Best Dextron Vl brand for overheating conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,
Recently I went to a HPDE event on my '14 Corvette Stingray Z51, which has an automatic transmission. Each time that I went to the track after lapping hard my Corvette it overheated its transmission and I had to abandon the circuit for my vehicle to cool down. But on the street or road my car has never overheated. I was wondering if there is a better brand of Dextron Vl fluid that could help me out while taking my car to the circuit, I don't want to lose my powertrain's warranty by going the aftermarket way. Please advise.

Last edited:
Redline D6 might work for you
smile.gif

Auxiliary trans cooler like others have stated.

Deeper/High Capacity transmission pans can CAUSE issues with the fluid climbing the rear of the pan during hard acceleration...Therefore uncovering the pick-up/filter leading to burnt frictions &/or "Limp-Mode". At least make sure it has baffling in the pan & hope it was tested thoroughly if you decide to go with a higher capacity pan

I agree with you all, about that an improvement on the transmission cooler would be the best option. The track packaged Z51 already comes with a differential & transmission coolers with an integrated fan on the rear left side with additional rear side vents for cooling purpose, but apparently it was not enough since the '16 model was upgraded with an additional front cooler similar to its big brother Z06. But this upgrades aren't authorized by GM to prior years with risk of losing your powertrain warranty. Also LG's coolers look like a great option, but same thing related to GM's warranty. Then probably red line synthetic transmission fluid could be an option while I wait for the GM warranty to expire for me to install either cooler: GM's or LG's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Put a cooler on it.

Agree. No specific fluid is going to prevent overheating.

Mount the biggest oil cooler you can fit in and do a fluid change with Valvoline Dexron VI fluid. It is a synthetic fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back