments when we give them as gifts. Last brqnds we purchased were Espalma and Christy.

A really nice flashlight. Practical, affordable and many people still only use cheap [censored] ones from the dollar store.

Originally Posted By: MasterSolenoid
Would help if we knew their ages.

1) Memory Foam Pillow / won't go flat
2) Emergency LED Flashlight / kept next to bed
3) Self-Retracting Extension Cord / saves time
4) One day of hard labor / my Father always took advantage of that one
5) Free gutter cleaning

The ages are all over the place (low 20s up to 80), which is why this is a tough buy for me.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Five pound fruit cake from Collins Bakery.
banana2.gif
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje

That is interesting because in Texas there is a company called Collin Street Bakery that makes excellent fruitcakes. Strangely, I was the one in the house growing up that would eat the fruitcakes my parents received as gifts. I like them! Collin Street Bakery makes some of the best I've tried. I'm sure there are others that do so as well.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje

That is interesting because in Texas there is a company called Collin Street Bakery that makes excellent fruitcakes. Strangely, I was the one in the house growing up that would eat the fruitcakes my parents received as gifts. I like them! Collin Street Bakery makes some of the best I've tried. I'm sure there are others that do so as well.

Had lunch at Collin Street Bakery in Waco, Texas last weekend.

Amazing fruitcake, various baked goods, and sandwiches. Highly recommend for lunch or a snack.

Fruitcake is $$$$$ however.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Had lunch at Collin Street Bakery in Waco, Texas last weekend.

Amazing fruitcake, various baked goods, and sandwiches. Highly recommend for lunch or a snack.

Fruitcake is $$$$$ however.

It sure is. I buy the little ones that are, maybe, 6" in diameter and they're $15. I have been to both the Waco and Corsicana stores. I pass through Corsicana more frequently since my daughter lives in College Station. Last time I stopped in before CSB was open and went to the Russell Stover outlet instead. I think I've found my new favorite place!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back