Printers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an HP Envy 5530 that I have grown to hate. I have 4 computers in the house and only one computer will print wirelessly with it, and that's even iffy. It won't print a second time unless I turn it off and back on. It'll come up with an error message that "Job XXX cannot print" about a half hour after I've successfully printed it and then it won't let me delete the error from the queue. The other 3 recognize the printer but always say it's offline and I've reinstalled the software several times to no avail. One of the computers will send something to the queue and it disappears. Won't even worked plugged in with a USB cable.

Ready to throw this thing in the dumpster where it belongs...what's a good replacement that will always print? Would also like a scanner/copier too.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
I have an HP Envy 5530
Ready to throw this thing in the dumpster where it belongs...what's a good replacement that will always print? Would also like a scanner/copier too.

Picture this, you are a support person on the phone and you get a call about this [censored] and you have to get it up and running, so my point is it could be worse, it could be your job. but I digress, can't you phone the support people for your printer? I think you need to flash your printer, have you tried this? FLASH (mob) your printer??

Going to look at Brother printers...thanks!
I haven't spoken to tech support but I have been on all the different help pages. I'm not sure if it's under warranty or not.

I left HP and went with some other brands but ended up back at HP. I have 5 of the HP Officejet Pro "8000" series. Most are the 8620. We have no problem at home or at church. iMac, iPad, iPhone, Moto Phone, Samsung Phone, etc all work perfectly wirelessly. If you haven't gone past the "point of no return" as I sometimes do, you could try and remove the printer from all you computers, unplug the printer to let it reset, and then try and reinstall that printer software on your computers. That was one big problem I ran into when I still had multiple printers on my computers. Make sure you remove them before reinstalling software. I guess my computers got confused....

Also, if you aren't "done"
mad.gif
, you may go to HP site and check on software updates. I have also made that oversight as well. Come to think of of, most of my problems with the 5 printers were fixed with removing the printers from my computers, turning everything off including wifi and then reinstalling them. Hope that helps!

Last edited:
This is exactly why I always buy a wired printer. I think all my printers also support WiFi; I've even tried that for a while. It always gets down to, turn it off/on every 2-3-4 weeks, it's not printing again.

On Wired Ethernet it's more like once a year.

Yes you can print from your Wireless devices to a wired ethernet printer. You still have a WiFi router in your home.

Find the printers MAC address,

Use this to make a DHCP reservation on your router...

Printer will have the same IP address all the time...

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
Going to look at Brother printers...thanks!

HP stinks - Get a top-shelf Brother and never look back
thumbsup2.gif

I'll jump on the Brother bandwagon too. I have a large MFC type like the one in the amazon link in the office and I have a cheapo monochrome laser one in the truck. I wanted to print wirelessly in the truck..and since I had the latest and greatest Samsung phone..I went out and bought the latest and greatest Samsung printer with wi-fi direct and NFC. The phone and printer would never reliably talk to one another and would take 10-15 minutes to set up each time.. The NFC would just launch the wi-fi direct menu..not do anything else and I needed to download 2 Samsung apps to make any of it ever work.

Downloaded a free app, used the USB C to USB adapter that came with my phone and the old cheapo Brother works every time! Samsung went to the shredder!

Originally Posted By: HondaBroMike
Brother made the first laser printer. They're old school.

I don't know where you read that, but it's not even close.

The laser printer was invented by Xerox and one of the consumer grade devices was the HP laser jet which was based on an engine developed by Canon. All my HP lasers have Canon engines and they are bullet proof.

Brother started making lasers after they saw the success of the HP, but there was Xerox, IBM, Canon, Apple and HP with units on the market before them.

They do make good printers however, and I don't really rate the newer HP stuff (thanks Carly).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brad_C
Originally Posted By: HondaBroMike
Brother made the first laser printer. They're old school.

I don't know where you read that, but it's not even close.

The laser printer was invented by Xerox and one of the consumer grade devices was the HP laser jet which was based on an engine developed by Canon. All my HP lasers have Canon engines and they are bullet proof.

Brother started making lasers after they saw the success of the HP, but there was Xerox, IBM, Canon, Apple and HP with units on the market before them.

They do make good printers however, and I don't really rate the newer HP stuff (thanks Carly).

No I mean commercial successful desktop laser printer. C'mon, but yeah.

Also worth mentioning is that HP now owns/operates the Samsung printer division. I always was quite fond of the inexpensive colour lasers Samsung made, will be interesting to watch that under HP's stewardship.

HP consumer level products are utter garbage.

The only thing worse than the product is the support...

I would not take one for personal use if it was free.

Look at Epson Workforce/Workforce PRO series..

+1 on Brother.
I went through several HP pieces of garbage in the past, then a friend showed me his Brother printer. I went out and bought the same model, which I've been using it for at least five years without any problems.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back