Brake grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm doing the front brakes on my 06 G35. After finishing up I went to flush the brakes and noticed that the rear caliper slide boots were completely shrunken.

I was fortunately able to get the pins out but it was obvious all the grease had escaped.

I did the rear brakes 2.5 years ago and used Permatex synthetic disc brake lube (green colour). I obviously want to clean everything up, replace the boots and get new grease on the pins and clean off what I just applied to the front.

Any recommendations on what grease to get use that won't kill the rubber?

I've made the same mistake and had similar results in the past.

All those different flavor "caliper greases" are super misleading IMO. They're more for the pad ears and backings and not so much for the rubber areas. I too use Sil Glyde for those and still have an expensive jar of purple "synthetic" caliper grease that is real sticky and stringy that I barely use.

I used Dow Corning 111 on the slide pins the last time I did brakes; only because that's what I had on hand at the time. It's a high viscosity silicone grease used to lubricate plastic water softener valves and o-rings. It seems to be working OK. It's probably similar to Sil-glyde.

I have some silicon grease, and some red rubber grease, bought in Japan, and some Bendix Ceramlube, bought in Australia.

So far I've only used the silicon. Since it didnt have a very high temp spec I backed it up by wrapping the pins in teflon tape. Been OK so far but I'll probably remove that the next time I strip them.

Dunno whats in the (recommended?) red rubber grease but IIRC the "traditional" Castrol equivalent was a castor oil/bentonite base, so it should be fairly rubber compatible but might eventually harden in service.

On paper the Bendix stuff should be the best but its pretty expensive.

The only readily available rubber compatible grease in Taiwan is earwax, and there isn't much of that.

King Kaliper/BBB Industries only uses a SilGlyde type lube in its assembled brake calipers...the previous Massachusetts owner of the King brand also only used the same product.And they had been around for 25+ years...

I usually use whatever grease comes with the pads, and the last time I did rear brakes, I got new calipers anyway, which cane with the slide pins pre-greased
27.gif

I use Permatex Extreme purple goo on all the contact points and shims, but only 3M silicone paste on slide pins and boots.

Too many horror stories of anything but silicone on rubber components.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I used Dow Corning 111 on the slide pins the last time I did brakes; only because that's what I had on hand at the time. It's a high viscosity silicone grease used to lubricate plastic water softener valves and o-rings. It seems to be working OK. It's probably similar to Sil-glyde.

Pay attention in class, Merk. Very little about Sil-Glyde is similar to 111
grin.gif
:

Sil-Glyde:
1. Polypropylene Glycol 25322-69-4 45-60%
2. Castor Oil 8001-79-4 30-45%
3. Silicon Dioxide, Amorphouse (silica) 7631-86-9 5-15%
4. Polydimethylsiloxane (silicone) 63148-62-9 1-5%
5. Oleoyl Sarcosine 110-25-8 1-5%

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
the last time I did rear brakes, I got new calipers anyway, which came with the slide pins pre-greased
27.gif

Better double check those pre-greased calipers.

Last set of Wagner loaded calipers I used "appeared" to be greased but upon closer inspection there was little to no grease inside the pin boots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back