Looking For A GM PN 3927140 Cam & Lifters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the process of building a '69 302. There are a few parts I am having trouble finding, one is the '69 Z/28 solid lift PN 3927140 camshaft and lifters. I can get aftermarket all day long. I'm looking for the ORIGINAL parts. Anyone know where I might find such parts?

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Is it really that important? To have an exact obsolete cam? Where no one would ever look unless the engine is completely torn down?

There is this:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-1...7IaAikEEALw_wcB

Too bad you missed out on Smokey Yunick's garage sale in Florida a few decades ago....

laugh.gif

Last edited:
Just throwing this in. Many years ago I bought a 69 chevellle with a blown up 6cyl. I then bought a crashed 75 impala for $50 because it had double hump heads someone had stuck on it. Engine was tired and I thought it had a bad oil pump because all the lifters were clicking plus it would not idle well.

Once I got it degreased,found casting numbers etc I found that it was a 1967 302 chevy! Engine code was "MP"! Upon tearing it apart I found the popup pistons and a 3030 duntove solid cam...no wonder the lifters were so noisey! I reringed it,replaced the cam with a hydraulic cam and had the heads rebuilt. I was using the 75 impala 2bbl carb on it in the chevelle with 3.08 gears and a 3 on the tree it ran 14.47 @ 3000ft!

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Crane makes a blueprint of that cam.

This. Any of the cam companies can grind a cam to your specs.

The 30/30 cam was used in both the 302 and in the 70 LT-1 so you may have some luck at Corvette parts shops. Steve at Steve's Camaros in San Bruno, CA had some NOS cams and I believe he had a 30/30. This was probably ten plus years ago. I don't know his current inventory but he may be worth a shot.

Good luck

Originally Posted By: Duntov283Cam
I'm in the process of building a '69 302. There are a few parts I am having trouble finding, one is the '69 Z/28 solid lift PN 3927140 camshaft and lifters. I can get aftermarket all day long. I'm looking for the ORIGINAL parts. Anyone know where I might find such parts?

I have one, still in the original wrapper and box. I even have the solid lifters to go with it. I also have a DZ block and some 186-L118 heads. I have the heads and cam advertised on an auction site, so you better PM me soon.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: Duntov283Cam

I have one, still in the original wrapper and box. I even have the solid lifters to go with it. I also have a DZ block and some 186-L118 heads. I have the heads and cam advertised on an auction site, so you better PM me soon.

PM sent.
I am also looking for a few other parts as well. Are you interested in selling that block. They are selling on EBAY for $3800. Mine was given to me. I was hired to clean out an old shop for an elderly lady. She said I could keep all of the car parts that were in there. In a sealed crate was a 69 DZ 302 block with the steel crank! I even have the original Holley carb., the cross ram intake, and the distributor. Man, talk about hitting the lottery!

Back in the early 60's my dad had a '63 & '64 Pontiac Catalina. He raced the '63 and would always have spare parts on hand. Of course I wasn't born yet, but my uncles and my grandfather told me all about it later in life. Anyway, December '63, he bought a spare engine for his '63 Catalina. The Catalina came factory with a tri-power SD 421, 4 speed, and a posi rear end, but I don't remember the ratio. The spare SD 421 came from the factory complete from the tri-power intake to the oil pan. But, in 1983 we found out it WASN'T a 421. Pontiac made a handful of .030 bored 421 blocks that were actually 427 ci. This is a VERY RARE engine. Almost as rare as hen's teeth. And, my dad STILL has that engine, covered, on a 4 point engine support sitting next to the factory crate it was delivered in. About every 3-4 months he has someone remove the hand tightened only factory spark plugs and shoot a few shots of RedLine 30wt. racing oil in each cylinder and rotate the crank a few times. The pan is also filled with RedLine 30 wt. racing oil.
My dad had this conditioned warehouse built in 2002 when he finally retired and sold his heavy equipment and dirt service company. This is where my hoard of goodies are stashed. My dad keeps his '65 GTO, 389, 3 deuces, 4 speed, car parked there. He also has a '57 Plymouth, a '56 Buick Special, and his most recent find, a '69 SS El Camino, 396, Turbo 400, posi. This one was a basket case, but it's coming along.

Back in the early 60's my dad had a '63 & '64 Pontiac Catalina. He raced the '63 and would always have spare parts on hand. Of course I wasn't born yet, but my uncles and my grandfather told me all about it later in life. Anyway, December '63, he bought a spare engine for his '63 Catalina. The Catalina came factory with a tri-power SD 421, 4 speed, and a posi rear end, but I don't remember the ratio. The spare SD 421 came from the factory complete from the tri-power intake to the oil pan. But, in 1983 we found out it WASN'T a 421. Pontiac made a handful of .030 bored 421 blocks that were actually 427 ci. This is a VERY RARE engine. Almost as rare as hen's teeth. And, my dad STILL has that engine, covered, on a 4 point engine support sitting next to the factory crate it was delivered in. About every 3-4 months he has someone remove the hand tightened only factory spark plugs and shoot a few shots of RedLine 30wt. racing oil in each cylinder and rotate the crank a few times. The pan is also filled with RedLine 30 wt. racing oil.
My dad had this conditioned warehouse built in 2002 when he finally retired and sold his heavy equipment and dirt service company. This is where my hoard of goodies are stashed. My dad keeps his '65 GTO, 389, 3 deuces, 4 speed, car parked there. He also has a '57 Plymouth, a '56 Buick Special, and his most recent find, a '69 SS El Camino, 396, Turbo 400, posi. This one was a basket case, but it's coming along.

Stop! You're making me turn green with envy.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

Stop! You're making me turn green with envy.

Ha, you think you're green with envy, what about me? The warehouse is in Baton Rouge, about 102 miles from here. My brother and/or my cousin in BR keep things up in the warehouse. It's been about 4-5 months since I have been there. That's why I'm green with envy!
I think my dad will leave the SD 421 (427) to my brother, which is fine with me. I think we will see it installed in something and able to see it run like the raped ape it was built to be.
I trust my brother and cousin, but they both know that I have some very pieces in my parts stash. What I own is a drop in the bucket to what my brother owns. He probably has one or more of what I own, and then some. That's why I trust him.He owns a '67 LeMans (No, not a GTO) that I think he will put that 421 (427) into.
All I know is that all of my hoard had better be there!

great stories + info!!! prolly a lot of GOODIES stashes in many garages + sadly many are prolly rotting away!!! but as much as i love nostalgia todays modern hi-tech engines excell + easily make big power reliably due to excellent designs. watched a U-tube today where Nelson aka Nelson Racing talking about the superiority of LS + LX engine designs, but of course they are costly unless your lucky again + get one from a wreck or whatever!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back