1998 Bayou 220 wont stay running

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys, just got a new coil, and now it will start and run for about 5 mins and die, buddy of mine said its now either cdi box or the stator, what do you guys think ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kenwin30
hey guys, just got a new coil, and now it will start and run for about 5 mins and die, buddy of mine said its now either cdi box or the stator, what do you guys think ?

Too little info.

It could be fuel related.

It sounds fuel related. Most electrical parts work or they do not. Does it have fuses or breaker circuts? Still I doubt it's electrical. Coils sometimes fail when they warm up but you changed that.
What does the spark look like?
If it's nice and blue your stator and trigger is good.

20 years old..

My guess is that its ethanol related in the carb.

I have 'fixed' a few sputtering and non-running ope with B12 Chemtool Carb cleaner..all had nasty ethanol boogers in the carbs.

First thing is to check spark when it won't run. If that is OK, very likely fuel related. You can verify with a hit of starting fluid, if it fires that, it isn't getting fuel. Check that you get a good flow of clean fuel from the tank through the carb inlet hose with it disconnected from the carb.

Engines with adjustable valves can idle poorly or not at all if the valves are too tight, and they get tighter when warmed up. I don't know if that is the case with that engine.

Many motorcycles and ATV's have a vacuum operated fuel shut off valve. And a fuel filter in the valve. You might want to ensure proper fuel flow as a first thing. Could be the carb fills up slowly, runs itself empty and fills up again slowly.

Drain the gas and pour into one of the vehicles. Put fresh Gas into it along with some Techron, Gumout or B12 etc and run it.

Last edited:
i'd bypass the existing fuel system and hook up a line to the carburetor from an alternative fuel supply.

I usually use a squeeze bottle with gasoline in it and four or five feet of fuel line. I suspend it higher than the carb to ensure gravity flow. Fire up the engine and see how long it will run using secondary fuel supply. I it keeps running, the problem may be the vacuum powered fuel pump if it has one.

If it has gravity flow fuel supply, check the entire system for debris. Pull the line off the carb and see how much fuel comes out of the line. If not a good, solid flow, there could be blockage in the tank?

If spark and fuel are both good, I'd look at valve adjustment, and potential air intake, exhaust restriction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back