Bosch/Exide AGM Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to the Pep Boys Black Friday sale, I have the opportunity to purchase a Bosch (Exide) AGM Battery for the Accord at an unusually low price- $93 after all discounts and rebates.

My preference for batteries has been the WorldSourceOne (Deka Premium) line, but I have always wanted to try an AGM battery for giggles. However, my main concern is with the quality of Exide produced batteries.

Does anyone have experience with the Exide line of AGM batteries?

Thanks.

I've had one in my Cougar for a year, although the car is not daily driver. All I can say is that it works fine, the blue top looks great in a blue car, and I would certainly buy another.

Im surprised that the WorldSource is a good battery, its always marketed as their cheapest house brand through WorldPac. I guess I wont feel as bad installing them when no other options are close. Bosch had a big problem with the earlier batteries they made, up until the beginning of this year. If the production date is 11/16 or later, which it should be by now, theyre much better.

I've seen the same deal-I'm looking for one for the XJ in my sig, it is running a semi-rehabilitated AZ Duralast Gold at the moment (2 months of pulsing on a Battery Minder got it back to testing at 550 CCA, rated 800 CCA). My biggest issue is dealing with Pep Boys-if I said I had no use for them, it would be an understatement. [CENSORED] (use your imagination) is a good description for that automotive cesspool!

Deka aka East Penn Battery manufactures great batteries branded under many names, Napa batteries are now included. AGM batteries are premium, a totally sealed one should be fresh aka not long after activation + batteries that are activated @ purchase or buy you are surely fresh. i always FULLY charge a new battery before install, of course emergencies are different!

$93 would be an excellent price.

I currently have 5. Two group 65 in the F250. A group 24 in the pilot, and three 51s between the Hondas and the tractor. The 65s are from 2014 and have been flawless. No issues with the others either. No leakage around the posts. So far they have all been great for me. All of the engines, especially the little Diesel in the tractor start quicker with the Exides. Their voltage drop has been less during cranking in all instances compared th the flooded units they replaced.

I have used deka AGM with great success. Exide has a long bad standing, but I'm not sure it's warranted; much may be old knee jerk.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I have used deka AGM with great success. Exide has a long bad standing, but I'm not sure it's warranted; much may be old knee jerk.

I have a Deka AGM in th Nova. It seems to be great so far.

I refuse to buy an Exide flooded cell battery, and I haven't touched one in a decade. It seemed that every Exide flooded cell battery I bought prior to that started corroding the terminals almost immediately, and never made it past three years. I know how to clean and properly tighten the terminals, and it is fairly hot here, but the Deka and JCI batteries have always been better for me in flooded configuration.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
My biggest issue is dealing with Pep Boys-if I said I had no use for them, it would be an understatement. [CENSORED] (use your imagination) is a good description for that automotive cesspool!

Pretty much what I think of them.

Originally Posted By: benjy
AGM batteries are premium, a totally sealed one should be fresh aka not long after activation + batteries that are activated @ purchase or buy you are surely fresh.

I have an Odyssey battery that's about 8 years old and still going strong!

Geeze No Pep Boys close, I had work van oil/filter done at a PB 40 miles away. Totally negative experience. And 2 bad Exides in a row ,30 yrs ago, same deal.

I just bought a Group 48 Bosch AGM for $99.99 after rebate and 4 year non-prorated warranty. It's replacing the factory traditional flooded design Group 96R in my wife's 2011 Mustang which has been in service just shy of 7 years. I expect to get similar if not longer life from the Group 48 AGM personally.

BITOG thread link

That thread has someone posting getting 6 years from their Bosch AGM battery and still going. Good personal testimonial from an actual Bosch AGM owner goes a lot further with me than trepidation from older Exide non-AGM design testimonials.

Thanks for your first-hand experience posts as well Jim Truett & tomcat27.

The only battery I've ever had real performance problems with were Champion spiral cell design sold at Sam's Club last decade. I don't think I got 2 years out of either the original nor its replacement in my prior truck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Due to the Pep Boys Black Friday sale, I have the opportunity to purchase a Bosch (Exide) AGM Battery for the Accord at an unusually low price- $93 after all discounts and rebates...

I've had an Exide Edge AGM in my Subaru since July 2013. No problems with it. During the winter, I put it on an external charger once a month.

Last edited:
Thanks folks.

I pulled the trigger and bought the battery. Even though the old battery tested OK (4.5 yr old Interstate), the car starts noticeably faster.

I was in the mood to try snake oil today, so I stopped by Walmart on my drive home and splurged 97 cents for the NOCO Battery Washers that you see in the picture.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Did you compare centech impedance on old vs new?

The old one was about 7. I did not have my tester with me so I was unable to check the new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back