Best synthetic oil for 2010 Silverado 5.3 lc9 moto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sax

My 2010 Silverado 4wd 5.3 lc9 with 40,000 miles. I have always used mobile 1 synthetic 5w30
Since day one. I’ve been hearing that there are better oils than this. I would like to purchase
In 5gal buckets if possible for wif a car also. Would 5 w 40 cause and problems?
Wife car is 2017 vw Passat is 1.8 turbo that uses 5w40
Thanks

Originally Posted By: Sax
My 2010 Silverado 4wd 5.3 lc9 with 40,000 miles. I have always used mobile 1 synthetic 5w30
Since day one. I’ve been hearing that there are better oils than this. I would like to purchase
In 5gal buckets if possible for wif a car also. Would 5 w 40 cause and problems?
Thanks

Amsoil does well in these engines and it's available in larger pack sizes like this and it can be shipped to your door. PM Pablo for pricing.

Mobil 1 is good, but no longer substantially better than many others.

Some 5w40's should be perfectly suitable for your truck, but with 40K it's nowhere near necessary unless you're working it real hard.

Nothing wrong with M1, if it's serving you well, why stop? M1 European Formula 0W-40 can probably be used in the Passat and is an excellent oil.

Originally Posted By: Alex_V

Some 5w40's should be perfectly suitable for your truck, but with 40K it's nowhere near necessary unless you're working it real hard.

If your truck lives an easy life, synthetic oil isn't necessary for any phase of its operation parameters.

I love Mobile, AL
05.gif

and Mobil 1 synthetic oils.

Originally Posted By: Sax
Thanks

Don't believe everything you read on the net. Including BITOG. M1 5-30 is one of the best 5-30 oils.

Your ~6,000 miles a year include a lot of short hops? What does its OLM read when you're fixing to change?

That LC9 is the aluminum block 'LMG' with 799/243 heads and VVT + AFM. They're typically about as sturdy as an anvil.

I've owned a 2010 Silverado with a 5.3 since it was new and I've used either Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 in it and haven't had any reason to switch to something else. Those engines do not require a Dexos rated oil, that started in 2011 and for many of those engines, nothing but conventional oil was ever used in them and they still live for more than 250,000 miles.

Mobile phones are great to have. … and Mobil is the lubricant line that ExxonMobil elected to stay with.

I have the 2010 LH9 5.3L with VVT etc … ran Delvac 15w40 and then Delvac 1 5w40 in It now …
It’s a bit quieter than the various 5w30’s I have used …

I was a long time user of Mobil-1 oils in all my previous GM P/U's but when I started reading the UOA's of Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil-1 oils, I found out that PP oils usually came back with better UOA's.

Needless to say, I have been using PP oil for around 4-5 yrs now, maybe longer, and I will say, even though most deny this as dysfunctioning brain matter, I believe the engines run quieter using PP than they do on Mobil-1.

I also found, which is a bonus, Pennzoil Platinum is usually cheaper, sometimes significantly, compared to the Mobil-1 oil I was previously using.

Not that I hate Mobil-1 or anything, these are just my findings, plus I still run/use Mobil-1 0W-40 Euro formula in my 2008 Yamaha 4 stroke as I like the add pkg.

Well I put royal purple hp 5w30 in it. I did notice that on start up it now idles about 520rpm and seems to run smoother
I do have a moroso oil separator installed since about 1000 miles and the same time turned off afm and a tune at 5e same time. N o oil in intake and only cleaned throttle body once. It alway very clean.
It’s out of warrenty and was thinking of running RP 5w40 or 10w40due to summer heat and towing in the Florida summers. Would either of these weights cause a problem

You could, but I doubt it would be necessary. If you want a 40, their 0w-40 is probably the best out of the lot, but there's nothing wrong with the 5w-30 HPS, either. General Motors engines have used ILSAC type 30 grades for a lot of years. If it were mine, I'd be perfectly content with RP HPS 5w-30 in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back