2018 Highlander V6

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWS

Thinking about a 2018 Highlander V6. Would appreciate your thoughts.
Replacing 2000 Odyssey that I bought new & still running well at 190K miles.
Also have 2006 Accord V6 with 90K (no VCM).
Some Points:
-> Plan on long-term ownership > 10 years.
-> Impressed by Toyota D-4S V6 engine with Port and Direct Injection.
Seems like this design will keep intake valves clean. True?
-> NOT impressed with fuel dilution typical of DI, and especially with my short-trip, in-town driving.
Don't know if D-4S is better in this regard. Comments?
-> Looking everywhere for a UOA on D-4S - don't find even one! Can you help?
-> I love the Honda V6, but not impressed with fuel dilution of DI or VCM.
-> Also not impressed with Honda I4 Turbo fuel dilution (e.g CR-V).

Thanks for your help!

SWS

I would not hesitate to buy one. But keep in mind that Toyota V6s are more difficult to work on than Honda V6s, and the new D4S V6 engine requires new spark plugs every 60k (manifold removal required) and a new vacuum pump every 120k.

Is this particular Toyota engine a known diluter? While GDI engines have this trait there are some exceptions. Mazda’s SkyActiv engines seem to handle the issue better. It might also be a case by case issue. Break the engine in properly and one thing I do since I short trip a lot is take the long way home when I can. These engines want to run.

The 2018 Highlander is still a solid choice. I was not aware of the Toyota engine requiring new plugs every 60K, and the new vacuum pump every 120K. Remember though that the Honda V6 has a timing belt. One complaint about the new 2018s I hear frequently is that the new 8-speed is not the smoothest in the segment.

You have fallen victim to a BITOGism.

All "Direct Injection" motors are bad.

Simply NOT TRUE.

Does it have a CVT-or any "driver assist" features?

Maybe we could go for a trifecta.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
I would not hesitate to buy one. But keep in mind that Toyota V6s are more difficult to work on than Honda V6s, and the new D4S V6 engine requires new spark plugs every 60k (manifold removal required) and a new vacuum pump every 120k.

Wow, that's a lot of stuff to do. Makes plugs tough to do, huh?

I do like the lines of the highlander though.

If the V-6 makes you nervous, save some money and opt for the base FWD Highlander with the 2.7 liter 4-cylinder. My wife has this engine in her 2011 Highlander, with 123K miles on it, and it has been fine for our family of four. We don’t tow anything, but it’s fine for full loads (6 people plus luggage).

I just looked at my 2017 Highlander maintenance manual, spark plugs replace at 120,000 miles, no mention of vacuum pump replacement. What are you basing this on?

Originally Posted By: khittner
If the V-6 makes you nervous, save some money and opt for the base FWD Highlander with the 2.7 liter 4-cylinder. My wife has this engine in her 2011 Highlander, with 123K miles on it, and it has been fine for our family of four. We don’t tow anything, but it’s fine for full loads (6 people plus luggage).

I politely disagree. The 2018 is heavy..even the Venza with the 6 wasnt impresively fast. I think the V6 is sufficient, maybe even a tad underpowered. It rides smooth the highlander but it is a big machine! The older highlanders look small in comparison...id love to buy a highlander, unfortunately the price is what has me leaning to alternatives.

Originally Posted By: bobbobtar

I just looked at my 2017 Highlander maintenance manual, spark plugs replace at 120,000 miles, no mention of vacuum pump replacement. What are you basing this on?

The Highlander uses the 2GR-FKS engine.

Originally Posted By: CKN
You have fallen victim to a BITOGism.

All "Direct Injection" motors are bad.

Simply NOT TRUE.

Does it have a CVT-or any "driver assist" features?

Maybe we could go for a trifecta.

Not all DI engines are "bad" , but all of them do have valve coking and eventually all will need servicing at some point in the future.

Last edited:
I just downloaded the 2018 Highlander Warranty and Maintenance Guide.
The Critic is correct.

Spark Plugs at 60K miles or 72 months: "Maintenance services of spark plugs are required under the terms of the Emissions Control Warranty"

At 120K miles or 144 months: "Replace vacuum pump for brake booster (2GR-FKS engine only)"

Thanks for the replies - I am learning so much!

SWS said:
I just downloaded the 2018 Highlander Warranty and Maintenance Guide.
The Critic is correct.

Spark Plugs at 60K miles or 72 months: "Maintenance services of spark plugs are required under the terms of the Emissions Control Warranty"

At 120K miles or 144 months: "Replace vacuum pump for brake booster (2GR-FKS engine only)"

I follow the 3rd Generation Highlander forum at this link

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/333-highlander-3rd-generation-2014/

I have heard of the vacuum pump calling for replacement due to the Start/Stop system for some reason. There was a post regarding that concern on the forum in the past.

I also read on the forum that the 2018 requires a fuel additive at certain miles, and if I'm not mistaken, it might have been for the state of Hawaii and also for Puerto Rico?

Haven't heard about the spark plugs due at 60K, wonder if that would be done for free since they require it for the warranty? I had a Ford which called for a part ( I think it was the PCV valve) which had to be replaced under the maintenance schedule for the Emission Warranty to remain in effect. The first replacement while under the warranty was free.

If I am looking at the correct vacuum pump, this will be a big ticket item:

https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~pump~assy~vacuum~29300-0p010.html?Make=Toyota&Model=Highlander&Year=2017&Submodel=&Filter=()&Location=vacuum-pump,,29300

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: khittner

I politely disagree. The 2018 is heavy..even the Venza with the 6 wasnt impresively fast. I think the V6 is sufficient, maybe even a tad underpowered. It rides smooth the highlander but it is a big machine! The older highlanders look small in comparison...id love to buy a highlander, unfortunately the price is what has me leaning to alternatives.

Meh—the 2018 is about 200lbs heavier than the 2011. The first-gen Highlanders were considerably smaller (by 600 lbs.), but the ‘11s not so much. I don’t get sucked into horsepower marketing. Our 4-cylinder will get to highway speeds as quickly as we need, and stays there easily. If you need to tow something, there are better choices. If you need to beat the yahoo in the Audi/BMW/ AMG to the next Starbucks, there are better choices. But for near bulletproof reliable adequacy, a 187hp (hey, that’s more than some disco-era Corvettes!😜) Toyota 4-cylinder is tough to beat.

Last edited:
I would buy one. The 2gr is an excellent engine and not that hard to work on. I'm actually lining one up to buy and stick in my mr2. Becoming a more popular swap.

Originally Posted By: ls973800
Vacuum pump replacement discussion for the 2017 Highlander Yes it is over $900.00 with $1200.00 list price

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/333-highlander-3rd-generation-2014/1525626-vacuum-pump.html

Go Toyota! Reliability rulz
crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back