High oil consumption with 60k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2004 Cadillac STS with about 60k miles. It sets in the garage in Arizona all summer and then gets driven in the winter. We're snow birds. The oil gets changed yearly with Mobil One and I use WIX filters.

I took it on a big road trip and found that it was using about a quart of 30w5 mobil one every thousand miles. The cars never been abused and I've never run it low on oil. It doesn't smoke at idle or at start. It runs great.

I'm going to pull the plugs and see if I have one oily plug and 5 clean ones, but not today.

Any ideas as to improving on oil consumption?

Switch oil brands. There have been reports of people who've had oil consumption issues using Mobil1. They claim the oil consumption stopped or greatly reduced when they switched to something else. NOACK has nothing to do with it.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Switch oil brands. There have been reports of people who've had oil consumption issues using Mobil1. They claim the oil consumption stopped or greatly reduced when they switched to something else. NOACK has nothing to do with it.

Yep-and the Earth is flat. Many claims made on here that are outlandish.

I had the same issue with my STS. Mine was a 95 model, but I was told the Northstar engines use oil. I hated having to put a qt of oil in the trunk and having to top off every thousand miles when on a road trip. I used Mobil1 as well. Mine never smoked either but I couldn’t get past the oil usage problem. I sold it in 2000.

Last edited:
It's probably the low friction rings.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
It's probably the low friction rings.
Your theory as to exactly how they cause oil-guzzling?

There are a lot of low friction ring problems. Not all vehicles with low friction rings have oil consumption but some do. I suspect this is the case if the PCV valve isn't the cause because GM has had issues with lower friction rings on some engines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Try M1 HM 10w-30. It's a very thick 30 and should help slow consumption of it is the rings.

Exactly what I was going to suggest. It is worth a try.

There are a lot of low friction ring problems. Not all vehicles with low friction rings have oil consumption but some do. I suspect this is the case if the PCV valve isn't the cause because GM has had issues with lower friction rings on some engines.

Some of the earlier Northstars had ring issues, GM redesigned the ring pack in 2003.

But, It wouldn't be a bad idea to soak the pistons with some cleaner while the spark plugs are out.
-Get the engine up to operating temp.
-Remove all 8 plugs.
-Rotate the engine to where no piston is at TDC.
-Buy 2 bottles of Piston and Ring Cleaner, P/N 12378549.
-Distribute 1 bottle to the right bank & one to the left bank.
-Let the cleaner sit in the cylinders for at least 2 hours, But NO MORE than 3 hours.
-Place some heavy towels over the left & right spark plug holes, Turn the engine over several times with the starter to evacuate the cleaner from the cylinders. (The COILS should be on your work bench during this, You do not want any spark!!)
-Reinstall the plugs & coils.

Warm up the engine thoroughly......And RUN THE [censored] OUT OF IT!!!! I mean REALLY BEAT on it!!!! It will not break, This engine loves to be ran hard.

Originally Posted By: dcmeigs

Try a different oil. You're new so you probably don't know about all the complaints that M1 5W-30 gets.

The only solution and it may not last forever. Some Northstars needed this every few years depending how they are driven. The motors were really mismatched to the car. The motor liked to be driven hard and put into a car where drivers drive more relaxed. I had a Northstar Deville for many years and it drank oil. Ask Cadillac mechanics that have been around a while. They all have stories about these motors. Big money makers for mechanics.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger

Some of the earlier Northstars had ring issues, GM redesigned the ring pack in 2003.

But, It wouldn't be a bad idea to soak the pistons with some cleaner while the spark plugs are out.
-Get the engine up to operating temp.
-Remove all 8 plugs.
-Rotate the engine to where no piston is at TDC.
-Buy 2 bottles of Piston and Ring Cleaner, P/N 12378549.
-Distribute 1 bottle to the right bank & one to the left bank.
-Let the cleaner sit in the cylinders for at least 2 hours, But NO MORE than 3 hours.
-Place some heavy towels over the left & right spark plug holes, Turn the engine over several times with the starter to evacuate the cleaner from the cylinders. (The COILS should be on your work bench during this, You do not want any spark!!)
-Reinstall the plugs & coils.

Warm up the engine thoroughly......And RUN THE [censored] OUT OF IT!!!! I mean REALLY BEAT on it!!!! It will not break, This engine loves to be ran hard.

Last edited:
The advice above about cleaning the engine with some liquid poured in through the spark plugs holes may be a good idea but let the engine cool first. You don't want to crack a piston.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
The advice above about cleaning the engine with some liquid poured in through the spark plugs holes may be a good idea but let the engine cool first. You don't want to crack a piston.

The procedure works best with warm pistons & rings....There is no danger of cracking a piston!

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: dcmeigs

Try a different oil. You're new so you probably don't know about all the complaints that M1 5W-30 gets.

Your 16,779 posts of complete misinformation notwithstanding...

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Your 16,779 posts of complete misinformation notwithstanding...

You see, that's why I keep this link over at the Test Forum in case somebody doesn't believe me.

Mobil 1 Noise at BITOG

I'm pretty sure nobody believes you. But Happy Thanksgiving anyways...
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back