Copart gem...a most excellent 1994 Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to browse Copart...I really wish this wasn't all the way on the other side of the country and a dealer only sale (have to pay a dealer/broker to buy it).

https://www.copart.com/lot/47645597

34c1cfe1-5274-4065-a279-8f44ce7dc740.JPG

aca7db81-2500-4f95-9488-2ac05151c8a5.JPG

The interior color isn't my favorite usually, but for some reason I kind of like it in this truck. I definitely like the two shifters on the floor, and loaded cloth interior. It had to be a special order, I can't see a dealer ordering this for stock, even in 1994. 215K miles, but looks like it's in better cosmetic shape than either of my trucks. I need some money to burn and some vacation time.
grin.gif

Power passenger seat, cloth and a 5 speed. That's a rare bird for sure! Nice looking SUV.

Hop on a plane/bus & go get it!

The best deals I have found always ended up that way! (I bought my 1997 Cobra convertible in Idaho)

Lessee, a 23 yr old Ford with 215 K miles. No, thanks. The Rat shows only 130K. One reality check late.Note the 26 psi tire pressure on the door sicker. Tell you what though, '94 was a good yr for the Exploder and the Ranger. I just wish the Rat was a better example.
grin2.gif

Kinda odd the 5 speed being the right-side shifter. Was that a top-loader or some sort of linkage?

That had to be a R a r e combo....

I never have seen many explorers with a manual trans, and 4wd to boot.

I thought all of those had electronically shifted 4wd. Could you get a manually shifted T case with the automatic?

I believe 4wd Touch Drive was optional,the floor lever being standard.So that one is base model.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Lessee, a 23 yr old Ford with 215 K miles. No, thanks. The Rat shows only 130K. One reality check late.Note the 26 psi tire pressure on the door sicker. Tell you what though, '94 was a good yr for the Exploder and the Ranger. I just wish the Rat was a better example.
grin2.gif

I always thought GM stuff was good in 1994 too. I think it was the era just before the race to the bottom where the mfgs. strongarmed their suppliers.

I've seen those "hoof" style wheels on other cars and they actually look good. Someone had them on an old Ford Torino. I'll post the pic if I can find it.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Hop on a plane/bus & go get it!

The best deals I have found always ended up that way! (I bought my 1997 Cobra convertible in Idaho)

I'd like to, there's just no way that's happening when this thing goes to auction in 3 days.

Originally Posted By: andyd
grin2.gif

23 years and 215K doesn't bother me on this platform. I drove my '94 Ranger with the same drivetrain and 196K to work today. That Explorer looks like it was well maintained, probably one owner being a donated vehicle in that condition, and the Pacific NW seems easy on vehicles...a lot of rust free "survivors" come from that region. There are trucks with that drivetrain that have over 500K and are still going. Rust is the Achilles' heel on these and that Explorer doesn't look like it has any.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Kinda odd the 5 speed being the right-side shifter. Was that a top-loader or some sort of linkage?

The transmission is top-loader, the t-case is linkage.

Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool

I thought all of those had electronically shifted 4wd. Could you get a manually shifted T case with the automatic?

You could get a manual t-case through 1997 even with an auto trans, but it was special order. Push button 4WD and auto hubs were standard across the board, even on a base model Ranger starting around 1990/91 when the Explorer replaced the Bronco II. Manual stuff was a no cost option. All of the manual t-case Explorers after 1994 that I have seen have been base models from fleets, but before that they would put a manual t-case in anything. I've seen a 1992 Eddie Bauer with an auto trans and factory manual t-case and hubs.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I've seen those "hoof" style wheels on other cars and they actually look good. Someone had them on an old Ford Torino. I'll post the pic if I can find it.

I've always liked that style of wheel. My 1994 Ranger has them, and my 1995 Explorer (rust victim) had them. I also like the saw blade wheels...
1994-ford-explorer-1301676-9519869.JPG

I buddy at work just bought a '94 Explorer Limited. It had sat in storage for months, he talked the owner into selling it to him for $700. Thing is clean and runs great at 205k mi, daily driver for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back