Phosphorus 608 656

Zinc 726 753

Molybdenum 77 202

Boron
Water
Coolant No No

Viscosity 7.6 7.4

TBN 3.9 3.9

Does the engine get noisy with the oil down to 7.6 KV100. Should retain viscosity better when wearin is through at ~20K miles

Looks solid.

Last edited:
I have the same engine in my Journey. They are great engines when fully broken in. I have almost 0's on my UOA's.

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I have the same engine in my Journey. They are great engines when fully broken in. I have almost 0's on my UOA's.

cheers3.gif

Is that the so-called "World Engine".....developed jointly by Chrysler, Mitsubishi and Hyundai?...I've always liked that engine.

Originally Posted By: pbm

cheers3.gif

Is that the so-called "World Engine".....developed jointly by Chrysler, Mitsubishi and Hyundai?...I've always liked that engine.

If I remember correctly, it is with updates of course. Does Fiat still get engines from the GEMA plant? I thought production had been shifted back to North America, ie USA and Mexico?

Yes it's the World Gas Engine. Although it's noisier and my thirsty than the Mitsu/Hyundai version of the engine it is a very durable engine that puts up with a lot of stress and is quite easy on the oil. At least with my Amsoil anyway because I frequently drive my Journey like I stole it. Come get me coppers.

I intend to run bypass filtration with it now that it's off warranty and I'm just about through with all my EA15K filters.

GEMA built the engines until 2012 and now they are built by Chrysler. Mine is a 2015 vintage so it appears they are doing it properly with 0's in my UOA's.
grin2.gif

My UOA is here: (Sampled at 4900km's) https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/4540607/Searchpage/3/Main/277478/Words/5w20+sso/Search/true/Re:_AMSOIL_SSO_5W20_UOA

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Does the engine get noisy with the oil down to 7.6 KV100. Should retain viscosity better when wearin is through at ~20K miles

Looks solid.

I have not noticed extra noise, this is my wife's vehicle, I do drive it but not near as much as she does, I'll have to pay more attention to the noise level.
TOTO.

Originally Posted By: Toto

Looks solid.

I have not noticed extra noise, this is my wife's vehicle, I do drive it but not near as much as she does, I'll have to pay more attention to the noise level.
TOTO.

Arco is just pushing your button here. Don’t worry about noise.

Starting about 2013, FCA started converting over to the 2.4L Tigershark engine, which was nearly a complete redesign from the original GEMA engine. StevieC's Journey might still have the "sewing machine" GEMA type engine while the OP's Renegade should have the Tigershark engine.

Here's a different version of the Wikipedia history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Gasoline_Engine

My Mopar mechanic buddy told me that when FCA bought out the rights to GEMA engine in 2009, they made a few minor improvements. I have the original/improved 2.4L in my Patriot. It has a reputation of excellent reliability, but unrefined operation. An article I read at Allpar.com states that the Tigershark only shares about 12% of the parts from the GEMA version.

Chrysler was very proud of the development of the Dundee Michigan plant, saying that they broke all the molds, including "hiring educated workers" that could perform multi tasks throughout the facility. https://www.allpar.com/corporate/factories/dundee.html

Yep, you don't see many complaints in regards to the Tigershark series of 4cyls. Maybe not the best fuel economy in the segment is about it.

Yes you are correct his 2.4 is slightly different than mine on the top end but the rest of the engine is the same.
\
That's what I thought also, but this following article says: "Chrysler fits the Tigershark’s all-new cast aluminum block with a new forged steel crank and connecting rods and a redesigned bearing beam. "

http://wardsauto.com/technology/tigershark-spells-end-world-engine

Yes the newer 2.4 tigershark is completely different that the older 2.4. I did alot of research when I bought my dart 2.4 tigershark and it seems it's all new from top to bottom. My wife use to have a 2014 Chrysler 200 with the world 2.4 and I always do the servicing, I've noticed on my dart that not only does the top end look different but so does the bottom. Block is different as is oil pan and filter location. Like doitmyself notited the articles about the tigershark say all new block, crank, rods and pistons

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: Toto

Looks solid.

TOTO.

Arco is just pushing your button here. Don’t worry about noise.

NO. Noise is an important part in assessing engine health. I don't mind a little clatter. but not a shower of clatter and hot bearing rap. Most of my cars present this when the oil is sheared to toast.

Keep and ear out. The finest mechanics do this.

My typical rackety 2.5L Nissan was almost dead quiet and powerful on QSUD 10w30 this summer. Right now I'm Non-plused with the current full synthetic Magnatec fill, as I felt the the semi Maggie I used in the past was better in hard useage. The full shows better cold start and run thin-ness but not at high stress; It falls apart like a cheap dino. You run that in a turbo you are toast. Note to WRX guys - don't do it!

Too much VM adds in there BP? C'mon! mates giver 'er the good stuuf! And They say, "... whaddya X-pecked for 18 bucks a gallon plus a quart!"

Meanwhile back to QSUD non dexos 10W in the spring

Last edited:
Unless it's a 3.0L Mitsu Engine in a Chrysler. When you hear the incessant ticking that is the lifters letting you know it's time to add oil. You know you have added enough when there blue smoke coming out of the exhaust. It was a great feature and changing the oil only meant changing the filter because the oil changed itself.
lol.gif

Last edited:
Unless it's a 3.0L Mitsu Engine in a Chrysler. When you hear the incessant ticking that is the lifters letting you know it's time to add oil. You know you have added enough when there blue smoke coming out of the exhaust. It was a great feature and changing the oil only meant changing the filter because the oil changed itself.
lol.gif

I never had that issue, maybe because it was a Mitsu vehicle. Didn’t the engines going into Chrysler vehicles have a different head?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back