What would Walter think of his brand, today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have my everlasting sympathy and condolences, Mr. Chrysler. Instead of leading the industry your brand is hanging on for dear life. The defibrillator's batteries are charged and ready. The priest has been called. Even your beloved DeSoto is but a memory of things long past. And, something called a pickup truck is now the lifeblood of a company that once stood for the ideals of Walter P. Chrysler. If you hear the words, "Fiat 500" worry not. It's slang for "POS" and so far does not yet have a Chrysler badge. For people today to understand Chrysler's place in the market they need only think Lexus to understand what driving a Chrysler or a DeSoto in the 1930's would be like. Thankfully Mr. Chrysler didn't live long enough to see his life's work fade away without even a whimper.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
: yawn :

How long has it been since there has been a Chrysler-banded vehicle worth buying?

Same here....
though my ex-wife's 2006 Grand Caravan SXT was pretty decent until the power side doors decided to start opening & closing by themselves.

The Cummins 5.9 diesels are GREAT engines... when swapped into other trucks.

Iacocca is 93 years old..........wouldn’t it be nice if he were to come out of retirement and.......

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If you hear the words, "Fiat 500" worry not. It's slang for "POS"

Both of my wife's Fiat 500's (2012 Sport and 2012 Abarth) have been flawless in comparison to her 2008 Crossfire.
The Crossfire wound up with over $20k in warranty repairs during the 3 years she owned it, not to mention the smaller things I took care of myself just to avoid going back to the local Chrysler Dealer who's staff consisted of people who make ram_man look like a competent mechanic.

Chrysler had been making vehicles no one wanted to buy long before Fiat came on board.
In fact, they still are making almost all the same vehicles as they were before the FIAT acquisition.

Also, just remember the fact that if it wasn't for FIAT, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and Ram may have all have gone the same way as Saturn, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Mercury, and Plymouth by this point in time.

We're one economic downturn and oil price spike away from their products being dumped by anyone that can't afford a large gasoline bill, yet again.

BC.

How long has it been since there has been a Chrysler-banded vehicle worth buying?

The 300 is quite nice....

Gosh, it must be at least 24hrs since we had our last Chrysler-bashing thread though, right boys? Good grief...

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Gosh, it must be at least 24hrs since we had our last Chrysler-bashing thread though, right boys? Good grief...

Punt, my man,,,,,punt...........https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/subaru-owners-complain-of-engine-failure-high-oil-consumption-092315.html

I've always had good service from Chrysler products. My Challenger 5.7 got 28 mpg on a trip through the mountains and like all my other Dodges has been flawless. Chrysler also has nice interiors. I bought my Challenger from a Honda dealer and their seats are not even close to the seats in the Dodge for comfort and support. Also the Accord has no decent legroom for a tall person. I don't see where the love for imports comes from.

Yes, but the 300 over a Charger? I don't think so.

Chrysler as a brand has long been an also-ran.

I thought I'd never by a Chrysler, was always a guy who liked Toyota or Honda. Then my Sienna was at the point that it needed constant repairs since it was 18 years old.

I was looking for another replacement but most used vans were priced too high and needed too many repairs. Got a good deal in my 2015 caravan with zero pct financing.

The van has been fine for me, only issue was a bad gas cap. I'm a convert for FCA products.

Yes, but the 300 over a Charger? I don't think so.

Chrysler as a brand has long been an also-ran.

The 300 is a nicer car than the Charger inside. I've driven both.

I'd think Walter P would have been [censored] off after the 57 line started falling apart and not until the FWD revolution starting with the 78 Omni/Horizon and the later K car (along with the guidance of Lee Iacocca) would he have been proud of Chrysler's engineering work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I certainly do not agree with the idea that Chrysler products are poor. They do have their share of low end cars. However, the better stuff is quite good.

At least 40 years.

When I was in my early 20's and selling cars at a Chevrolet/Oldsmobile dealership, our sales manager had us discourage customers to sell any Chrysler product on their own rather than take it as a trade-in. At that time it wasn't as common for dealerships to wholesale unwanted used cars, and he didn't want to have to low ball a customer on a Chrysler, nor did he want to deal with selling them and having customer complaints when they broke down in the first 30 days.

I've never seen any improvement in Chrysler quality any time since.

It hurts that so much of the auto industry is worthless-to-the-consumer marketing.

No more economical Saabs, Audis or Volvos. They all have to be expensive cars to boost margins.
Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Chevrolet et.al. were all dead clones of each other. Actually, they always bothered me.
Same for Mercury and Fords.
I can live with shared parts from a Lincoln or a Cadillac but having multiple "brands" which weren't different was pure bull fertilizer.
Very sad to see the germ of Saab and Saturn extinguished.

You KNOW I'd be in a Crosley today. Surprise her with a Kaiser.

shhhhh, overkill -- you don't want to discourage bashing threads, since, by nature, they are drama queen threads. and drama queen threads, by nature, are funny.they are started by drama queens to incite other drama queens to bash products -- cars, phones, t.v.'s, whatever.some people just want to hear themselves talk.
bashing a product is o.k., but when guys go on and on, and on and on about it -- that's just childish/immature.but -- funny.

our pool bets are automatic on a few topics, and this topic is the main one, since pops was banned. ---guy is a serious chryco basher, and I've won 2 pools this year, by picking when he will bash/cry/whine in the thread. just luck, and thankyou, ---guy. in a recent basher thread, he was called out by another about his never ending bashing on bitog, and several other sites. how pathetic it that -- when a guy goes on multiple sites to bash/cry about a product ?

point is, overkill, we need as many drama queen threads as possible.have a good evening.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If you hear the words, "Fiat 500" worry not. It's slang for "POS"

Both of my wife's Fiat 500's (2012 Sport and 2012 Abarth) have been flawless in comparison to her 2008 Crossfire.
The Crossfire wound up with over $20k in warranty repairs during the 3 years she owned it, not to mention the smaller things I took care of myself just to avoid going back to the local Chrysler Dealer who's staff consisted of people who make ram_man look like a competent mechanic.

Chrysler had been making vehicles no one wanted to buy long before Fiat came on board.
In fact, they still are making almost all the same vehicles as they were before the FIAT acquisition.

Also, just remember the fact that if it wasn't for FIAT, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and Ram may have all have gone the same way as Saturn, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Mercury, and Plymouth by this point in time.

We're one economic downturn and oil price spike away from their products being dumped by anyone that can't afford a large gasoline bill, yet again.

BC.

Then one has to wonder why Fiat wants out of this shotgun marriage that the previous administration pushed onto them, not unlike The Godfather’s famous “signature or brains” threat?

Fact is, nobody wants it. Chrysler has been passed from swindler to swindler who come in many forms. Hedge funds, German companies and on.... Chrysler’s last hurrah was the minivan and they rode that wave until it petered out and the suv/ crossover craze took over. They didn’t see it coming.

One trick pony....I am amazed they make mostly garbage and a few really great vehicles at the same time.

Chrysler was doing great and flush with cash when Diamler (which was in financial trouble) latched on and bled them dry. The Diamler days were terrible, other than a few really good platforms they shared with Chrysler. I hated those boxy, rubbermaid interior vehicles they put out. Fiat has finally cleaned up the interiors and designs, they have some really nice products out now.

And the last thing we need is another GM or Chrysler bashing thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back