Uniroyal tiger paw gtz awful in the rain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rand

I'd throw some H/V rated altimax rt43, or Cooper CS5 ultra touring on it.. but as soon as this reaches 3-4 pages of good tire suggestions.....

ChevRammBoyMan will go buy some other POS tire afterwards anyway. so no point in suggesting anything.

This happens with everything, from Job, Tools, Tires, Cars, Marital advice etc.

Could be some kind of bad tv sitcom.

Last edited:
Brands are not as important as models.
Even top companies create inferior products, just less frequently than lesser ones.
Additional issue is recent giant wheel movement that causes that good and very good tires are expensive while not so good are cheaper.
I think you are moving in right direction with your choice of tires but do not be surprised that your current favourites will be initially excellent but loose their performance quicker than top brands.

Good luck

Krzys

FWIW my 2000 Mustang I bought wrecked had a fairly new set of Falkens on it and I must say they are decent tires even though personally I don't buy anything that's not USA made. I had an S-10 that came with Tiger Paws on it new and they were really bad in the rain. They ended up lasting 65,000 miles, though as they wore forever.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
So I have done quite a bit of reading and it appears that the falken brand and sumitomo in general has good ratings. I always liked sumitomos for the price I wouldn't mind giving them a try. I understand they're a budget oriented tire and that's ok with me as long as they are adequate.

The ONLY thing good about cheap tires is they are cheap, and better than nothing. Just get with the fn program and buy a good tire, which are usually much cheaper in many ways, in the long run. Same goes for the shoes on your feet too.

So I have done quite a bit of reading and it appears that the falken brand and sumitomo in general has good ratings. I always liked sumitomos for the price I wouldn't mind giving them a try. I understand they're a budget oriented tire and that's ok with me as long as they are adequate.

If you can afford the Pilot Sport A/S3+, it'll be the best all season you can put on your car. All this [censored] around with budget/cheap tires is going to end up in another one of these threads in a month or two when you discover they are garbage. That's generally been the trend here, I'm trying to encourage you to break that, but you seem resistant.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
So at one point the Cooper Zeon where recommended and I did buy them because several people earlier this year recommended them and they were terrible and because there was so many issues the tire store just wanted to go back to what was on the car previously I fought with him about it but honestly my give a [censored]'s busted and I just wanted the car to drive and not Shake at highway speeds.
Also everyone should realize that if 50 people give you advice and of those 50 people they had 30 different opinions obviously you can't listen to everyone I do listen to advice on here I'm sorry Rand that I don't typically listen to you. Usually it's because you come off very arrogant. It's been my experience that arrogant people are usually the stupidest people. Maybe if you were nicer to people they would listen more just food for thought

Buy junk, get junk. Get off your wallet, buy good tires and you'll have good experiences. The only time I've ever been let down by a tire purchase was the time I didn't buy a bloody Michelin. At least they are available in your size, I'm presently limited to Pirelli P-Zero's for the Jeep and while they aren't bad, they aren't the PSS. I hope by the time these are used up that Michelin has the Pilot Sport 4S in my size.

Expecting top-tier performance at a Ling-Long price point and buying something only marginally better is ultimately going to be nothing more than an exercise in frustration, as you've already found out. Good tires aren't cheap, and they aren't cheap because they cost money to develop and produce. Time is money. You've already wasted enough time that if it were mine, the value of that time would have paid for the better tires easily.

Yea-well there are plenty of good tires besides the vaulted Michelin brand. Ask the guys that live in the sunbelt about how they are let down by the Michelin tires dry rotting on the rims.

The blind loyalty of the Michelin brand on this forum is unbelievable.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN

Your constant bashing of the brand is not however, it's as regular as a bran muffin and the results are as equally useful.

Your constant bashing of the brand is not however, it's as regular as a bran muffin and the results are as equally useful.

As is the blind loyalty-----makes it even.

If you feel my posts are smell that bad....block them.

Last edited:

I'm not going to block you just because I find your anti-Michelin posts ridiculous, that would be silly. I'm just concerned that you are causing yourself an undue increase in blood pressure railing against something you think is so deeply ingrained. After all, if it is as bad as you seem to think it is, the odds of your protests doing anything other than cause you frustration are essentially zero
21.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
With a name like tiger paw, the tire in bound to suck in all conditions.

These have a nice little paw on the sidewall too. Hopefully you like cats.

I've had the Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP and AWP-2 tires (195-70-14) on my Cavaliers since the late 1980's and they have been good in the wet/snow/dry conditions of Northern Ohio. Stayed balanced and had good tread life. Good results with a cheap tire.

