Fumoto Valve Interanls

Status
Not open for further replies.
installed one on my ML320, a beautifully engineered piece, the qualiy of the casting and precision of the threads was second to none

Last edited:
The one on my Santa Fe was 12 years old and still operated like it was brand new after 300K miles and I took it off and still have it for the next vehicle that it fits. Bought a new one for the Journey. Put one on my dad's and FIL's Caravans.

They really make oil changes and oil sampling easy.

grin2.gif

Every truck I own gets this on the first oil change. Never had a failure or accidental open. I buy the ones with the nipple now so if we feel the need to hook a hose on we can.

Originally Posted By: PiperOne
Every truck I own gets this on the first oil change. Never had a failure or accidental open. I buy the ones with the nipple now so if we feel the need to hook a hose on we can.

I get the nipple ones because of the hose option. Works great for slightly windy days to keep the oil in the catch pan.

Donald I have the same thing... Subaru valve is nice and protected by the belly pan and high location anyways; the Ford hangs right off the bottom of the pan and would be bad juju.

I'm thinking of getting one for the Fusion with the nipple since they leave a nice 4" hole in the belly pan for drainage. I don't have a lock on the Subaru valve and haven't needed it.

P.S.- Stevie- I heard early users of Alli wished they had a double seal to prevent leakage
smirk.gif

I can't think of any failures with these. I recall a somewhat recent thread titled as such, but it was user related IIRC.

Regardless, I am still too chicken to use one. 4x4 truck heck no, but perhaps a car with a splash pan.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo

P.S.- Stevie- I heard early users of Alli wished they had a double seal to prevent leakage
smirk.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I can't think of any failures with these. I recall a somewhat recent thread titled as such, but it was user related IIRC.

Regardless, I am still too chicken to use one. 4x4 truck heck no, but perhaps a car with a splash pan.

The one on my Santa Fe was on there for 300K Miles (535,000km) and was opened/closed multiple times. It was also exposed to lots of terrible winter weather and would be frequently full of ice/snow in the winter as encountered during oil change time and it had 0 issues.

I followed the directions on all the vehicles I installed this on and used the included washer. I put them on by hand and then give it 1.5-2 turns with a wrench to tighten down to the position where I want the valve to sit and they never come loose.

I have had far more oil plugs leaking with their crush/sealing washers than these over the years just FWIW.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC

The one on my Santa Fe was on there for 300K Miles (535,000km) and was opened/closed multiple times. It was also exposed to lots of terrible winter weather and would be frequently full of ice/snow in the winter as encountered during oil change time and it had 0 issues.

I followed the directions on all the vehicles I installed this on and used the included washer. I put them on by hand and then give it 1.5-2 turns with a wrench to tighten down to the position where I want the valve to sit and they never come loose.

I have had far more oil plugs leaking with their crush/sealing washers than these over the years just FWIW.
grin2.gif

I'll counter your offer by saying I've had zero issues with traditional drain plugs, but I can see how one could have issues if they don't stay on top of crush washer replacements.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: PiperOne

I get the nipple ones because of the hose option. Works great for slightly windy days to keep the oil in the catch pan.

I love these things, used them for many years with excellent results! I had them on all three cars of mine recently (now down to two, both with these valves)!

I love them, too. It's quite handy for the G37. It was very handy for the Audi 200 as well. With that car, everything was right behind the bumper, would barely have to get underneath, flip a valve and spin the filter off and it was over. I'm messy, so a Fumoto is fairly essential.
wink.gif

I'll counter your offer by saying I've had zero issues with traditional drain plugs, but I can see how one could have issues if they don't stay on top of crush washer replacements.
I've had zero issues (i.e., leaks or loosening) with traditional drain plugs and have never replaced a washer. (Bought spares for the Toyota, just in case, though... ) They last if not abused.

Originally Posted By: CR94

I've had zero issues (i.e., leaks or loosening) with traditional drain plugs and have never replaced a washer. (Bought spares for the Toyota, just in case, though... ) They last if not abused.

On the other hand, I've had all kinds of issues with the factory drain plug on my used cars I've bought over the years. Most of this required my to replace the drain bolt and use a blue reusable washer. Works fine after that. The Fumoto valves are just so dang convenient and useful that I've switched all to them with great results. No fuss, no muss.

Only thing preventing me from pulling the trigger is that they don't completely drain the oil since the threaded portion juts out a bit inside the pan.

When I drain I manage to get out what the refill capacity is in the manual. The Amsoil jugs have measurements beside a translucent part of the bottle which gives you indication on the gallon jugs so I know how much comes out when I refill empty gallons with dirty oil.

Plus I would doubt it sticks into the pan all that much when you look at the threads on the pan, the threads of the Fumoto valve and the washer they give you to snug it down onto.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back