Dexos 1 vs. Chryco MS6395

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello: I am a new member and have been searching in vain to find the specifications for the Dexos 1 oil and the Chrysler MS6395. Does any one know of a site where these two material standards can be compared side by side or ??

Thnx.... Knead2no.

The specs can't be all that different because all the oils that meet Dexos 1 I have seen also meet MS-6395. Just FWIW.

Example:

Last edited:
MS6395 isn't that stringent...anything Dexos meets it plus others too. I haven't found anything on the shelves of Walmart that doesn't. Mobil oils don't but that's the result of a business dispute. Mobil and Pennzoil don't like each other and FCA likes Pennzoil (I think they have ownership in Shell) so Mobil lost its certification.

I thought it was Shell and Ferrari? Although, Ferrari and Fiat had a relationship that ended. Fiat seems to never get along with anyone for the long haul. Even now they have been trying to get rid of Chrysler but nobody wants them.

Some interesting reading about Ferrari and Fiat and the automotive world of Italy.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
MS6395 isn't that stringent...anything Dexos meets it plus others too.

^^ This ^^

If it meets Dexos (which is pretty stringent), it's good enough for pretty much anything else.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
MS6395 isn't that stringent...anything Dexos meets it plus others too. I haven't found anything on the shelves of Walmart that doesn't. Mobil oils don't but that's the result of a business dispute. Mobil and Pennzoil don't like each other and FCA likes Pennzoil (I think they have ownership in Shell) so Mobil lost its certification.

Only a partially factual statement. All XOM PCMO's in the correct grade meet Chrysler specs with the exception of Mobil One. FCA and Shell are partners.

Yep, that Chrysler spec is useless. Supposedly Mobil 1 isn't approved, what a joke! It was on sale at Costco, no way I wasn't taking advantage of that deal.

I have a Ram 1500 with the 5.7L hemi that "requires" the Chrysler certified oil.

I plan on doing most of my own oil changes and I already have a few purchases of the exact spec oil Chrysler *expects* to be in the engine (5W-20, PP or PUP).

Im a fan of Pennzoil stuff anyway, but do agree the whole Mobil/SOPUS/Chrysler thing is stupid and the only one that really loses in the end is the consumer. Maybe if the Chrysler spec were something special, but it doesnt look like it is.

I owned a 2001 Dakota and a 2003 RAM. Both were equipped with the 4.7 V8. Both were gas hogs. I experimented with numerous oils to wring out a little more fuel mileage. I settled on Valvoline SynPower 5W30. You will be pleased with Valvoline SynPower 5W30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back