MC FL-500S vs BOSS 22500

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a NA ford with a 3.5 duratec with dual VVT. I am planing to use Castrol Edge Extended Performance (gold bottle) 5w-20.

Are the BOSS filters better at filtration and quality than the FL500S? Its around $12 compared to $8 for the motorcraft.

I would run the MC filter. That and you can get them cheaper than $8. Showing $6 at amazon with free shipping.

FL500S is like 5.97 @ wal mart.

A Fram XG is like 8.97 and I’d use it before a boss @ 12.00.

But to answer your question, based on the Amsoil OEM filter test and PUROS specs for the boss, the boss very likely filters more efficiently. As for quality there have not been a lot of boss filters dissected yet, but the one’s I’ve seen so far are nice as long as your particular application is one that allows the ADBV to contact the tapping plate and get cut.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
But to answer your question, based on the Amsoil OEM filter test and PUROS specs for the boss, the boss very likely filters more efficiently.

Per the "Purolator Response Office", the Boss is 99% @ 40 microns (not 20u), so not very efficient - LINK .

The Pure One (blue can) is more the same level as the 500s. Paper/ synthetic blended media, silicone ADBV.

The boss is wire backed synthetic.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
But to answer your question, based on the Amsoil OEM filter test and PUROS specs for the boss, the boss very likely filters more efficiently.

Per the "Purolator Response Office", the Boss is 99% @ 40 microns (not 20u), so not very efficient - LINK .

Interesting I wonder if that is for all filter part numbers as I seem to recall that certain part numbers were rated at 40 even back in the yellow can days. The amsoil test rates an 820S at 93.7% @20 so not the same part number we are talking about here.

So is 99%@40 better or worse than 93.7%@20 and is the efficiency of an FL500S the same as an FL820S and has said efficiency remained unchanged since 2/2011 and additionally was the FL820S tested by Amsoil representative of all FL820S? Lotta questions there.

Side note, I think omitting the micron ratings (particularly when they are different) on the website is shady.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

The boss is wire backed synthetic.

It is a plastic mesh. (Puro calls it “Polymer Mesh”)

What’s the difference?

Their cutout photo says "Synthetic."

http://www.pureoil.com/fileadmin/user_up...wayZoom-rev.jpg

What is the difference in what? Polymer and Plastic? Probably nothing practically speaking, but:

http://www.differencebetween.info/difference-between-plastic-and-polymer

About :28 in it talks about “SmartFUSION”.

What's the difference between synthetic and plastic/ polymer mesh?

Happy Thanksgiving oil filter discussers, Anyone who has gone fishing knows synthetic line is strong. Strong enough. I have come to the conclusion they are all shady about the efficiency % except Champ who uses the 98.7% efficiency point, the statistical limit of the test. The problem is if they put 98.7% and the competitor has 99.9% on their box, people will tend to buy the 99% even though it means nothing. So they keep increasing the miles allowed and the % to compete. They all should have the efficiency 98.67% @ X microns. IMO and now the turkey day begins here.

What's the difference between synthetic and plastic/ polymer mesh?

I’m really not sure I understand what you are getting at.

You originally said it was metal mesh and it isn’t (The old Purolator Synthetic filter PSL part numbers were metal mesh)

I said it was Plastic and Puro calls it Polymer

You asked what the difference is and I answered with:

What is the difference in what? Polymer and Plastic? Probably nothing practically speaking, but:

http://www.differencebetween.info/difference-between-plastic-and-polymer

(Cliff notes, plastic is polymer, but polymer may not be plastic)

Now you are adding “Synthetic” to the discussion.

Same cliff notes answer I think..

So what exactly are you trying to get at here?

Happy Thanksgiving BITOG members.
I would use a FRAM ULTRA before using either one of the 2 aforementioned filters.

2ln7yp.jpg

What's the difference?

Think all Purolator is saying is the backing mess is also synthetic (not metal). They call it "SmartFusion" where the synthetic media is fused to the mesh backing material.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I have come to the conclusion they are all shady about the efficiency % except Champ who uses the 98.7% efficiency point, the statistical limit of the test.

From the Fram paper that was published in 2003 you get this idea from.

"End-users should also be wary of numbers games – they can also be played
with B ratios. B ratios higher than 75 indicate little additional improvement in
filtering efficiency. Furthermore, the test procedure to develop the B ratio is valid only for B value up to 75. For B ratios of 75 and higher, there are not
enough particles in downstream liquid samples to make counting them
statistically significant."

The accuracy of the test depends on the test methods and equipment. The test methods and equipment has improved since 2003, so accurately measuring a beta ratio better than 75 is most likely possible today. Feetgaurd and others who make very high efficiency filters routinely show filters with beta ratios measured well above 75.

The wire backing not being metal is new to me.

What's the difference?

Think all Purolator is saying is the backing mess is also synthetic (not metal). They call it “SmartFusion" where the synthetic media is fused to the mesh backing material.

Yes, take a look at the video I linked earlier and they say that.

PBL14610slotsBOSS17.jpg

Cut Open Puro PBL14610 - Virgin (GREY, Slotted)

as opposed to a wire backed PSL

PSL14610p2.jpg

Cut Open Purolator Synthetic PSL14610 - 5,729 mi

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I have come to the conclusion they are all shady about the efficiency % except Champ who uses the 98.7% efficiency point, the statistical limit of the test.

From the Fram paper that was published in 2003 you get this idea from.

"End-users should also be wary of numbers games – they can also be played
with B ratios. B ratios higher than 75 indicate little additional improvement in
filtering efficiency. Furthermore, the test procedure to develop the B ratio is valid only for B value up to 75. For B ratios of 75 and higher, there are not
enough particles in downstream liquid samples to make counting them
statistically significant."

The accuracy of the test depends on the test methods and equipment. The test methods and equipment has improved since 2003, so accurately measuring a beta ratio better than 75 is most likely possible today. Feetgaurd and others who make very high efficiency filters routinely show filters with beta ratios measured well above 75.

The Fram bulletin says 98.67% is the limit due to statistical limit, not test equipment limit. This is still valid. So if all cos. would put the micron value at 98.67% the confusion would lessen. Fram maybe is 18 microns, Boss may be 22 and so on. The way the are doing it now is so their box is the one people buy. People will buy 99 over 98.7. Some probably round 98.7 to 99 to put on the boxes.
The one that is old, unverified, and wrongly used is the Amsoil chart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back