Valvoline keep sodium for Gen2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Valvoline Full Syn (w/max life) is now at WM in Gen2 version of Dexos.
While not touted as extended drain, Valvoline's higher sodium formulas have always produced EXCELLENT wear results on UOA's.
I'm wondering if they had to change their formula at all to meet Gen 2 specs? Or, at least when it comes to VFSwML, do we already know what to expect without UOA or VOA's because no tweaking (calcium, etc.) was necessary?

Originally Posted By: lukejo
While not touted as extended drain, Valvoline's higher sodium formulas have always produced EXCELLENT wear results on UOA's.
I'm wondering if they had to change their formula at all to meet Gen 2 specs? Or, at least when it comes to VFSwML, do we already know what to expect without UOA or VOA's because no tweaking (calcium, etc.) was necessary?

I would say there is no sodium. Do a VOA if you want to know.

Probably. GM's artists jumped the shark as it were when they hit dexos1 second generation. The idea of dexos was to simplify things for the consumer, and that has fallen completely off the rails with the second generation.

That looks like a Dexos1 Generation1 logo to me on the PQIA Valvoline bottle.

For Dexos1-Gen2 I think you want something like this

Originally Posted By: lukejo

There is no reason to believe sodium has been substituted for something else. Having said that, a VOA will answer this question.

There's every reason to believe the sodium is gone. Sodium acts as an LSPI accelerant in the presence of calcium. That is why there has been no sodium and significantly lower calcium in the new D1G2 formulations.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
There's every reason to believe the sodium is gone. Sodium acts as an LSPI accelerant in the presence of calcium. That is why there has been no sodium and significantly lower calcium in the new D1G2 formulations.

Only way anyone will know is to call Valvoline tech as I did and Mark the tech said “yes, we are STILL using Sodium.”

If you don’t like that reply you can always send a sample in for VOA

The best way to find out is analysis.

Valvoline may still be using sodium according to Mark the V tech but the question of moly and boron still exists. I assume the two can be used in the same formulation. Also the level of sodium would be important.

It’s a non metallic sodium I know this from talking to a different technician 2 years ago. Shotgun429 has saw real clean engines so his word is good enough for me
smile.gif

I still can’t wrap my head around the hatred and dislike for sodium in oils when people don’t know what sodium even does. Hmmm

Originally Posted By: PimTac
The best way to find out is analysis.

Valvoline may still be using sodium according to Mark the V tech but the question of moly and boron still exists. I assume the two can be used in the same formulation. Also the level of sodium would be important.

Sodium is cheaper than Moly I learned; why Valvoline stopped using it

Originally Posted By: car51
It’s a non metallic sodium I know this from talking to a different technician 2 years ago. Shotgun429 has saw real clean engines so his word is good enough for me
smile.gif

I still can’t wrap my head around the hatred and dislike for sodium in oils when people don’t know what sodium even does. Hmmm

I remember a thread some time back where we had a great discussion on sodium additives. I want to say Sodium Sulphonate or a similar salt was the additive discussed. Sulphonates have some interesting properties and I say that only from reading about them here. I am not a scientist nor an engineer.

Sodium is fine as a additive I will say
smile.gif

...just not for DI turbo engines as bigj_16 said previously. It appears to exacerbates LSPI when used with calcium. Calcium also exacerbates LSPI, that why Dexos1 gen 2 oils are showing lower calcium levels and usually the addition of more magnesium, like what Mobil 1 5W-30 and the new PP 5W-30 exhibit in VOA's and UOA's.

Whimsey

Whiskey: I have some 5w30 Syn Maxlife, I’ll sacrifice some for VOA

I stand corrected so sorry bout that folks

Last edited by a moderator:
Whiskey: I have some 5w30 Syn Maxlife, I’ll sacrifice some for VOA

I stand corrected so sorry bout that folks

If you meant me, WHIMSEY, don't worry or be sorry. I have a DI turbo 2.3 Explorer so I try to read as much as possible about the best oil for these engines. I have two NA port injected vehicles so they can use any quality oil such as Valvoline with out a second thought. You have gone above and beyond with your plentiful C&P's of oil filters. I greatly appreciate all your great work
thumbsup2.gif
. I look for many more C&P's
grin.gif

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back