Tire size advantage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looking at a 2017 used Edge Titanium. It has the factory wheels with 245-55-R19 tires.
The 2017 Edge SEL come with 245-60-R18. Is there an advantage with the 19" tires?

Originally Posted By: 2009Edge
I looking at a 2017 used Edge Titanium. It has the factory wheels with 245-55-R19 tires.
The 2017 Edge SEL come with 245-60-R18. Is there an advantage with the 19" tires?

Yes.......and NO.

From a performance perspective: Steering response, turn in, braking, and aesthetics, the 19's are the way to go.

From a day in day out perspective? The 18's would be better. Better ride, possibly better MPG's because the 19's are probably summer tires vs the 18's being all seasons. If both are summer tires? MPG's is a wash. You also would be better off if you hit a pot hole or anything, more side wall gives better protection from the road. Less cost to replace tires too.

Its personal preference. If you drive "Spiritedly" Go 19's. You just drive "Normal" Go with the 18's.

Hope this helps???

Jeff

There are exactly three possible reasons to pick a bigger wheel:

1. Brake clearance
2. Tire choice
3. Looks

Other than that, it's pretty much nothing but downsides. Heavier, more vulnerable to damage, more expensive. And the effect of the mass is even worse because most of it is farther from the middle. Any advantage it might have can easily be replicated by choosing a different tire.

If you don't need it to clear your brakes, don't need it for the tires you want, and aren't willing to sacrifice NVH/MPG/durability for looks, there's no real argument. The larger wheel would just be worse.

If you're looking at the same dealer, ask them if they'll swap. Get the titanium for the goodies and have them take the 18's off the SEL.

For what it's worth tires take a big jump in price between 18 and 19 sizes. Even if they look good I wouldn't take 19s over 18s on a small SUV like that.

To that point (expense) my pal was running 15's and 16 on everything.
Replacing 18" tires on a Mitsubishi Outlander gave him a heart attack.

Buy whatever esthetics you prefer. Me? I so hate this big wheel thing. Completely unnecessary.

In addition, some places may charge more for mounting low profile tires. I've seen 55 aspect ratio be be the threshold for that. I've also seen a price jump right at the 55 aspect ratio as well.

I would go for the 18s if it we're me (17s even, if the brakes would clear).

Originally Posted By: Kira

Buy whatever esthetics you prefer. Me? I so hate this big wheel thing. Completely unnecessary.

But the tire companies need to keep increasing profits every year...hard to do unless you sell something thats bigger and has a much larger price tag...lol

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
They're "prettier"

Depends on your audience.
I prefer shiny blackwall tirea with white writing like "BF Goodrich" written down the sides.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: Kira

But the tire companies need to keep increasing profits every year...hard to do unless you sell something thats bigger and has a much larger price tag...lol

It's not the tire companies' profits. It's the cars:

1. SUVs have proliferated and trucks have gotten bigger, so all vehicles need to be crash compatible with them.

2. Various safety regs have raised hood lines. The rest of the car's waistline has to match or it'll look silly.

3. General styling trends.

For those reasons, cars these days have high waistlines and big slab sides, so smaller wheels would look silly. IDGAF personally (hate the idea of paying for looks in any way), and I'm sure many here would agree. But the point is, enough people prioritize looks that the rest of us have to put up with worse products.

Brakes are getting bigger, too. Sometimes this is out of necessity; cars are heavy these days (see above), and always upping the ante. I'm sure there's also some combo of "because we can" (thanks to improving tire tech) and just filling out those huge rims they were going to have anyway. Either way, this often means you can't use a small rim even if you want to.

And because wheels are getting bigger, tire companies are slowly but surely trimming their offerings for smaller wheels. That exerts more pressure to stick with bigger ones.

So yeah, almost all bad reasons. FWIW, chances are you know a lot of people who are part of the problem. So, if you don't like it, speak up.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
There are exactly three possible reasons to pick a bigger wheel:

1. Brake clearance
2. Tire choice
3. Looks

Other than that, it's pretty much nothing but downsides. Heavier, more vulnerable to damage, more expensive. And the effect of the mass is even worse because most of it is farther from the middle. Any advantage it might have can easily be replicated by choosing a different tire.

If you don't need it to clear your brakes, don't need it for the tires you want, and aren't willing to sacrifice NVH/MPG/durability for looks, there's no real argument. The larger wheel would just be worse.

Nailed it. I was shocked to see my car in 05 after a long wait. But I soon realized that when the suspension is designed for the wheels then they make sense. Besides the Brembos would never fit without them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back