New PP 5W30 DEXOS 1 Gen 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
WM got two 5 qrt. jugs in stock , so I grabbed one ... You have to look careful for the DEXOS 1 Gen 2 lable because I almost grabbed the Euro version thinking it was Gen 2 (not !) ... Any way , in my Hyundai 2.4L DI engine I currently have M1 10W30 in it for the low NOACK , low calcium and low amount of VI's to reduce IV deposits which (at the time) was a better formulation than what PP offered with DEXOS 1 Gen 1 ... Based on the new PP DEXOS 1 Gen 2 formulation - I believe that has changed now ! I will try the M1 5W30 DEXOS 1 Gen 2 once it comes out at WM and then decide between the two which the engine and butt dyno prefer ... This next fill it will be the new PP 5W30 - **Based on the Dexos 1 Gen 2 specs it might be my new permanent oil to run 5K mile OCI's as a thin 30 weight with A1/B1 A5/B5 specs alone peeks my interest... Mobil will have to bring it's A game on their new Gen 2 formulation as there is a lot to like about what Pennzoil has done with the new DEXOS 1 Gen 2 formulation .

Last edited:
Hi Chris,
For the normally aspirated Sonata GDi 2.4L in my sig, I'm not concerned about LSPI, hence d1G2 not being a personal requirement. That being said, d1G2 definitely won't hurt. Either of the two oils you've mentioned will work admirably.

Glad to hear its finally starting to show up at Walmart, my 3 local stores have only 5/30 Euro in stock. I hope to pick up some soon before the rebate ends.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Hi Chris,
For the normally aspirated Sonata GDi 2.4L in my sig, I'm not concerned about LSPI, hence d1G2 not being a personal requirement. That being said, d1G2 definitely won't hurt. Either of the two oils you've mentioned will work admirably.

Did we discuss recently about the use of this oil in a GDI non-turbo engine as a benefit in fuel dilution? In other words will this oil hold up better in that circumstance than the previous certification?

Originally Posted By: Dan55
Glad to hear its finally starting to show up at Walmart, my 3 local stores have only 5/30 Euro in stock. I hope to pick up some soon before the rebate ends.

Isn't the 5W-30 Euro A3/B4 supposed to be a better oil than the 5W-30 ILSAC GF-5 ?

That's what Garak keeps telling me anyway.
21.gif

It is, except the Pennzoil A3/B4 5w-30 is imaginary. There's a sheet, but the the distributor cannot even order it up here, and I suspect the situation is the same in the States, hearing from Quattro Pete and others. The Euro 5w-30 Pennzoil in this context would be a C3 lubricant, which would be also perfectly acceptable for your particular usage patterns, and will be thicker than an ILSAC 5w-30, and certainly have higher HTHS than a 10w-30 ILSAC, too.

If the Pennzoil A3/B4 5w-30 was available (and available in decent sizes and pricing), I'd use it without hesitation.

Really ? My local Walmart is stacked full of PP 5W-30 Euro. They got 5-quarts bottles for $22.47 and single quart bottles for $6.47. It's the Castrol version they don't stock. If you want Castrol Euro, it's stocked only in 0W-40.

All PP 5W30 were on rollback as well so discounted in the store down to $22 something ... True , non -turbo 2.4L in my application so mainly worried about fuel dilution and IV deposits ... M1 10W30 has no DEXOS rating but I am hoping it is a decent choice for a DI engine ? ... Didn't know about the rebate - will look into that .

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Really ? My local Walmart is stacked full of PP 5W-30 Euro.

That would be the C3 Euro stuff. The A3/B4 Euro stuff doesn't exist. C3 and A3/B4 technically aren't interchangeable, though for your application or mine, they certainly would be.

Originally Posted By: Garak
That would be the C3 Euro stuff. The A3/B4 Euro stuff doesn't exist. C3 and A3/B4 technically aren't interchangeable, though for your application or mine, they certainly would be.

OK then well . . . . is the C3 Euro stuff still better than the ILSAC GF-5 ?

"Better" or not depends upon what you're really looking at. It won't be as good for long drains, except in your locale, perhaps, with your ULSG. You change oil frequently, so there's nothing wrong with a low SAPS C3 oil for you. For my G37, it meets the OEM requirements, so same deal.

If one were looking at 10,000 mile OCIs, I'd be looking at something else before a C3 oil, unless it were ULSG and the vehicle specifically called for it. But, you wouldn't go that long unless I stole your car, disconnected the odometer, and drove 9,000 miles without you watching.
wink.gif

I'm of the position that a C3 can be used in place an A3B4 (or SN, GF5 for that matter) , albeit at lower virgin TBN.
Having said this, i'm shifting my position that OCI of a C3 can be as good as an A3B4 of similar brand with Euro II or upwards gasoline.
I've no evidence in the form of UOA to support my contention though.

Last edited:
Yes, pretty much that. It's just that in North America, most people looking at an A3/B4 are doing it because of the other specifications for their VW/Audi, BMW, MB, or Porsche. So, when talking about using a C3 in place of an A3/B4, one needs to be prudent about OCIs, particularly with the marginal gas one can come across on this continent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back