Grass Fed Ground Beef Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone cooking up this stuff on a reg basis? Grocery stocks three diff brands. Strauss, Laura's, and Full Circle. I've not noticed this in summer due to grilling it outside but lately since I've been browning it up in a pan more for various recipes, sometimes it makes my kitchen smell like a fecking cattle truck. Not always. Worst offender seems to be the Strauss brand, but only lately. Few weeks ago used Full Circle and practically no smell at all. Not sure what the diff is that causes it. Tonight a batch of the Strauss did it again and even very slight livestock-like taste coming through the spaghetti sauce. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
........... sometimes it makes my kitchen smell like a fecking cattle truck. Not always. Not sure what the diff is that causes it.

I have never experienced this, and I have been eating it all my life.

Sounds like you need to find a good source and stick with it .... and avoid others.

Seems like the meat is getting contaminated with cow poop. Maybe it’s being poorly slaughtered or processed.

Is it PURE grass fed beef? Because I seem to recall that typical cattle industry practice is to always fatten them up on grains shortly before slaughter as this makes more money.

So if your goal is to eat cattle that only ate grass in its lifetime.. make sure you trust the brand or the seller.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Is it PURE grass fed beef? Because I seem to recall that typical cattle industry practice is to always fatten them up on grains shortly before slaughter as this makes more money.

So if your goal is to eat cattle that only ate grass in its lifetime.. make sure you trust the brand or the seller.

When i was a kid, we raised beef for our own use. We would feed them heavy with ground corn (with molasses) , several weeks before slaughter. I think it made better marbled meat. No one around us grinds corn anymore.

Last edited:
Buy from a butcher or a local farmer.

Grocery store meat is not very good. Beef from a good butcher is much better. Even the ground beef.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I want Tall Fescue fed ground beef. None of that Kentucky 31 stuff.

Kentucky 31 is tall fescue. We also had orchard grass as well.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Wish I could find it at all up here. Been waiting years for it.

You wouldn't have to drive to far out in the country to get it, do a little googling and you'll find a farmer that sells what he raises. It won't be real cheap but if you buy some volume it won't be too bad and makes the drive worth it.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Wish I could find it at all up here. Been waiting years for it.

Unless you are seeking it for health reasons (OMEGAs, etc), don't get your hopes up about eating it. It tastes comparably worse as there isn't enough fat and fat is flavor.

I remember someone telling me about their neighbors pumping their cattle full of steroids? Those cows went to market a lot sooner than this guys cows.That is one advantage of owning animals and knowing what they are fed.How much of organic stuff is anything but that.

This is where I don't try to contain my caustic skepticism.

You want "special" ground beef? I'll give you a "special ground beef label" and charge you more.

Reminds me of "Zamba-zamba" grass and all the other exotics the pot smokers insisted upon years ago.

Had a "grass fed" steak in Cortez, Colo. a few years back and I gotta say...it was nowhere in both flavor and texture.

Husbandmen I know feed apple squeezings (from cider production) to pigs to sweeten the meat. I'd love to try other steaks from cows fed other things.

As I get older, the idea of saying good-bye to red meat seems more attractive.

Beef does not taste like I remember. In HS, I worked as a meat cutter (not the same as a butcher) in an independent firm that used local beef. I'd just cut sections of beef for various vacuum packaging and rapid freezing. Then load the -50 to -60 freezer with the beef.

In any case it was good quality beef and I enjoyed eating it.

Today, none of the locally available beef tastes right to me. Of course, if I go overseas to a 3rd world country it's like I remember. I tend to avoid beef and beef products, as I don't care for it anymore. Quite simply, it tastes weird.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Beef does not taste like I remember. In HS, I worked as a meat cutter (not the same as a butcher) in an independent firm that used local beef. I'd just cut sections of beef for various vacuum packaging and rapid freezing. Then load the -50 to -60 freezer with the beef.

In any case it was good quality beef and I enjoyed eating it.

Today, none of the locally available beef tastes right to me. Of course, if I go overseas to a 3rd world country it's like I remember. I tend to avoid beef and beef products, as I don't care for it anymore. Quite simply, it tastes weird.

There's more people now.. more mouths to feed.. but we dont have any more land than before so those farmers have to make those cows grow quicker and send them to market. No different than pine wood versus something like oak. If it grows fast then there's just not enough time for things to concentrate and get built up.

And I'm sure the marketing firms found that the "average US consumer" doesn't like beef that tastes even remotely gamey. Chicken is another case where we are literally just eating textured animal protein.. no flavor.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Beef does not taste like I remember. Today, none of the locally available beef tastes right to me. Quite simply, it tastes weird.

NOTHING tastes the same as when we were kids!

Everything is bland and has no flavor anymore.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45

There's more people now.. more mouths to feed.. but we dont have any more land than before so those farmers have to make those cows grow quicker and send them to market. No different than pine wood... If it grows fast then there's just not enough time for things to concentrate and get built up........ no flavor.

Sadly, it is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back