Fumoto Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m gonna get some Fumoto’s for my cars while they are on sale. You can see the cars I take care of in my sig. I have several questions. First, does the one with the short nipple need their hose attachment kit or can I just buy my own hose? Second, I can easily use the long nipple on my 4 Runner. Which would you buy for the others? Third, what would you use to catch 6 qts of oil in that you could carry to AAP and dump? I want a bottle with a screw top. Of course I could use a couple of gallon jugs but was wondering how you do it?

They have that new adjustable valve out and it looks great but it may be overkill.

If you can get the long nipple get that one. The short ones I don't like. That said you can attach your own hose to the smaller nipple ones they just don't have a lot of surface for the hose to attach. The short nipple version is for tighter spaces. I was forced to use the short nipple one on my MIL's 2009 CRV because that is all that was available and I used my own hose no problem.

I also like the longer nipple ones because you can put a rubber cap on the end of it as a safety in case for some reason the valve starts leaking or opens up. (Never seen this happen but I'm a safety nut). It's also good for keeping the end of the valve clean for uncontaminated UOA's, the short one doesn't allow for this and the caps they will sell you fall off easily.

As for catching the oil I use a standard open pan that is capable of 6 liters because my Journey has 5 in it. Just get something about 1-2 quarts bigger. Cut your hose to be just below the lip of your pan when connected to the F-Valve.

Last edited:
I have the short nipples on my Fumoto valves. I also use a deep drain pan that has decent sides on it to catch any splashing oil that comes out hot. I also ordered the safety clips for both my valves for extra security. Very well investment & years later -- im very happy I purchased them.

Originally Posted By: StevieC

As for catching the oil I use a standard open pan that is capable of 6 liters because my Journey has 5 in it. Just get something about 1-2 quarts bigger. Cut your hose to be just below the lip of your pan when connected to the F-Valve.

What do you use to transfer the oil to the "dumping" station?

I use cat litter jugs to bring oil to my Indy mechanic who heats the garage with it.

I do not need them back which is good as they may not be free to dump the oil.

I'm thinking about one of those 5 gallon white plastic jugs you transfer aquarium water with...

As far as what container to dump your oil into, or any fluid for that matter, I like to,
use the original containers.
That way there is no question of what's in the container.

Only problem is when your starting out, you have to acquire some 'empties'.
No reason to have a lot of empties, after you pour in the new fluid, you have another empty.

Oil in oil container
Brake Fluid in B.F. container
Coolant in C. container along with Distilled Water container
Trans Fluid .....
Differential Fluid ......
Power Steering Fluid ......

Try finding a....

U.S. Navy square, 8 gallon cap. water can. Very thick metal.

I drain into a spouted tray catch. Wide open atop...don't get the one with that "surface" or the jug shaped one which you can "stand up" and walk away with. THEY LEAK and your draining process is all over the side by design.

Also, a tray catch is low enough to fit anywhere. THE SPOUT ALLOWS YOU TO POUR IT INTO ANYTHING FOR TRANSPORT.

DON'T TRY TO SIDE-STEP THE TRANSFER STEP.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Try finding a....

U.S. Navy square, 8 gallon cap. water can. Very thick metal.

I drain into a spouted tray catch. Wide open atop...don't get the one with that "surface" or the jug shaped one which you can "stand up" and walk away with. THEY LEAK and your draining process is all over the side by design.

Also, a tray catch is low enough to fit anywhere. THE SPOUT ALLOWS YOU TO POUR IT INTO ANYTHING FOR TRANSPORT.

DON'T TRY TO SIDE-STEP THE TRANSFER STEP.

Right now, I'm leaning your way. I have gotten so irritated at the jug shaped, stand up....

Originally Posted By: Gebo
Originally Posted By: StevieC

What do you use to transfer the oil to the "dumping" station?

Dumping Station... How about the nearby sewer. It's far more convenient.
lol.gif
(J/K of course)

My dad has access to lots of empty 5 gallon pails (Similar to paint pails but with a sealing liquid proof lid) that have a small hole with a screw on cap in the lid and it holds the funnel nicely so I fill these and take them to our local recycle center. Or I use the Amsoil gallon containers but this is a pain because my Journey takes a bit more than 1 gallon so I'm always either short a gallon or have a 1/2 full oil oil gallon sort of thing.

Last edited:
Any auto body shop will have empty paint thinner cans you can have for free. I also like the cat litter jugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back