Bad fuel filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the misses started working decided it was time to go over the Focus.. was wanting to let that pain in the hindquarters go without anything. The fuel and air filters got changed at the same time 3 years ago and less than 30k. I don't recall ever hearing a gas filter rattle.. the filter media is definitely a free bird in there. It was replaced with a Wix. What I can't recall is where it's from. Has the typical 33595 number but has a CA of CF in front? That doesn't match any part numbers I can find. I'm going to look it over again but it's so rusty can't get much off of it. And where it's at there's no way it could of got hit without taking out a few fuel lines and the tank.

We've had some issue's with warm starts for a long time and makes me wonder if this could be the cause. This just serves as a reminder why I maintain our vehicles.

Are fuel filter changes really necessary anymore? All pumped fuel is filtered and systems sealed. Unless you are filling from gas can I don't see the point. 2 of my vehicles don't even have serviceable filters.

Originally Posted By: 2strokeNorthstar
Are fuel filter changes really necessary anymore? All pumped fuel is filtered and systems sealed. Unless you are filling from gas can I don't see the point. 2 of my vehicles don't even have serviceable filters.

Yes, fuel filters are needed. Ever start pumping fuel and it only pumps about 1 gal a minute? Gas pump filter plugged up.

Happens all the time at the diesel pumps. Especially at Wal-Mart because they don't care even if you tell them.

For older cars with steel gas tanks, I had a filter plug up with rust from the tank!

On newer cars you wanna keep grit from the gas station from plugging injectors.

Since filters have a 'beta ratio' as to filtering, it's always possible for something
to get by one filter in the gas station pump, so you need one in the car / truck!

My fuel injectors have little screens in them
that you can see when the fuel rail comes off.....

...it is AMAZING what can get past the filter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back