Techron vs B12 For a Motorcycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
My recently acquired carbed motorcycle sat for 1-1.5 or so years before I acquired, no rust in tank. So far, I have used techron and a small dose of Stabil(red One) and on my 3rd(or maybe 4th) refill of gas tank.

So far, it's starting on 1st try, no other running or performance issues. Would hate to pull carbs, hence trying to ensure I take care of any future issues now.

Have B12 laying around, but have read it can destroy rubber seals or rubber components, so maybe not a good idea for motorcycles? Is it a myth?

Should I continue to use small doses of techron or switch between techron or B12 for each gas tank for 2-3 more gas tanks, before I put her to sleep for winter?

Any other advice or suggestions? Thanks very much
thumbsup2.gif

P.S: Have used Seafoam in the past, but that thing is expensive and I don't have any on hand, so rather avoid it
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs

Have B12 laying around, but have read it can destroy rubber seals or rubber components, so maybe not a good idea for motorcycles? Is it a myth?

Myth.

B-12 hasn't ever caused me any issues in the 20 or so motorcycles I have run it in.

What are you doing this for? The bike already runs fine, correct?

So far, it's starting on 1st try, no other running or performance issues. Would hate to pull carbs, hence trying to ensure I take care of any future issues now.

Just leave it alone and keep it filled all the time with the best gas you can buy.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Myth.

B-12 hasn't ever caused me any issues in the 20 or so motorcycles I have run it in.

What are you doing this for? The bike already runs fine, correct?

Thanks, yeah bike runs fine. I mean, I am not a maniac rider so haven't noticed any issues.

Just leave it alone and keep it filled all the time with the best gas you can buy.

I usually fill up from Costco or Sheetz, both are good ones IMO.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
You can't just tell us you got a bike and not tell us what bike it is. Got pics?

That's funny, it's a 2000 Yamaha R1.

SWEET!!

When was the last year for carbs on the R1?

SWEET!!

When was the last year for carbs on the R1?

2001 and from 2002 they were switched to FI.

I have a 4 carb Concours, The carb guru on the COG forum recommends TCW3 2cycle oil at an ounce or two per tank for storage and infrequent use as well as keep the tank full. Seems like most who are using it are having less frequent jet clogging and easier starting. The TCW3 coats the internals after the gas evaporates or some theory like that. I swapped in a set of carbs from a parts bike after cleaning them carefully with some B12(not on the diaphrams) and have been putting in a bit of the TCW3 and I think it really helps. Bike ran great on a 2000 mile trip in August.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
I like the Stabil 360 Marine and a dose of TCW3 for all my toys and equipment that sees ethanol gas.

I do the same. Lately Ive been adding a small dose of Seafoam as well, since I have it in the garage and need to use it up.

maverickfhs said:
Yes, any TC-W3 (aka TC-WIII) - I use 1 oz per gallon. 4 gallons gets 4 ounces.

There are 128 ounces per gallon, so that is 128:1 ratio, pretty high amount of oil in my opinion. Shouldn't you aim for a 200:1 or 300:1 ratio?

I use about 2 ounces per 5 gallons of TCW-3 in all my carbed equipment, mower, pressure washer, boat, motorcycle, etc. and since doing that I have not had a single starting issue nor any carb issues, even after full winter or summer (snowblower) storage.

Originally Posted By: DriveHard
I use about 2 ounces per 5 gallons of TCW-3 in all my carbed equipment, mower, pressure washer, boat, motorcycle, etc. and since doing that I have not had a single starting issue nor any carb issues, even after full winter or summer (snowblower) storage.

Thanks, so you have never used Stabil or anything of that sort?

Originally Posted By: DriveHard

Thanks, so you have never used Stabil or anything of that sort?

nope, not anymore. I used to, but since I switched to TCW-3 I have never looked back. Boat, bikes, snowblower, all start right up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back