Is anybody running Pennzoil Platinum 10W-30 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've run both Plat and Ultra in the 10W-30 grade, if only because I got it on clearance and combined that with MIRs to make it dirt cheap and you can always find clearance 10W-30 after the 5W-30 is all gone.
I don't recall it being any more smooth or quiet than either oil in the 5W-30 grade.

I ran the 5w30 in my Buick. It ran quietly enough, but burned it faster than any other oil I've tried (most oils burn a quart in 3-3500 miles, PP burned a quart in 2000 both OCI I used it).

If you're searching for a quiet oil for your 3800, my favorite oil I've found for the 3800 is actually the new formula GTX Ultraclean (5w30 is recommendation for my Series 3).
It runs unbelievably quietly. (No oil has made it loud, and I'm not one to believe things like this, but the GTX is noticeably more quiet).

fdcg27, TmanP, Thanks guys.
smile.gif

I ran it in my Camry 4K miles. I had the older silver bottle . I think it sat a little on the thin side of 30 weights. My car ate it up significantly quicker than QSUD or QS Hi Mi or M1 AFE
not sure if formulas changed since that silver bottle 10w30.

I'm running it in my Cavalier. Got it last year during the Auto Zone December oil sale. Good stuff.

Nuff said,

I run PUP 10w-30 year round in my murano because every time I try to buy 5w-30 it’s out of stock! It’s quiet, but I️ probably couldn’t tell a difference if you put Mobil 1 in there.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I've got in it my 300ZX. LOVE it!! Smooooooth as silk!!

Won't something that thin kill the engine?
Or is it that since you got the Honda and began using that 0W-20 colored water a 10W-30 seems like a really stout grade?

It used oil and next oci on it's cousin sister, QSUD 10w-30 started leaking. snake oil. ran like the dickens (how was this adage founded) on the latter but using it on anything with miles is fluid suicide for its ability to slip by stuff. Now the MC 5w-20 on my Vtach inspired Accord V6, now that was a thrill ride but that drivetrain had that annoying .5 to 1 quart "use" per 5k-ish OCI. These new fandangled new age 0w-20s haven't used anything. super impressed. And doing it in a climate that is severe duty 8 out of 12 months!

Last edited:
After the bypass valve on my Magnuson/LS1 started sticking (had been running M1 0w-40), I switched to PP 10w-30 at the advice of folks here for its lower NOACK. Seemed to do the trick.

Originally Posted By: HondaBroMike
It used oil and next oci on it's cousin sister, QSUD 10w-30 started leaking. snake oil. ran like the dickens (how was this adage founded) on the latter but using it on anything with miles is fluid suicide for its ability to slip by stuff. Now the MC 5w-20 on my Vtch inspired Accord, now that was a thrill ride.

Please translate that into English.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I've got in it my 300ZX. LOVE it!! Smooooooth as silk!!

Won't something that thin kill the engine?
Or is it that since you got the Honda and began using that 0W-20 colored water a 10W-30 seems like a really stout grade?

???

10W-30 is a thing of the past IMHO, but, I've run the 5W-30 with no complaints before. I'm not particularly loyal to any brand, been running Pennzoil for about a year now, switching to German Castrol next to see how I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back