Napa Gold Cut open, W I D E pleat spacing

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a Napa Gold filter off a early 90s honda and I know it had less than 1k miles on the OCI. They time was over a year, but i dont know how long. Then the filter got stored outside in a tote that got moisture and dirt in it. The filter never got submerged though. The moisture in the oil is from this, as is a bit of dirt im sure.

The pleat spacing is very inconsistent, and the ADBV is torn. I dont know is something happened to tear the ADBV since the filter just came into my possession, but somehow it did tear.

The pleat spacing is my main concern, I noted no tears, but this was a very low OCI filter.

This filter was Henco En Mexico. I am not sure how many plants they have. This was also installed by a napa autocare center, not that it necessarily matters.

Last edited:
It looks like WIX took lessons from Purolator. Not good.
frown.gif

Last edited:
Wide pleats at the seam 1st place award. Media is strong if it didn't fail with that pleat spacing.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
Is that the same filter in the first pic and following pics? Man that's a little scary.

Yes it is. Its either the pleat spacing is really non uniform or they ran short on material.

Its hard to believe its the same filter.

This picture illustrates it a little better.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
What kind of car did this come off of and what was the oil in use?

It was a Honda crx with under 100k original miles, as far as the oil I dont know. I assume it was 5w30 bulk oil. The oil residue on the filter looks like there was moisture uin the oil from storing the used filter outside in a tote that got water in it.

The filter was stored for a while after it was removed from service.

I know. The only thing is the filter had less than 1k miles on it with very few cold starts. The oil was changed based on time, not miles.

If that was in service over a brutal winter for 7500 miles or so I bet it would have tore.

Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
What kind of car did this come off of and what was the oil in use?

It was a Honda crx with under 100k original miles, as far as the oil I dont know. I assume it was 5w30 bulk oil. The oil residue on the filter looks like there was moisture uin the oil from storing the used filter outside in a tote that got water in it.

The filter was stored for a while after it was removed from service.

My guess it was 5w-30 dino and it gathered some moisture that froze in the filter media.

I cut a new NAPA Gold oil filter and don't think Wix is making as good of a product as the used to.Looks like it was made of the cheap. Not near as good of construction as the Denso oil filters I use.

WIX is owned now by Mann & Hummell (the owners of Purolator),so its not surprising to see quality suffer.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
WIX is owned now by Mann & Hummell (the owners of Purolator),so its not surprising to see quality suffer.

Fewer owners never a good sign for consumers. Quality goes down and prices go up.

I'm still running Wix air filters and I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER WIX. Fram ULTRA has won me over. Champ Labs still good considering bankruptcy?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back