Purposely door dinged. Cops involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work at Walmart. I was coming back to lunch. I was driving a 2017 Jetta, he a newer Titan XD Diesel. There was a truck parked next to where I was parked. He was on the line and I parked my car in between the lines of my usual spot. Still enough room to get in between the cars. I got out and walked into the shop, realizing I had left something in my car. I was going back to my car, it so happened at the same time I followed the owner of the truck back to our vehicles. He Opened his rear door and pushed it into my car. Making a loud bang. He then saw me and asked "is this your car". I then pulled my phone out and started taking photos. He then got in between his truck and door, then proceed to dry hump his door into my car. Probably half a dozen times. Have photos of everything.

Damage: There is a dent, which then has a crease that goes up my door.
How will they fix this?

Called the cops. Got a report. He will most likely get charged with criminal property damage.

Called Insurance got a report. They are going after his insurance company.

Walmart pulled security footage.

Should I take him to court? For things like gas, mileage accumulated on my car to go into a shop?

Comments? Thoughts?

No advice, but hopefully this moron learns a lesson from all of this. The whole things sounds too absurd to be true! I'm beggin, can you post at least one pic of him humping the door!? blank his face, if you have to.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
Charges, yes! But small claims court for mileage?....like $30? Not unless you have a deduct able to pay.
My VW dealership is 60 miles away. Have to go there for a estimate, then go back for the work. Not including all the time its gonna waste me. Between College and Walmart, time is tough enough to come by.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
No advice, but hopefully this moron learns a lesson from all of this. The whole things sounds too absurd to be true! I'm beggin, can you post at least one pic of him humping the door!? blank his face, if you have to.
I didnt get his face. I tried to video too, at the time. Didn't work out. Maybe if Walmart has footage?

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
Originally Posted By: ammolab
Charges, yes! But small claims court for mileage?....like $30? Not unless you have a deduct able to pay.
My VW dealership is 60 miles away. Have to go there for a estimate, then go back for the work. Not including all the time its gonna waste me. Between College and Walmart, time is tough enough to come by.

And by going to small claims you will burden yourself further with time.

While I am sorry this happened to you, it's great that you are getting some justice! I wouldn't do the small claims court piece. I think criminal charges and his insurance taking care of it is pretty good. Small claims court can be a real headache and time investment.

I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt. You certainly didn't deserve to have that happen to you but that person could have some bad things happen today, and he chose a very poor way to cope with it when confronted with another stressor (hitting your car). Wishing you the best outcome..

Timo

Originally Posted By: incognito_2u
........Is Kansas a "no fault" state in regards to MV incidents?

A quick Google search at NOLO states this "Finally, while Kansas’s no-fault car insurance system applies to injuries caused by car accidents, it has no bearing on vehicle damage claims. You can hold the at-fault driver liable for damage to (or total loss of) a vehicle after a car accident in Kansas, with no limitations."

Hopefully the OP's insurance co. will go after the other driver.

Originally Posted By: incognito_2u
........Is Kansas a "no fault" state in regards to MV incidents?
I think it depends if its intentional/ act of god. He did it purposely/negligent. Which is criminal.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Neither of those bozos can park
I was straight, in between the lines? What more did you want?

Sorry, but if that was my car I would not have parked there. Im in no way justifying for what he did but -- use better judgement when parking a brand new car.

The red truck looks like they need parking lessons also.

Probably the time and hassle of small claims wouldn't be worth it. Can your insurance send an adjuster to you to do the estimate? At least in CA an insurance company cannot send you to a particular body shop, but they can have approved shops where the whole process is streamlined.

I think he meant the truck on the other side of you.

Hes talking about the Ranger and the Titan. Both are eating the line.

Im surprised Walmart didnt get huffy about you parking in a yellow painted area. When I worked there you had to use the white part of the lot.

And yeah...id park further away. I know it doesnt guarantee anything but still. Its frustrating that nobody respects other peoples property. Why did the guy purposely do that? Not well?

What an insane story, the driver of that Titan sounds like he's missing a few screws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back