TV Types & Features Explained.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew most of this but it is good information for those that would like to know...
thumbsup2.gif

LoL, y'all would laugh at my TV. Bought in 2006, it's a Hitachi 51F59. An old school rear projection unit with three CRT tubes (red, green, blue). It does 720p and 1080i. Once a year I take the back off and clean the CRT lenses, check mirror (never needs cleaned yet), put back together, re-converge (align) the tubes via a n option in the on-screen user menu, and dang thing is about good as new again. Planning to sell house next yr, will get a new current technology tv as our "house warming" gift to ourselves for the next place. But for the time being, as little tv as we watch, the old Dinosaur does just fine !! You have to admit, a television that you can take apart and tune up once in a while is a very BITOG thing !!
laugh.gif

Random internet pic as example of the venerable 51F59:

14cz3pk.jpg

Originally Posted By: jakewells
still using my old 27'' zenith it has a picture tube in it but i see i no need to replace it if it works fine.
I used to feel the same way as you but looking at the advantages won me over. The modern flat screens give a sharper picture, use less electricity and don't emit low level radiation plus they take up less room.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
LoL, y'all would laugh at my TV. Bought in 2006, it's a Hitachi 51F59. An old school rear projection unit with three CRT tubes (red, green, blue). It does 720p and 1080i. Once a year I take the back off and clean the CRT lenses, check mirror (never needs cleaned yet), put back together, re-converge (align) the tubes via a n option in the on-screen user menu, and dang thing is about good as new again. Planning to sell house next yr, will get a new current technology tv as our "house warming" gift to ourselves for the next place. But for the time being, as little tv as we watch, the old Dinosaur does just fine !! You have to admit, a television that you can take apart and tune up once in a while is a very BITOG thing !!
laugh.gif

Random internet pic as example of the venerable 51F59:

14cz3pk.jpg

My aunt had a Toshiba that was the first generation of the review projections and you needed a forklift to move the darn thing. Her cats used to like to lay on top of it because it was warm.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: cjcride
Originally Posted By: jakewells
still using my old 27'' zenith it has a picture tube in it but i see i no need to replace it if it works fine.
I used to feel the same way as you but looking at the advantages won me over. The modern flat screens give a sharper picture, use less electricity and don't emit low level radiation plus they take up less room.
The last 27" CRT Panasonic TV I had was a beast to move because there were no grips made into the case. Just a big black blob that was almost impossible to get a hold of.I really appreciate the flat screens and the ease of moving them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back