Last edited:

So at one point the Cooper Zeon where recommended and I did buy them because several people earlier this year recommended them and they were terrible and because there was so many issues the tire store just wanted to go back to what was on the car previously I fought with him about it but honestly my give a [censored]'s busted and I just wanted the car to drive and not Shake at highway speeds.
Also everyone should realize that if 50 people give you advice and of those 50 people they had 30 different opinions obviously you can't listen to everyone I do listen to advice on here I'm sorry Rand that I don't typically listen to you. Usually it's because you come off very arrogant. It's been my experience that arrogant people are usually the stupidest people. Maybe if you were nicer to people they would listen more just food for thought

Buy junk, get junk. Get off your wallet, buy good tires and you'll have good experiences. The only time I've ever been let down by a tire purchase was the time I didn't buy a bloody Michelin. At least they are available in your size, I'm presently limited to Pirelli P-Zero's for the Jeep and while they aren't bad, they aren't the PSS. I hope by the time these are used up that Michelin has the Pilot Sport 4S in my size.

Expecting top-tier performance at a Ling-Long price point and buying something only marginally better is ultimately going to be nothing more than an exercise in frustration, as you've already found out. Good tires aren't cheap, and they aren't cheap because they cost money to develop and produce. Time is money. You've already wasted enough time that if it were mine, the value of that time would have paid for the better tires easily.

Yea-well there are plenty of good tires besides the vaulted Michelin brand. Ask the guys that live in the sunbelt about how they are let down by the Michelin tires dry rotting on the rims.

This would be the main reason I personally don't want to buy a set of michelin's I see so many come in the shop a couple years old that are dry rot cracking all over I take my car to car shows even if it's not a safety problem it looks like [censored].

I'm not going to block you just because I find your anti-Michelin posts ridiculous, that would be silly. I'm just concerned that you are causing yourself an undue increase in blood pressure railing against something you think is so deeply ingrained. After all, if it is as bad as you seem to think it is, the odds of your protests doing anything other than cause you frustration are essentially zero
21.gif

The usual suspects. Nothing new here. And FWIW why block anyone? Don't like what they said? Just move on!

This would be the main reason I personally don't want to buy a set of michelin's I see so many come in the shop a couple years old that are dry rot cracking all over I take my car to car shows even if it's not a safety problem it looks like [censored].

If you drive your vehicle and don't let it just sit all the time, I doubt you'd have an issue in your climate. I've never had a set of Michelins dry rot, but of course I live in Canada. But I also drive a lot, and I always wear my tires out. If you put on enough miles per year, it'll be a non-issue.

I'd be cautious drawing parallels and coming to broad-sweeping conclusions based on observations of Bertha and Herald driving their Caravan to the coffee shop every morning, put on 30 miles a week and came into your shop with a set of dry-rotted OEM Premiers on that van. Any tire will dry rot if given enough time. Even if there is an increased propensity for certain Michelin models to do it, the tires I've recommended for you are UHP's and HP A/S's based on the premise you drive frequently and spiritedly, basically the opposite driver profile of Bertha and Herald. You should wear your tires out before dry-rot is even a consideration.

You sound like you are trying to justify not spending the extra money on the good tires. If that's the case, say so, and I'll stop recommending them. I've owned the tires I've recommended, so has SteveSRT8 and many others on here, they are highly recommended for a reason, actually a myriad of reasons.

^^^Me three.

In our fleet service vans weighing over 9000 pounds every morning the LTX, now the Defender, hold up far longer than any E rated tire I have used. And it's not a minor difference. Stock bridgestones last a bit over 20k miles. The Michelins go 60 easy, and with no huge loss of performance as they get worn. They even ride better/quieter.

On my sig car and other HiPo vehicles the old PSS's were amazing, my last set went just past 30k miles. That's big, really impressive when you are driving a heavy car with some torque.

And my new P4S's are supposed to be even better!

I have no input on "regular" Michelins, but I buy a few sets every year for me and my business without hesitation.

Last edited:
I am buying a set of Yokohamas out the door $501 for 4. I see so many Michelins in my area dry rotted. Usually it's average people driving 12-15000 a year. in my mind average people should be their focus. Granted I've never saw an issue with it. Other than looks.
It's just a little unsettling. I'm not taking anything away from Michelin they make a good tire but based on the amount of dry rotted ones I see that are only 3-5 years old I think I'll pass on them unless they were cheaper. If I could get a deal on them I'd consider it. I've had yokos before with great success so hopefully that's the case this time to.

It's just a little unsettling.

It's also entirely irrelevant to the two tires we are discussing unless you've seen the issue with them specifically and I know I never have, nor have I heard of it on here either.

Enjoy the Yokohama's.

It's just a little unsettling.

It's also entirely irrelevant to the two tires we are discussing unless you've seen the issue with them specifically and I know I never have, nor have I heard of it on here either.

Enjoy the Yokohama's.

I can't say that I have or haven't I don't recall. But I've seen it on more than one model of Michelin that I do know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back