been a while

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was thinking. It has been at least 10 years, probably closer to 12 years, since I changed the oil in my mower.
Got it in 2000. Used 1 hour per week from April-November. I know it had Mobil 1 5w30 last change. Up until the last time, I would change it every season.

[censored] thing still starts first pull, two after sitting the winter. Craftsman with a Briggs, 6.5 HP. Could probably use a blade sharpening, never had one.

I just replaced my blade instead of sharpening. I change my oil in Spring every year. Probably not necessary but I have tons of oil and a change is 1/2 a quart. Just toss in whatever oil you have lying around.

I do annual oil changes or approx 30-60 hours, depending on whether I do neighbor's lawns. In looking at my B&S booklet they recommend 25 hr OCI's. Maybe I'll start doing 2 per mowing season. The oil always comes out black.

My dad's Tecumseh engine mower was 22 years old when the deck finally rotted and it had been changed maybe a handful of times in 22 years. It was used for about 2 hours a week for about 6 months of the year. Aside from a blue puff of smoke on start-up it didn't use any measurable amount of oil. He also never used high ZDDP oil meant for 4-strokes either. It was whatever oil he had on hand.

I change my mower and snowblower with Amsoil 4-Stroke every 2 years. The lawn mower sees enough use it could be changed yearly but I don't bother.

Just FWIW.

Last edited:
Something about straight 30 appeals to me.
When the mower turned 35 I jumped to 40.

Something which wallows in the dust like a lawn mower deserves clean oil.

As long as you keep oil in them, they will run for a long time. I do notice that the engines that never have the oil changed usually start smoking a bit faster than the ones that have had the oil changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back