EPC code/illumination on New VW Jetta

Status
Not open for further replies.
GF called me Tuesday nite when she got to work. Said her new Jetta in signature lost almost all engine power & the EPC lite was illuminated on her dash board. I looked it up on the VW site & it gave acouple reasons for the light to come on. First was engine loss of power, second was a faulty map sensor. The VW site said to get it to a dealer ASAP to get checked out. When she took it in they said no code came up & the only thing that showed up on there reader is that she was running real low on fuel at the time?? I asked her if it was really low & she said that the fuel light just came on before the EPC came up. She checked her owners manual & it states -- "when fuel light comes on -- you have 40 miles of fuel left." Kinda fishy to me they told her no code came up when she did not make this up about the code -- im sure. Since she got it back its been running fine now the last couple days. I told her if it comes on again, that im going with to the dealer & asking for a manager or supervisor to talk with this time. Any other members here experiencing any similar code/codes on there VW products with the 1.4L Turbos?

Take it to a different dealer next time. My car has NEVER done what you have described and I have occasionally drove it completely bone dry (to where there is nothing even on the bar). It should have stored a code, I don't buy what they are putting down. Although my last Jetta did that too. Ended up being the coil. It ALWAYS stores a code.

Most likely a wiring/software fault - the last car I had with this issue got a new harness. The loss of power along with the light is telling.

There's a TSB that covers a similar issue and involves a few module software changes to rectify.

I too suggest that you try a new/different dealer.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Maybe the low fuel situation triggered the EPC light.
It shouldn't have anything to do with it. EPC is for the Electrical Power Control in the car.

My cousins 01 Jetta 2.0 would have the EPC light on and you had seconds to pull over when you had power steering and assisted brakes. It would die quickly after. I would keep trying to have them look at it and find something. It clearly noticed something is not good.

I am in agreeance with you about it had to store a code. Im just hoping it does not happen again. I will flat out tell the manager or supervisor --- do not try to [censored] a bullshitter!!!

EPC MIL should have stored a code. VW ecms store a code for every MIL and many codes that never even trigger a MIL . The loss of power is limp mode to protect engine and specifically the cat if it is missing. My two experiences with epc code, two different cars, is a failing coil.

OBDeleven is a worth it weight in gold for any VAG product owner, not inly for diagnosis but for tweaking many other functions to your liking

Last edited:
I'd personally pass on OBD Eleven. I prefer VCDS - much more functionality in that it mirrors the OE VAS tool. Costs more, of course.

It is very likely that the incident did not store a code. EPC indicates an electrical issue - these types of issues can occur in the harness or module in a way that will not set or store a code.

If it's on while you scan- 100% there will be a stored fault. If the EPC light comes on but is off when the vehicle is scanned, it's about 50/50.

I paid ~$60 for OBD11 - worth it for sure.
I hope I don't have to dig into repair/diagnosis so deep that I need a $350-500+ (used to new) for VCDS setup.

If it happens again tell her to pull over, turn the car off, and have it towed to the dealer so the code should still be stored. In the owner's manual booklet is a towing guide, there's free towing while under warranty.

Different engine, but my Fiancees Jetta with the 1.8T has been ran to "zero miles left to empty" and then 10 miles past that, with no issues. Let us know how this ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back