Carquest Red Oil Filter R84060

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dissected a CQ Red Fram made RA closeout. It came off my Ram with 7500 miles. Oil used was QSUD

0w20. Excellent filter for $1.40

Looks good and what did you replace oil and filter with?

Thank You sir
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Aren't those Reds discontinued by CarQuest? Hasn't the filter supplier changed?
If so, those pics can't aid new purchasers.

I have read that in here as well so I'd also like to know as that is the current filter I have on my Ram Hemi. (if it's the Premium?) I have used these since it's first oil change and although I have never tore one apart before they have served me well.
My bud, who works at CarQuest, told me back in 13 that these filters were made by Wix.

Originally Posted By: irv
My bud, who works at CarQuest, told me back in 13 that these filters were made by Wix.

Back in 2013, they were indeed made by Wix. But in 2014, AAP bought CQ and switched the filter supplier to Fram. Then, in 2016, AAP/CQ switched suppliers again and now they are made by Purolator.

Last edited:
If there's a date code on the can, it can determine who manufacured the filter based an the date code's format.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
+1

Frampion construction? Looks that way to me instead of Wix or Purolator.

Date code?

Originally Posted By: JasonC
+1

Frampion construction? Looks that way to me instead of Wix or Purolator.

Date code?

Fram date code, made the 19th day of 2015 (or 2005, but doubt it's that old).

Thanks - definitely Frampion, January 19, 2015 birthday, consistent with your first sentence in the thread and C&P showing a leaf retaining spring, dome end bypass, ADBV, & baseplate design. Nothing like the cutaway Napa 27060 cut open linked in my last post.

I think these and the Frampion CQ Blues are the best non-wire backed oil filters Fram has manufactured. The reds are basically Fram Extra Guard media with metal end caps and often Champ Labs style dome end button bypass, and blues are basically Tough Guard media with metal end caps and often Champ Labs style dome end button bypass.

I got a mix of Wix & Frampion CQ Blue oil filters for my truck from Rockauto earlier this year. I can still find NOS Frampion manufactured CQ oil filter for my truck at AAP stores, but no more than 1 in store inventory at a time at any one of the 3 AAP in the greater SA area that stocks them (84899 for CQ Blue for my Ram), requiring driving around town to fulfill an order with 3 of these and a jug of CQ brand Dexcool to make $20 order after discount code applied to use a $5 Speedperks rewards coupon. But this still nets me Frampion CQ Blue filters for around $4 each, about the same as RA after including shipping.

A shame these designs were discontinued, and will probably never be manufactured again.

Last edited:
Thanks - definitely Frampion, consistent with your C&P showing a leaf retaining zpring, dome end bypass, ADBV, & baseplate design. Nothing like the cutaway Napa 27060 cut open linked in my last post.

I think these and the Frampion CQ Blues are the best non-wire backed oil filters Fram has manufactured. The reds are basically Fram Extra Guard media with metal end caps and often Champ Labs style dome bypass, and blues are basically Tough Guard media with metal end caps and often Champ Labs style button bypass.

I got a mix of Wix & Frampion CQ Blue oil filters for my truck from Rockauto earlier this year. I can still find NOS Frampion manufactured CQ oil filter for my truck at AAP stores, but no more than 1 in store inventory at a time at any one of the 3 AAP in the greater SA area that stocks them (84899 for CQ Blue for my Ram), requiring driving around town to fulfill an order with 3 of these and a jug of CQ brand Dexcool to make $20 order after discount code applied to use a $5 Speedperks rewards coupon. But this still nets me Frampion CQ Blue filters for around $4 each, about the same as RA after including shipping.

A shame these designs were discontinued, and will probably never be manufactured again.

I have 4 of these left and I am impressed with these filters.

Yours stood up to 7500 miles no problem although their original release video with Jay Buckley showed these Frampion CQ Red oil filters rated for 5K miles and the Frampion CQ Blue oil filters rated for 10K miles, similar to Fram EG & TG respectively. Video disappeared with the demise of the Frampion relationship, and loss of CQ oil filter manufacturing contract to Purolator.

Yours stood up to 7500 miles no problem although their original release video with Jay Buckley showed these Frampion CQ Red oil filters rated for 5K miles and the Frampion CQ Blue oil filters rated for 10K miles, similar to Fram EG & TG respectively. Video disappeared with the demise of the Frampion relationship, and loss of CQ oil filter manufacturing contract to Purolator.

Filter can easily go well over 5k. This one looked perfect, no waves or tears in the media.

Yeah JasonC those Champion Lab made CQ filters were really well made. One of the best under the radar filters out there while they were available.

Originally Posted By: car51
Looks good and what did you replace oil and filter with?

Thank You sir
smile.gif

Same combo, QSUD 0w20 and same CQ Oil Filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back