Looking for a GOOD home camera NVR security system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks! Building a new house and having it prewired for 6 POE ethernet cameras. It won't be done for a few months, so I thought I would look on black Friday for some deals

Really not having any luck. Many manufacturers out there. Many with bad reviews, poor customer service, buggy apps etc. Looking to stay under $750 for six cameras with NVR with hard drive. Want to get the latest resolution cameras. However don't need a "pro" grade system. Mainly looking for bang for the buck.

Looks like Lorex, Swann, and Amcrest are the big players.

Anyone have good experience/recommend a system?? Tom

Can't really comment on the NVR portion (I just use a spare PC for my recording) but Dahua IP cameras have served me well. Excellent clarity, weather resistance, and reliability.

What are you looking for 1080p 2k 4k?

If 4k, plenty of decent stuff out there..

budget around $1000-$1500?

Originally Posted By: daddi
Hello folks! Building a new house and having it prewired for 6 POE ethernet cameras. It won't be done for a few months, so I thought I would look on black Friday for some deals

Really not having any luck. Many manufacturers out there. Many with bad reviews, poor customer service, buggy apps etc. Looking to stay under $750 for six cameras with NVR with hard drive. Want to get the latest resolution cameras. However don't need a "pro" grade system. Mainly looking for bang for the buck.

Is there a Costco near you? Up here in Canada there is a 6 camera system for $450 with a 2TB hard drive.

I would buy Axis cameras. A lot of systems are home grade toy cameras.

When comparing systems make sure you compare apples to apples. Compare playback of the compressed video. If you look at raw uncompressed video vs playback of compressed video, you are comparing apples to oranges.

Also a spec might say one weeks worth of recording and show the quality. But the one week might be 3 FPS and what you see (that looks good) is 15 FPS.

Originally Posted By: JC1

Is there a Costco near you? Up here in Canada there is a 6 camera system for $450 with a 2TB hard drive.

This. Check out your costco website and reviews and check cnet.com for reviews. I think 1080p and hardwired to a hard drive should be sufficient. Most important: Night vision and how well it works.

I have a FLIR which is bed with Lorex and it works great. It's Co-Ax but I have 1080p over RG-6 Co-Ax PTZ cameras and they work really well. I'm also happy that it does RTSP and has it's own app that also works well. Mine is the MPX-3100 series. It's also capable of doing I.P. cameras.

DVR:
http://www.flir.com/security/display/?id=70870

PTZ cameras with optical zoom, colour night vision:
https://www.lorextechnology.com/hd-secur...n/LZV2622BW-0-p

M3100E-new.jpg

ip-camera-LZV2622BW-L1.png

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info! I have been looking at the Flir/Lorex setups. They look pretty decent.

The reason I bought this is because my neighbour works for TYCO which was formerly the commercial division of ADT here until recently so he installs this stuff all day long.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Lorex has some good deals for at least another day.. 25% off and free shipping. We ordered the a 8 camera/8 channel system for $299 but I chose the analog MPX route.. have enough of that network junk at work! Have FLIR at work so kinda on the edge.. but if you beat them on head enough they do eventually fix any issue's you might have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back