F150 looking for a good highway tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
My F150 has over 60k on the OEM Hankook and I am noticing some performance loss especially in the rain. I have a 4wd but do 98% paved driving and my offload is campground style roads.
I tow a bunch so I am looking at XL rated tires. No snow but lots of rain where I live so wet performance is needed.

Just looking for opinions of people that are in a similar situation. So far I think the Nitto tera or cooper might be good. No experience with either.
Michelin is out because the defender is SL rated and I really want an xl rated tire. Thanks

Just fyi here is what my Hankook look like after 61K of hard work.

I still really like the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2s. If the Revo ones were still around, they'd be even better. Are you looking for off-road ability, or just highway use?

What's the size? The LTX is a good tire, is the previous M/S2 available in the XL rating you are looking for? You could also go with an LT version, no?

What tire size do you need?
smile.gif

Bridgestone Dueler at Costco. Great service, free rotations and balances for the life, road hazard replace at any Costco
smile.gif

If not Costco, then Toyo from TireRack.com Toyo's are great tires
smile.gif

Last edited:
My preference is towards the Michelin’s but if you require the XL rating on the 275/55R20 which I think you may be referring to Cooper, General, and Yokohama come to mind.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Bridgestone Dueler at Costco. Great service, free rotations and balances for the life, road hazard replace at any Costco
smile.gif

If not Costco, then Toyo from TireRack.com Toyo's are great tires
smile.gif

Yes-and at many stores this can take hours. Not sure what definition you use for "great service".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
What's the size? The LTX is a good tire, is the previous M/S2 available in the XL rating you are looking for? You could also go with an LT version, no?

An LT tire is overkill for his truck-according to his needs. It's a high price to pay for a Michelin tire. An "XL" rated tire will suffice-even if he tows within his truck specs.

Yokohama
Geolandar A/T G015

MILD all terrain tire

Right now 135$ in rebates at DT/DTD.

There are a couple Cooper tires in there that are XL rated but nothing nearly as good as those yokohama G015.

Originally Posted By: BeerCan

Just fyi here is what my Hankook look like after 61K of hard work.

Those look OUTSTANDING!!

I envy you!!

Second for the Yokohama Geolandars. If you are in FL, they are great bang for the buck (i.e. they are not a great snow tire).

Last edited:
I've had 4 sets of Nitto Terras and they are an awesome road tire that does great off road too. Would highly recommend.

Get yourself some Vogue Signature V SCT tires... They’re blackwalls
wink.gif
They’re $170 a piece minus $175 back in mail in rebates at DTD minus an extra $60 if you use their credit card. 60,000mile tire, XL rated. My wife has the car version on her Lexus and likes them. Hers were about $320 out the door after rebates.

Wow thanks for all the replies. I guess I should have put the tire size I needed, some of you guessed (correctly) 275/55 r20

To clarify I am looking for a highway tire first, AT second in XL rating, lots of rain and no snow. LT would be overkill for me at this point as I tow within spec, but at the tippy top
smile.gif

Nitto, Toyo and Yokohama are now on my list.

I looked at the Vouge, they seem like a good tire but I really can't find a super amount of info. Specifically people using them as a pick up truck tire. Lot's of Cadillac users it seems
wink.gif

Last edited:
So the nearest DT is about an hour away but they have these Yokohama YK-HTX that look pretty good and might fit my needs perfect https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/yk-htx

Looks like they might be a DT exclusive. Wondering if anyone might have used a set? I was slow and missed the rebate
frown.gif

We have the same use pattern - we tow a travel trailer with a 2WD pickup and the most offroad is typical backing up a wet, dirty patch with 5,000lbs hanging off the ball.

I have revo 2s and like them alot but they probably aren't ideal if you are towing alot. there's a little more tread squirm on them than with the coopers I had before, but they are quiet and dig in well and traction hasn't been an issue. The main complaint against revos tends to be poor treadlife, and towing will exacerbate that. That said, they've become my go-to tire just because I know what I'm getting with them. This is my second set.

Firestone Destination ATs always get good marks from folks that just want a good tire that wears well and does truck life well including towing. We towed with Firestone Destination LE2s and while they handled the loads well, they were no good with a load in the wet, and that doubled with gravel, dirt, sticks, and a trailer on the back.

I've heard good things about the goodyear AT - the one with kevlar. reasonably quiet, good tread blocks, but I've shied away from them due to other poor GY experiences. Cooper AT3 scored very well in an article a while ago, it'd be a good one to look at too. I had cooper RTXs. they handled the best of the bunch with or without a load, the noise was average for an AT, but they did start cupping aearly on even with good rotating.

I have the Maxxis Bravo HT 770's from Pepboys in the 275/55/20. Best tires I've had in a very long time.

Put the Yokohama YK-HTX on today. So far so good 150 miles in
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back