First oil change on '16 Camry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one ramp made from 2x8s screwed together. For the other side, I laid down a stray 528e wheel with tire and made a ramp out of a 54" piece of 2x6 and various thickness up to 6x6 to support it every foot or so. Not pretty, But close by. Worked fine for the job. Then I unrolled a 6x3' carpet strip and found the filter housing. My special oil socket worked. I'm glad I had gloves on. My bad, I should have read the directions that came with the filter. My only defense is that it was the first time I ever had a filter that came with directions. First time I have used 0w20. For a panicked second, I thought I was draining the transmission. The stuff is thin. The filter hosing comes with a drain plug. It was stuck fast and I had the housing in my hand. I have enough scrap around to screw together a matching ramp. I used STP 0w20 synthetic from A zone. The car sees a little short tripping combined with at least one run of 25 miles of mixed driving. The car seems to be set to a 5K OCI. I'm going for at least 7500. Next is going to be a drain and fill of the transmission. 6 speeds and no dipstick.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You got two 2016 Camry's ?

Well, have you seen the 17 Camry? It blends in too much, imo. No clue how it drives but it could be mind numbing. Maybe they will discount them right away?

Please buy some ramps.

I’m curious, why the affection for STP? Just curious. That’s all.

Do a lot of YouTubeing before you start with the transmission fluid. I’d definitely change it but it may be a little more complicated than changing the oil. I went and bought and scan gauge ii due to my initial mess up changing the atf in the “Toyota’s” under my care. I drained them hot and measured what I took out not realizing how much ATF expands at operating temp. Consequently, I put back more than I removed. I know, it’s hard to wrap your mind around. If you drain them while overnight cold, you should be able to measure how much you took out and put that same amount back in.of course, this assumes they were properly filled from the factory.

Originally Posted By: HondaBroMike
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You got two 2016 Camry's ?

Well, have you seen the 17 Camry? It blends in too much, imo. No clue how it drives but it could be mind numbing. Maybe they will discount them right away?
2016 and 2017 is the same

Originally Posted By: andyd
The car seems to be set to a 5K OCI. I'm going for at least 7500. Next is going to be a drain and fill of the transmission. 6 speeds and no dipstick.

Oil changes are every 10k miles. The MR light does go off every 5k for tire rotations and fluid level checks. So sometimes an oil change is needed and other times it's not needed.

Forget to mention, around here the first two oil changes and tire rotations are free for 2 years/25k miles. The dealer here uses TGMO 0w20 and an oem filter.

Don't do 10k oil changes. I was doing them on my 2011 Sequoia and 2014 Tundra. Sequoia has 100k on it. Went to change plugs and 3 tube seals are leaking. It also uses 1qt per 5k miles. I am gonna fix the tube seals and have been doing 5k oci

Also- nearly every car is operating on the severe schedule. Most folks don't want to admit it.

The lack of transmission dipstick is no loss at all, since Honda is the only one who seems to know how to make an accurate one.

But for an OCI over 7500, use M1/Edge/PP 0w20 and a Mahle oil filter
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back