Side by side pic of oem remote control vs ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I lost a remote to by Buick because it broke off the Keychain and it's gone, it's ordered a set of two replacements off ebay for $9.99 including shipping that included everything, the remotes with batteries already installed and even a Keychain attachment, but I noticed the ebay model seems much different inside, I wonder if anyone knows how this will affect anything?

They both programmed fine and seem to work about as far as the oem remote, maybe 25 feet from the car, but they sure look like their missing stuff on the circuit board.

Oem on the left, eBay on the right

A guy I work with is an electronics wizard. He was telling me that a lot of older chips and functions that used to be done with 2, 3 or 4 chips are now integrated into single chips which are cheaper and more reliable. This is probably what is the case with your remote.

If it works I wouldn't be worried about it.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
So I lost a remote to by Buick because it broke off the Keychain and it's gone, it's ordered a set of two replacements off ebay for $9.99 including shipping that included everything, the remotes with batteries already installed and even a Keychain attachment, but I noticed the ebay model seems much different inside, I wonder if anyone knows how this will affect anything?

They both programmed fine and seem to work about as far as the oem remote, maybe 25 feet from the car, but they sure look like their missing stuff on the circuit board.

Oem on the left, eBay on the right

look at the key fob circuit board on the original, you'll see a date of 47 01, if I'm reading it correctly that means production of that circuit board is 47th week of 2001.

That puts that design at November 2001, exactly 16 years ago!

What I'm getting at is the circuits (die size) has gotten much smaller as time goes on, so they can shrink the chips and put more on them. And as you can see the new one has less parts but still does the same job.

No you're not missing anything, all the functions are the same, even the range of the keyfob. Won't affect anything, if anything the battery should last longer with fewer components and probably more energy efficient!

Thought you'd like to know the background instead of just saying "oh you're fine, no worries"..
cool.gif

All of the processing done by all of the components on the OEM unit is done in the little 10-legged chip on the right. With the lower parts count, there are fewer things to fail so it's probably more reliable than the OEM one. If it works, then all is well.

The Chinese make everything cheaper because they know which circuits aren't important. Stupid Americans always use too many circuits!
crackmeup2.gif

The only reason I was concerned is I see people are charging quite a bit more for a remote that has oem internals with a new shell, and multiple sellers are doing so on eBay.

I agree with everything said above: it would be more realistic to compare to a remote OEM fob made in the last 1-2 years. One thing that was not brought up, is that the Chinese tend to rip off other peoples designs, copy them, and additionally do not pay any royalties. So their actual cost can be way lower since they had almost zero R&D costs.

This happens with video gaming consoles as well. The first ones will be heavier with lots of discrete components. Eventually they'll come out with a "slim" one that's finally a different exterior form factor.

I would want OE in a new shell, as well, if the cost difference isn't great. Particularly if I wasn't sure if I could program them (and the fault was ???)

when my friend's remotes have cracked there, meaning it will no longer attach to a key-ring, I've just gotten a new shell and swapped the internals over... as long as you can find a shell with the same button layout you should be golden...

Reminds me of the old Audi with certain temperature sensors losing a lead thanks to advancements in the part, but having to have notes so installers don't get confused or annoyed.
wink.gif

The newer remote uses a much smaller component technology than the one on the right (OEM), similar to (but not quite as small) as that used in cellular phones of 2017. It does appear that "something is missing" but the reality is "something is much smaller".

I can visually identify all the component blocks in the two devices, and they are all present in both. There are a few less SMD resistors and capacitors, but they are probably incorporated into the chip, which is present in both and different size. Aside from that the components are all exactly the same, different size. The antennae and ground planes are present on both, so should have the same range.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
when my friend's remotes have cracked there, meaning it will no longer attach to a key-ring, I've just gotten a new shell and swapped the internals over... as long as you can find a shell with the same button layout you should be golden...

The remote broke off the Keychain and was lost outside.

correct except for the missing crystal.thats the big part with 101 on it.
means the clock generator is also in the 10 lead chip.since its programmable device you set it up to send data in the correct format and add a key via a prng at programming time.making each one unique.looks like the radio is even in the chip entirely where the original has an external pa stage.
edit.
looks at second glance to use a ttl oscillator with a pa stage in the original.
Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
The newer remote uses a much smaller component technology than the one on the right (OEM), similar to (but not quite as small) as that used in cellular phones of 2017. It does appear that "something is missing" but the reality is "something is much smaller".

I can visually identify all the component blocks in the two devices, and they are all present in both. There are a few less SMD resistors and capacitors, but they are probably incorporated into the chip, which is present in both and different size. Aside from that the components are all exactly the same, different size. The antennae and ground planes are present on both, so should have the same range.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back