Improperly attributed quotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Recently got in a bit of a banter with a friend of mine on Facebook who shared a modified version of Theodore Roosevelt's speech on immigration to sound Canadian and falsely attributed it to Sir. Wilfred Laurier. When I indicated that this quote belonged to Roosevelt and not Laurier, she stated that it didn't matter who said it, she just liked what it said. We had a bit of a back-and-forth on the subject and I left it on me falsely attributing Herman Goering's quote from the Nuremberg Trials to Winston Churchill (not indicating to her who actually said it) to illustrate the fantasy that perverting history doesn't matter. She has not replied as of yet.

From fake Einstein quotes, which seem to be the most rampant, to this sort of garbage. What the heck happened to people fact-checking the information they share? It would seem that in the age of "click-and-share" media that the rigours of fact-checking have gone by the wayside because that extra few seconds of work is either too much, or it if the attribution changed to a less admirable figure, it would have an impact on the elation felt from sharing words ascribed to a revered public figure.

Let me ask this. Do the majority of people on Facebook spend time crafting a well written post or do they just quickly post information and don't care as to the accuracy of the post?

I deleted my FB account a few years ago and don't miss it one bit. I find it was the biggest waste of time for me personally.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-[censored] speed"

-Eleanor Roosevelt

LOL!!!

Originally Posted By: JC1
Let me ask this. Do the majority of people on Facebook spend time crafting a well written post or do they just quickly post information and don't care as to the accuracy of the post?

I deleted my FB account a few years ago and don't miss it one bit. I find it was the biggest waste of time for me personally.

Depends on what you are into. Many of the posts on activist groups, like those about the hydro disaster in the province are indeed well-crafted.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" Abraham Lincoln
19b.jpg

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: JC1

Depends on what you are into. Many of the posts on activist groups, like those about the hydro disaster in the province are indeed well-crafted.

If Facebook can help remove the Liberals from power in Ontario then sign me back up. I won't hold my breath.

I'm sure there are good posts on FB, but I'm not interested. I must be getting old. Lol.

FaceBook is a distortion of reality people eventually believe as news, fact and lives.

I don't even think FaceBook and twitter realize the incredible power as a platform to shape our world.

It's amazing how people believe what they want, and dismiss what they don't want to.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
....What the heck happened to people fact-checking the information they share?
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Seriously, I've been facing this for nearly 40yrs now. Fact is many are not interested in the truth when it makes them look bad, nor runs counter to their own 'beliefs'.

"A Lie Can Get Half-Way Around The World Before The Truth Ever Gets Its Boots On" - Mark Twain.

I'm embarrassed for my Facebook friends that constantly post fake news or share a post about a missing person that a quick Google search shows they're back safely home.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

- George Carlin

Why Facebook is used for pushing agendas to "friends", instead of showing food, vacation and baby pictures is beyond me.

As a journalist this really ticks me off. All quotes should be properly attributed. Not doing this could have caused professors to possibly fail us on the paper. Who said what really matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back