Bosch Creates iDisc Brake Rotors to reduce dust???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's a combination of both because they are both rubbing together but I would agree the pads would be responsible for more of it because they get sacrificed far more.

Further with as little that comes off the rotors already a 90% decrease could be very little because it was little to begin with and at 3x the price of conventional rotors these "feel good" rotors will most likely be reserved for higher end vehicles which does little for the environment considering how many regular vehicles are running around.

Agreed. Article says the first user might be Porsche, most likely the Panamera or something which doesn't see much mileage anyway.

I assume that the disc's surface coating reduces the dust created when the pad rubs on it - in other words, better friction for less pad wear. So it is reducing brake dust from the pads.

Hope it is a large improvement over their blue line.

Put the bosch rotors and blue pads on my wife's scion and they have been super dirty and dusty.

OEM Hyundai and OEM Toyota pads make almost no dust.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Hope it is a large improvement over their blue line.

Put the bosch rotors and blue pads on my wife's scion and they have been super dirty and dusty.

OEM Hyundai and OEM Toyota pads make almost no dust.

I agree, most of the aftermarket pads I got all dusted up more them OEM, but I hate OEM pricing! lol

One salient fact this article fails to mention is that these discs require special matching pads comparable in cost to those for carbon brake systems.

And yes, the launch customer is Porsche, with the new Cayenne.

The Jalopnik piece also goes into more detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back