Tried out Castrol 5w40 for the first time

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is in my Infiniti. I ran 10w40 in the summer and this Castrol seemed like a good choice for the winter. So far, it's smooth and quiet, just like the VML 10w40 was.

Got it at AZ for $26.99 along with an STP XL filter.

Last edited:
You must do predominant, majority, highway driving to the exclusion of city unless it is to only to exit highways, amIrighhhhhttt? Hiel, this time of the year, I figure everyone is on that 0 weight something juice and concoction.

Last edited:
Your Infinity is supposed to be running with 5W-30. What do you have to say for that ?
grin.gif

2002 INFINITI I35 3.5L 6 -cyl Engine VQ35DE
VISCOSITIES:
All TEMPS....5W-30 SAE 5W-30 is preferred.
Above 0 F....10W-30
CAPACITIES: With filter 4.2 quarts After refill check oil level.
TORQUES: Oil Drain Plug...22-29 ft/lbs
Source: Amsoil

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Your Infinity is supposed to be running with 5W-30. What do you have to say for that ?
grin.gif

VISCOSITIES:
Above 0 F....10W-30

These engines are known shearers. UOA's consistently show they love 40wt oils.

And c'mon Merk, this wouldn't be BITOG if everybody used the spec'd oil. How boring
smile.gif

Last edited:
I'm pretty much a Castrol guy and have used their 5W-40 in my son's 50K mile old 2005 Ford F-150 4.8 liter V8. It was noticeably quieter on that stuff than it was the 5w-30 Mobil 1 he had in it. FWIW, YMMV.

For some reason that Castrol 5W-40 gets a bad rap here on BITOG, but I think you will be fine using it in your 125K mile old Infiniti. Whether or not you're using 5W-40, don't excessively rev cold motors. I've taught my wife and boys this from the very beginning.

Scott

I wouldn't say that Castrol 5W-40 necessary has a bad rep around here, it's just that Castrol's own 0W-40 "Edges" it out (get it? get it?) for less money.

It's still a fine oil and should be great in your VQ.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
And c'mon Merk, this wouldn't be BITOG if everybody used the spec'd oil. How boring
smile.gif

Everybody is always saying you're supposed to use the spec'd oil.
"How dare you recommend 5W-30 when my car calls for 0W-20."

I'm not using the spec'd oil either. Somebody sent me some free Valvoline 5W-40.
grin.gif

“Whether or not you're using 5W-40, don't excessively rev cold motors. I've taught my wife and boys this from the very beginning.“

Some very sound advice there. Good to see ya around SLO_Town.

Originally Posted By: mclasser

smile.gif

grin.gif
I mix a li'l 15W-50 in with my 0W-20 for a li'l extra "kick"!
grin.gif

5W-30 called for in my car except where it's real hot so 10W-30 gets an OK.
I use Mobil1 0W-40 now 'cause it's, "...closer to a 30..."
My car seems to like it. Quiet is good.

Probably the same thing I do, Merk: pffft. I'd have recommended he go with the Castrol A3/B4 0w-40, since it is a bit better oil for the money, but that's another matter.

grin.gif

VISCOSITIES:
Above 0 F....10W-30

A lot of cars recommending 5W30 were built before 0W40 was conceived, the only remote concern I'd have is if the passages were a bit too narrow for a 40 weight oil, but as I said I'm not sure if that is a valid concern. I'd say go for it.

Originally Posted By: Pelican
the only remote concern I'd have is if the passages were a bit too narrow for a 40 weight oil

lol nope

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back